logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Re: Galactic Campaign Map
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 8:56 pm 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

I just created a galaxy map like this for use with my SAGA campaign. I got sick of having to check 5 different maps to find one planet so I put all the relevant ones on one map. Of course, it was hand drawn and took ages to find locations for all the planets. It has been really useful in my campaign, though, and I can highly recommend such an idea. I kept the background white so I could colour the planet with dry erase markers to show who was controlling them (in a Clone Wars setting) and show fleet movements.
Provided it's close enough to know what each planet is without infringing copyright, I think it's an excellent idea.

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 2:43 am 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

LESHIPPY wrote:
Jedicartographer wrote:
Mapmaker wrote:
I think it's a cool idea, but I'd be concerned about legal issues if you plan to label it with system names from Star Wars and then offer it for sale. If you plan to keep it generic, as you seem to suggest, you'd be safe with unlabeled planet/system graphics.

No it'll be generic, It may resemble the Star Wars galaxy a bit, but it'll be different.

And you had me up until here....

Some of my crew and I have been tinkering with a galactic battles game dort of like risk, yet sort of different. In a nut shell you have to win two of teh three game to take over a planet. Each one being at different point levels 100, 150, 200. We have some rules that we started working on before WOTC decided to drop the game and my time had to be committed to other projects.

The kicker of it it was the Star Wars galaxy not a bunch of random planets that sort of look like the Star Wars galaxy.

I've never bought any of the map packs, mostly because the one game store had a ton of maps and resources from other games that fit very well into SWM. But If there was an actual SW Galaxy map grid or Hex.. personally I'd prefer Hex... I'd be more than down for such a thing, but the idea of just a generic galaxy isn't nearly as exciting.

Where I don't doubt it would look fantastic and of incredible quality I just find it a lot less exciting for a generic map instead of the real galaxy I guess, but then again I'd prolly still be into it.. But hey, I guess I look forward to such a project if you work on it at all =)

also that idea for taking over planets sounds like fun, I wouldn't mind trying that out to my own design sometime.

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 6:33 am 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

Dimetrodon wrote:
LESHIPPY wrote:
Jedicartographer wrote:
Mapmaker wrote:
I think it's a cool idea, but I'd be concerned about legal issues if you plan to label it with system names from Star Wars and then offer it for sale. If you plan to keep it generic, as you seem to suggest, you'd be safe with unlabeled planet/system graphics.

No it'll be generic, It may resemble the Star Wars galaxy a bit, but it'll be different.

And you had me up until here....

Some of my crew and I have been tinkering with a galactic battles game dort of like risk, yet sort of different. In a nut shell you have to win two of teh three game to take over a planet. Each one being at different point levels 100, 150, 200. We have some rules that we started working on before WOTC decided to drop the game and my time had to be committed to other projects.

The kicker of it it was the Star Wars galaxy not a bunch of random planets that sort of look like the Star Wars galaxy.

I've never bought any of the map packs, mostly because the one game store had a ton of maps and resources from other games that fit very well into SWM. But If there was an actual SW Galaxy map grid or Hex.. personally I'd prefer Hex... I'd be more than down for such a thing, but the idea of just a generic galaxy isn't nearly as exciting.

Where I don't doubt it would look fantastic and of incredible quality I just find it a lot less exciting for a generic map instead of the real galaxy I guess, but then again I'd prolly still be into it.. But hey, I guess I look forward to such a project if you work on it at all =)

also that idea for taking over planets sounds like fun, I wouldn't mind trying that out to my own design sometime.

You have to understand, I don’t have a Lucasfilm, license to actually make a “Star Wars Galaxy”, but the map will be close enough to it that you’ll be able to use it in the RPG, or war campaigns just fine.

None gets excited anything generic. But the word generic itself tend to bring about yawns. Multipurpose is a better word.

"Micro-managment Breeds Incompetence"

Being a Star Wars Miniatures Hall of Famer is a Responsibilty Not a Priveledge.

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 9:31 am 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

LESHIPPY wrote:

That sounds like a lot of fun. I've thought about trying to come up with a game style like that a few times, inspired by the galactic conquest mode in the PC game Empire at War. But i never got far with it as it got too complex. But if you ever come up with a rule set, i hope you post it here.

Dimetrodon wrote:

It would be even more cool if you would first have to use SSB ships to battle for orbital control and then land your troops for planetary control!

My trade thread: http://swmgamers.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=8437

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 2:45 pm 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Jedicartographer wrote:
You have to understand, I don’t have a Lucasfilm, license to actually make a “Star Wars Galaxy”, but the map will be close enough to it that you’ll be able to use it in the RPG, or war campaigns just fine.

None gets excited anything generic. But the word generic itself tend to bring about yawns. Multipurpose is a better word.

No I fully understand why about the License thing, I'll admit I wouldn't have thought much about it right off the bat as far as creating such a thing but yeah I see why it's better to avoid.

and Multipurpose is a much better word =)

Probably the more I think about it I realize I'd really like a map like this, I look forward to it.

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 11:44 pm 
Customizer Extrodinaire
Customizer Extrodinaire

That sounds cool! Now what would be really neat is if, for each planet you have on the map, you eventually make a skirmish map for (a huge undertaking, but epic!). Then players could have a massive, galaxy-wide campaign lasting for months at least. Like risk, but where each battle is it's own SWM battle. Now that would be something...

Ah.......wishful thinking...

"Genius is 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration."
-Thomas Edison

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 10:11 am 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

Roque Saber wrote:
That sounds cool! Now what would be really neat is if, for each planet you have on the map, you eventually make a skirmish map for (a huge undertaking, but epic!). Then players could have a massive, galaxy-wide campaign lasting for months at least. Like risk, but where each battle is it's own SWM battle. Now that would be something...

Ah.......wishful thinking...

A friend of mine and I have been kicking that idea around for a few months now. Once we have something concrete, we'll probably propose the idea to our LGS to see how it works. It'll either be a blast or a bookkeeping nightmare (probably a bit of both)

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 7:25 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

Well the response seems pretty positive, and it would be a nice change of pace. now to complicate things who would rather have a map for Starship battles 2.0?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:43 am 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Whatever happened to this project JC? Is it still on the 'to do' list or did it get canned?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:36 am 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

biggsy wrote:
Whatever happened to this project JC? Is it still on the 'to do' list or did it get canned?

I made it, it looked horrible, and I forgot about it! Strangely enough I got to thinking about it just yesterday.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:14 am 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Jedicartographer wrote:
I made it, it looked horrible, and I forgot about it! Strangely enough I got to thinking about it just yesterday.

Wow my telepathic skills were even stronger than i thought then ;)

It would be great to have this map published at some point. Not sure if it would even be worth it for you though. But i'll keep my fingers crossed :) It would be great for campaign games, especially since we now have a wide variety of different maps for the various planets.