logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: New Map: Offworld Transport Facility
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 12:47 pm 
General
General

Here's my newest creation, folks!

Feedback is welcome; I'll be putting up a site to collect pre-orders soon, but if you folks find anything game-bustingly wrong with the map that can be easily fixed, I can still make minor changes.

This map is meant to be fun and competitive, but I don't feel that it's my strongest with regard to tournament-level balance. I think you'll find that there are a lot of unusual shooting lanes that can get pretty treacherous if the doors are blown. Anyway, I'll let you folks be the judge. :)

Larger view:
http://www.mapsofmastery.com/swmstuff/TransportFacility72dpi.jpg

Close-up views:

Post subject: Re: New Map: Offworld Transport Facility
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 1:15 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

That looks EXCELLENT!

I really like the lay-out, and I love how it will mesh with the other Transit maps without looking like it's too much of the same. Very well done. I like how this one is sort of a polar opposite of the Cargo Docks. That one is very cramped and Melee friendly, this one is a bit more open.

You're certainly right, with all the doors blown, there's some interesting firing lanes. But to be honest, I'm not sure they are THAT bad. On first glance, I would say this might be a great map for the Restricted list simply to give shooter squads somewhat of an option, especially if you also include Cargo Docks for the Restricted list. Sure there's some nasty lanes, but gambit is still pretty well contained, and there are places on both sides where you can hide nearby but completely out of LOS, or possibly even hide within gambit and still be somewhat protected.

I like how you re-used the ship in the upper left hand corner. That's the one on your Dagobah tile as well, isn't it?

Again, completely disregarding miniatures play on this map, I am SUPER psyched to run an RPG scenario using these 3 maps. That's going to be epic. And in fact, if you make your PCs start on, say, the Cargo Docks map, then work their way through Freight Transit Station and Offworld Shipping Center, then you could end with the Transport Facility, and probably actually not need 2 copies of the map to pull it off. Just wait till your PCs have all moved off that map, and then move it to the other end of the long row of maps. :)

Still, I'll probably order 2 just to be safe. I still need to get the Swamp Caves map though too, so looks like I need to place an order here soon! :D

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 1:18 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Sweet!

I can better see how the various maps fit together now. Very cool :D

Edit: Any chance we could get some thumbnails of them linked up?

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 1:45 pm 
General
General

If this is the map on the back of the other train map you just showed recently i'll have to get 2. :D other wise I'll have to choose which side to use in the long train chain.

Khanbob42You, sir, are amazing :D

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 1:55 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

I'd like to announce at this time that the intention for this year's Clone Wars mass battle event is to use the Train Station lay-out, including the map unveiled today, along with the one unveiled a few weeks ago.

Thanks to Mapmaker for making these maps his next project!

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 2:08 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Oooh, that should make the Clone Wars event VERY interesting. More like some of the TV cartoon episodes. Cool. I look forward to seeing how it goes.

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 3:24 pm 
General
General

Thanks, folks!

I'm really happy that Boris wanted to do this for his mass battle event, and pleased that I was able to fit them into my work schedule. :)

For those interested, there's a super-huge image of my train posters assembled here, to show one possible combination of 6 posters:
http://www.mapsofmastery.com/swmstuff/CompositeMap.jpg

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 3:30 pm 
General
General

LoboStele wrote:
I like how you re-used the ship in the upper left hand corner. That's the one on your Dagobah tile as well, isn't it?

Yep, it's the same vehicle type.

Incidentally, you might notice that all three of the starships on this poster are contained within a 5x7 space. Each of them can be removed simply by placing a terrain card on top. (And the poster will include a free landing pad terrain card...)

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 7:55 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Mapmaker wrote:
Thanks, folks!

I'm really happy that Boris wanted to do this for his mass battle event, and pleased that I was able to fit them into my work schedule. :)

For those interested, there's a super-huge image of my train posters assembled here, to show one possible combination of 6 posters:

Thanks for the composite pic. :)

Wow. That is just freakin' awesome. Now where is my drool bucket? :mrgreen:

I so wish I could go to Gencon to play in the mass battle... I'll have to settle for the home version I guess. :DDroid:

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 9:26 am 
General
General

OK, folks! The funding drive for this poster is now active! Please go pledge your support:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/map ... poster-map

I'm using Kickstarter as a pre-order engine for this project. No money changes hands unless the funding goal has been met or exceeded by midnight on June 8th. The goal is $2500; this covers the cost of printing, and the expected cost of shipping posters to all of the backers.

The minimum pledge needed to receive a copy of the map is $14, but you can pledge less if you just want to lend support, or more if you want extra copies of my posters or other special rewards as detailed on the site! The more funding you pledge, the more you get, and this is a great way to get your maps without any shipping costs! You can even use this funding drive to get copies of my other maps along with your copy of "Mass Transit II"

There are 24 days to go; please help me spread the word throughout the SWM community!

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 9:47 am 
One of the Sith on Malgus' Shuttle
One of the Sith on Malgus' Shuttle

Looks beautiful! Can't wait to try it out. And since I missed out on the last 2 maps I went ahead and pledged for the 3 maps option. Hope you get enough pledges ^_^

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 6:57 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Mapmaker wrote:
Thanks, folks!

Awsome!!! Is it 3x3 then?

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 7:41 am 
General
General

These maps are made to tile out in a number of ways, so you're only limited by how many copies you have on hand. I'd love to see what folks could do with, say, a dozen of them all placed together to create an entire spaceport.

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 8:19 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

If I counted right, the composite pic used MT-I x2, MT-II x3, and Train Station x1.

I might have to play with the individual pics and see what else can be done before I order. :)

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 11:57 pm 
General
General

Please do, Swinefeld! I'd love to see what you come up with!

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 8:56 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Mapmaker wrote:
OK, folks! The funding drive for this poster is now active! Please go pledge your support:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/map ... poster-map

I'm using Kickstarter as a pre-order engine for this project. No money changes hands unless the funding goal has been met or exceeded by midnight on June 8th. The goal is $2500; this covers the cost of printing, and the expected cost of shipping posters to all of the backers.

The minimum pledge needed to receive a copy of the map is $14, but you can pledge less if you just want to lend support, or more if you want extra copies of my posters or other special rewards as detailed on the site! The more funding you pledge, the more you get, and this is a great way to get your maps without any shipping costs! You can even use this funding drive to get copies of my other maps along with your copy of "Mass Transit II"

There are 24 days to go; please help me spread the word throughout the SWM community!

Just pledged my support! This works out great, as I still need a copy of Forsaken Lands, and I want two copies of MTII.

This process was SUPER easy guys, especially if you already have a Facebook/Amazon account. Took me like 5 minutes. Trust me, you don't want to miss out on these maps!

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 10:56 am 
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice

Looks great! We may not be getting any new minis in the near future...but at least we can get excited about new maps! Great job!

Now...how 'bout a Yuuzhan Vong themed map? :D