logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: The End of the Wizards Forums!
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 12:05 am 
The One True Sith Lord
The One True Sith Lord

So we are less than a week from the end of the license for Star Wars and the death of the Star Wars Forums.

I must say I am saddened by this. The current forums suck dont get me wrong and their change back at Gencon really killed the forums as we kind of all predicted. But overall I am completely saddened by this. Without the forums there would be no Gamers or no bloomilk. There would be no Dean going to Gencon which I guess could be translated there would be no SWM at Gencon or Regionals (but someone would have jumped in??? Right??)

No all of this would not be possible without the good ole forums. I miss the blue and the original forums. They were a hoot back in 2005 when I found them. Great stuff.... they even got better in 2006 when I actually joined and started posting.

No more will the rules forums have our answers there......

No more of the power creep bitching in General.

The end is near. I must say I will always miss the forums the way I found them back in 2005.. They were great fun. For once I think most folks might actually be happy there is gamers out here or even bloomilk (and it is not functioning tonight WTF!!!) for us to keep the flame alive.

But sometimes I just miss the days of the good wizards boards and looking forward to Rob sending us messages.... and waiting for Revenge of the Sith to come out at the theaters!!!!

But oh well I am certainly glad to have the greatest community of guys stopping by here.

So raise your glass to The Old BLue Wizards forums!!!!!

Collection: 934/934

SWM DCI Content Manager

Post subject: Re: The End of the Wizards Forums!
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 1:08 am 
General
General

I will miss the old blue forums too along with the smileys especially the smiley lifting the glass.

So without that smiley I will lift my own glass in hand and say to the old blue forums.

Khanbob42You, sir, are amazing :D

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 3:07 am 
General
General

Does that mean the forums will be removed when the license expires? I thought they'd just hang in there?

Well, I think I've already made my final post over there anyway. Receiving an unnecessarily rude (in my opinion) reply in a thread from a well-respected board member is the last straw for me. I don't think it was intended that way, but that's certainly the way it came across, and I don't need to subject myself to that. Sad that 5 years of forum participation ends like that.

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 4:44 am 
Mandalore
Mandalore

i never could log back into that place now a days

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 5:55 am 
Ugnaught Master!
Ugnaught Master!

Here, here! <lifting glass of Alderaan Ale>
If it hadn't been for those forums, I would never have met so many wonderful people, especially Dean and his family! So we salute you, WOTC Forums, for doing some good in the midst of all the bad and stupid things to occur on your many cluttered pages!

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 2:11 pm 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

Wedge772 wrote:
Does that mean the forums will be removed when the license expires? I thought they'd just hang in there?

Some say they will be gone after this month others say August when they stop selling the Star Wars products..but only time will tell

Things i've said in the past that got dismissed and now are being talked about:
restricting formats by set
Some chosing not to play the game if and when another company picks it up without the current mechanics

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 5:46 pm 
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice

To the wizards forums, then (raises cup of blue milk)!

I may have only discovered them when Bounty Hunters came, but I found many an inspiration and activity there.

Lots of memories:
-You Make the Stats
-Scenarios
-Play-By-Plays
-All the fun squads and customs
-Contests
I am proud to be a member of such a devout community devoted to the finesse and fun of a single game
Good times :Boba:

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 6:15 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

Well, looks like they just went and deleted the Star Wars site this afternoon. According to an announcement on the forums, they're going to keep the boards up for a while and were considerate enough to save some (if not all) of the articles to give back to us later.

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 6:29 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

Well, they took down the Star Wars site today. The Star Wars forum section is still there though.

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 6:52 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Figures they are prompt with THIS action regarding the SW section.

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 7:40 pm 
One of the Sith on Malgus' Shuttle
One of the Sith on Malgus' Shuttle

I'm glad I was able to download all the checklists and such before it bombed. I can't get into the site at work so it didn't even bother me they were closing it, more of an inconvenience for rules and such. It seems we've had an influx of some new people (3 new people tonight, whoot).

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 8:14 pm 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

jedispyder wrote:
I'm glad I was able to download all the checklists and such before it bombed. I can't get into the site at work so it didn't even bother me they were closing it, more of an inconvenience for rules and such. It seems we've had an influx of some new people (3 new people tonight, whoot).

Yeah something I neglected to do, grab all the rules insert pdf's and then just print out the errata and FAQ. Hoping to find that all somewhere soon.

And I must admit as soon as the latest forums change was made about a year ago I Stopped checking it for the most part it felt more like a struggle and not worth the time hehe. But it is where a lot of people met, and built this game up to excellence as well. Hopefullyt he forums are not down too much later from now the way they deleted the site itself.

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 9:17 pm 
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice

As long as SWMG are still around, I'm okay with WotC pulling the plug on the forums. I haven't been to that site in a few months anyway.

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 9:35 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

LMAO!!! Couldn't get the previews right, couldn't get the errata on time, missed the boat on updates, but ****ting on us was right on time.

Virtus Junxit Mors Non Separabit.

Last edited by LoboStele on Fri May 28, 2010 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Edited for language.

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 9:44 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Great, all the errata and rules inserts are gone! Glad they told us they were going to do that. Damn, I just realized that means the article I wrote about the first championship is gone, too.

Hope someone pulled that stuff off.

JERKS!!!

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 9:54 pm 
The One True Sith Lord
The One True Sith Lord

wow yes it is gone like that.

And people really think it is going to last until August???? LOL!!!

Look they wont kill threads but they will move them in some off-topic place no one will find.

Collection: 934/934

SWM DCI Content Manager

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 10:07 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well, at least they gave us a couple of hours of notice. :lol:

WotC_Trevor May 27, 2010 - 4:22PM wrote:
Hey all. As you probably already know, our contract with Star Wars is ending in May. As part of that, we'll need to discontinue our Star Wars website. That is most likely going to happen later today.

Now we've already grabbed a lot of the information from the pages, such as FAQs, articles, and other info, and we'll be parsing out what we have and posting up the important bits in the forums as sticky threads throughout the next couple weeks. This is also your last chance to copy and paste your favorite pages to make sure you always have your favorite articles.

We will definitely maintain these forums as a place to talk about your SW games and all the SW products we've produced, and you should see us posting up some of the more basic FAQ and errata documents in the next few days.

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 10:10 pm 
Ugnaught Master!
Ugnaught Master!

For some reason, the initials of the final huge set are ringing in my head over and over again . . .

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 7:19 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

I just recently downloaded the latest FAQ and Errata to make sure I had up to date stuff on hand for the Regional. I know some of the other guys recently downloaded some of the checklists and stuff. I'm sure that with everybody's help, we can re-assemble most of the data.

Dennis, you might try shooting CS an email real quick to see if they can recover your article about the '07 Championship. They may have removed the page from their site, but I'd bet the data still exists, at least for a little while.

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 9:46 am 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

dnemiller wrote:
So we are less than a week from the end of the license for Star Wars and the death of the Star Wars Forums.

This isn't true.

If you read the post by Trevor he said that they had to take down the "official" WotC/LFL SW minis/rpg site because the license is over in a few days (most of which is the weekend and a holiday when people are not in the office). So they had to take it down a few days early.

Quote:
As you probably already know, our contract with Star Wars is ending in May. As part of that, we'll need to discontinue our Star Wars website.

Translation-They legally have to take down that site as Star Wars is owned by a different company.

Yes it sucks that they gave a few hours notice that it was going completely away but they announce before the release of the last products that they were not continuing the line. They even said that the official site would not be up for long. They gave anyone a couple of months notice to get what they wanted from that site. Then before it was taken down Trevor gave the community a head's up so they could grab any important articles that they wanted and wouldn't have access to for the next couple of days.

Furthermore it is stated that they are planning on moving the articles from official site to the forums of our games and that they will be continuing to support those forums for players to use. So those articles are not gone. They are being moved.

Quote:
Now we've already grabbed a lot of the information from the pages, such as FAQs, articles, and other info, and we'll be parsing out what we have and posting up the important bits in the forums as sticky threads throughout the next couple weeks.

Translation-The info from the official site will be moved to the forums so that players STILL have access to them. On top of that they will be putting up the newest FAQ/Errata to cover the last few products that came out. They can't run a official Star Wars site but they can run the forums of the games they created even without the license.

I will be helping place the material from the official site onto the forums so that the most important articles dealing with the game play is there and in an easy to find matter. It wasn't something I planned to do but I'm willing to do it so that the community still has that material and it is not buried and never can be found.

I am disappointed by the bile that some members thought that they had to spew on the WotC forums because they always see any action done by people who are just trying to do their job (and legally have to do some actions as the license is over) as a direct insult made at them personally. It's too bad. The rpg players on the same forums were just as unhappy about the lose of the offical mini/rpg site going down but they did not resort to making the low class responses such as those made by several minis players. I understand the frustration and the upset feelings but throwing a tantrum is not the way to fix the problem.

It will take some time but I hope to see the treasure trove of information from the official site make it completely to the forums. I will not give a time I expect all the work to be done as I will be doing this on my own free time and will be running the other four contests on those boards at the same time.