SWMGAMERS.com Forums
http://swmgamers.com/forums/

A&E fixes?
http://swmgamers.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8967
Page 1 of 2

Author:  Gurneywars [ Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:39 pm ]
Post subject:  A&E fixes?

Well it is a sad day today. I have been cataloging and organizing all my minis for there final placement in the game room of mine. So far to this point I thought maybe I had gotten a better batch of minis of the alliance and empire set then a lot of people. They are finally beginning to get that dusty look. So i never heard an answer is it the paint? I can fix that for good. Is it the plastic?

If its the plastic what have you tried to do and has it worked?

Author:  Ruhk [ Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:21 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: A&E fixes?

Its actually the plastic dissolving. Not much you can do about it other than wipe it down.

Author:  Engineer [ Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:47 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: A&E fixes?

Ruhk wrote:
Its actually the plastic dissolving. Not much you can do about it other than wipe it down.

Really? I thought it was mold release and once wiped off would not return. I'll have to check my Ithorian Commander.

Author:  Gurneywars [ Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:10 am ]
Post subject:  Re: A&E fixes?

I tried wiping down a couple of the storm commandos and it worked to a point but the elbows and knee areas stayed grayish.

I was thinking of trying to wipe down then repaint the black parts since thats where it seems to be happening the heaviest at. Then trying to seal up the pieces with a clear coating and see if that helps.

Author:  Ruhk [ Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:51 am ]
Post subject:  Re: A&E fixes?

Engineer wrote:
Ruhk wrote:
Its actually the plastic dissolving. Not much you can do about it other than wipe it down.

Really? I thought it was mold release and once wiped off would not return. I'll have to check my Ithorian Commander.


http://www.slate.com/id/2221963/
Interesting article about plastic that help to forumlate my theory about A&E. :)

Author:  Gurneywars [ Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:01 am ]
Post subject:  Re: A&E fixes?

Thanks ruhk I have read that article before.

Not very encouraging. :|

Author:  Engineer [ Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:59 am ]
Post subject:  Re: A&E fixes?

I had not read that article before.

So I guess that I will need to sell my mini's before they start to fall apart too much.

Author:  Gurneywars [ Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:42 am ]
Post subject:  Re: A&E fixes?

or just use them to create a mold
then use the mold for more minis with material that is longer lasting.

Author:  Dendrite [ Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:02 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: A&E fixes?

I thought Jabba, Crime Lord looked slimier than normal... :mrgreen:

Author:  Gurneywars [ Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:02 am ]
Post subject:  Re: A&E fixes?

:lol:

Author:  eMouse [ Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:20 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: A&E fixes?

Well, I thought a while back someone said that the cause was that the plastic hadn't cured completely and that boiling a figure for a few minutes would help cure the figure, clean it, and let you correct bent bits.

No idea if it's true or not.

Anyone ever tried boiling a figure and did it help?

Author:  honeybunny [ Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:53 am ]
Post subject:  Re: A&E fixes?

It's a shame that wizos botched the figs in A&E so badly, because there's so much great stuff in the set.

:fight2:

Author:  Cerous Mutor [ Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:50 am ]
Post subject:  Re: A&E fixes?

eMouse wrote:
Well, I thought a while back someone said that the cause was that the plastic hadn't cured completely and that boiling a figure for a few minutes would help cure the figure, clean it, and let you correct bent bits.

No idea if it's true or not.

Anyone ever tried boiling a figure and did it help?


i shall give that a go.

Author:  Gurneywars [ Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:02 am ]
Post subject:  Re: A&E fixes?

sounds like something to try anything that might work is better then nothing

Author:  dalsiandon [ Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:40 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: A&E fixes?

Ruhk wrote:
Its actually the plastic dissolving. Not much you can do about it other than wipe it down.


Wow I'd never heard that before. This is interesting. I'm gonna try to boil method and see if that helps. It's interesting because it's not jsut with A&E, but it is the set where it is most notable.

Author:  Ruhk [ Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:15 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: A&E fixes?

I should clarify that in case you didn't read the article.
Plastic is at its basis long string of polymers held together with a bonding agent called a plastisizer. The plastic starts to 'break down' when the plastisizer dissolves. Since the plastisizer keeps the plastic mallible and 'fresh, the end result is that the plastic will eventually be hard and brittle.

I guess just a reminder that A&E won't last as long as the other sets! Usually plastisizer have a lifespan of 20-30 years, musta got some bad chemicals!

Author:  Gurneywars [ Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:58 am ]
Post subject:  Re: A&E fixes?

dalsiandon wrote:
Ruhk wrote:
Its actually the plastic dissolving. Not much you can do about it other than wipe it down.


Wow I'd never heard that before. This is interesting. I'm gonna try to boil method and see if that helps. It's interesting because it's not jsut with A&E, but it is the set where it is most notable.


A&E is the most noticeable

I'm not seeing it on any pre A&E

I'm seeing it only on 2 other sets so far and both are in the 40 piece time table.

Author:  Cerous Mutor [ Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:12 am ]
Post subject:  Re: A&E fixes?

Ruhk wrote:
I should clarify that in case you didn't read the article.
Plastic is at its basis long string of polymers held together with a bonding agent called a plastisizer. The plastic starts to 'break down' when the plastisizer dissolves. Since the plastisizer keeps the plastic mallible and 'fresh, the end result is that the plastic will eventually be hard and brittle.

I guess just a reminder that A&E won't last as long as the other sets! Usually plastisizer have a lifespan of 20-30 years, musta got some bad chemicals!



I did not know that!!

So once again I say :saber: you wotc for giving us crap.

Has any hard working person there made molds of the whole set?
I'd do want to keep using Wicket and Lando DS

Author:  Dendrite [ Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:11 am ]
Post subject:  Re: A&E fixes?

Ruhk wrote:
II guess just a reminder that A&E won't last as long as the other sets! Usually plastisizer have a lifespan of 20-30 years, musta got some bad chemicals!

So you're saying that in 20-30 years, 38 of my miniatures are going to dissolve? :o I guess at least, Boba Fett, Enforcer will know what its like to be disintegrated...

Author:  Ruhk [ Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:43 am ]
Post subject:  Re: A&E fixes?

hard to say if they're be piles of goo.. but they'd certainly be hard, brittle, and cracked or esily cracked.

Page 1 of 2 All times are UTC - 6 hours
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/