logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Considering Uses of the Noble
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:45 pm 
Unnamed Stormtrooper
Unnamed Stormtrooper

First post. I have to say, I am much more interested in the Noble than any other figure released so far for TFU. His rules are so unusual, and I know there are a ton of uses that people haven't even considered yet. I feel he will be one piece I include in many decks, (just like the Ugnaught right now).

I wanted to start this thread to discuss. Obviously, for gambit, he will be useful. He will be a good door opener too. What other purposes can you use him for?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:50 pm 
Unnamed Stormtrooper
Unnamed Stormtrooper

One question:

Rule: Adjacent Enemies: If enemies are adjacent to the attacker, it must target one of those enemies.

If you have a Noble next to an enemy, the rules state the enemy needs to target the Noble (per rule above). But, the Noble character is not a legal target. Does that mean since he is still adjacent, but not a legal target, your enemy model needs to first move away to shoot another of your models?

If so, I am going to use a bunch, as I love making enemies move to lose Double Attack, Careful Shot, etc.

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Considering Uses of the Noble
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:51 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Mezmaron wrote:
First post. I have to say, I am much more interested in the Noble than any other figure released so far for TFU. His rules are so unusual, and I know there are a ton of uses that people haven't even considered yet. I feel he will be one piece I include in many decks, (just like the Ugnaught right now).

I wanted to start this thread to discuss. Obviously, for gambit, he will be useful. He will be a good door opener too. What other purposes can you use him for?
Mobile Blocking terrain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:40 pm 
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina

Answer to Mezmaron: No, since the Noble's no longer a valid target, the attacker does NOT have to move to attack someone else.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:31 am 
Warmaster
Warmaster

This is not a figure i am interested in, but i think it can have it's use es. I will not use it myself in mini games but am glad it's a new figure with different stats and can bring something new to the game. While i will not use him others will.
Good for other rpg games as well.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:59 am 
Ugnaught Master!
Ugnaught Master!

madslaust wrote:
Mobile Blocking terrain.

I love this idea! Use them to hold open a doorway, but everyone else in the back. If you are facing a melee only squad, this can nearly be a game breaker if the only legal targets they can see are behind the Nobles. Very sneaky.
I had a quick idea. Nobles and X-1 Viper Droids. "I'm sorry, if you wish to shoot me, better hope your dice can roll well for more than just attacking!"

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:57 pm 
General
General

dvader831 wrote:
madslaust wrote:
Mobile Blocking terrain.

I love this idea! Use them to hold open a doorway, but everyone else in the back. If you are facing a melee only squad, this can nearly be a game breaker if the only legal targets they can see are behind the Nobles. Very sneaky.
I had a quick idea. Nobles and X-1 Viper Droids. "I'm sorry, if you wish to shoot me, better hope your dice can roll well for more than just attacking!"

Lol, you love the idea, I despise it. Half written rules like these is what makes this game more Warhammer like every set. I hope there is additional errata that prevents these characters from being road blocks or cover granters.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:11 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

emr131 wrote:
dvader831 wrote:
madslaust wrote:
Mobile Blocking terrain.

Lol, you love the idea, I despise it. Half written rules like these is what makes this game more Warhammer like every set. I hope there is additional errata that prevents these characters from being road blocks or cover granters.

I agree with you, I don't like the noble either, though I do see some ways to counter them though, flight characters would work well to fly over the door blockers and then attack other enemies. Force Leap would also let you jump over them. There are also situations where you could move your character so that you can't see any other enemies other than the nobles, then you can attack them.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 3:49 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

emr131 wrote:
dvader831 wrote:
madslaust wrote:
Mobile Blocking terrain.

They don't grant cover.

“Those with no tactical ability at all may never understand or accept it. Nor will such people understand or accept the tactician. To those without that ability, those who posses it are a mystery.” - Mitth’raw’nuruodo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 3:58 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

thejumpingflea wrote:
emr131 wrote:
dvader831 wrote:
madslaust wrote:
Mobile Blocking terrain.

They don't grant cover.

true, but you can't move through them though which means they could be annoying since they can block certain gaps, block doors depending on how many nobles the opponent has.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:43 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

thejumpingflea wrote:
They don't grant cover.

Where did this come from?

Diplomat - This character is not a legal target, and does not count as the nearest enemy, if an enemy without Diplomat is in line of sight. These restrictions apply even to adjacent attackers

As long as an ally w/o Diplomat is in LoS, the Noble can't be targeted - it doesn't say anything about not providing cover. Would you please explain?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:03 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

headache62 wrote:
thejumpingflea wrote:
They don't grant cover.

Diplomat - This character is not a legal target, and does not count as the nearest enemy, if an enemy without Diplomat is in line of sight. These restrictions apply even to adjacent attackers

As long as an ally w/o Diplomat is in LoS, the Noble can't be targeted - it doesn't say anything about not providing cover. Would you please explain?

Sorry, I meant that they don't give a character like Nom SS. Being unable to count as the nearest enemy...

“Those with no tactical ability at all may never understand or accept it. Nor will such people understand or accept the tactician. To those without that ability, those who posses it are a mystery.” - Mitth’raw’nuruodo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:05 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

thejumpingflea wrote:
Sorry, I meant that they don't give a character like Nom SS. Being unable to count as the nearest enemy...

Gotcha.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:33 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

This is a lame idea; really really lame. It's ripe for abuse and doesn't feel like Star Wars. If it was a bit more along the lines of draw fire I think it could be workable. This is just a way to drive oppenents crazy while bringing action to a halt.

Archives of the Gamers Jedi
is designed to be your official source for in-game rules questions!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:36 pm 
General
General

thejumpingflea wrote:
headache62 wrote:
thejumpingflea wrote:
They don't grant cover.

Why not? If a Noble is granting Nom cover, then his SS kicks in and you can't attack either.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:18 am 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

Quote:
Why not? If a Noble is granting Nom cover, then his SS kicks in and you can't attack either.

This would be my understanding too.

The noble will be an interesting character to play and is certainly one of the most interesting characters to be released.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:04 am 

I just love the thought of a 23 defense character walking directly behind one of these as it moves up the board.

Of course attacks like grenades, missiles, force, lightning, etc will kill them off quickly.

I also like the idea of using 2 or 3 of them to block a corridor to prevent a melee advance.

Hmm, Vader unleashed, standing 2 squares behind a blocking row of Diplomats.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:40 am 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

This seems like one of those characters where we don't know the full potential until after we've play-tested it for awhile. I'm looking forward to using the Noble.

And Caamasi! That is absolutely cool.

She giveth, and she taketh away.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:43 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Jedi1972 wrote:
And Caamasi! That is absolutely cool.

No kidding. This is one of the first times I've seen the set-list and thought "Oh wow...that's an odd choice for an alien race to add in". Once I saw the piece, and found out it was a Diplomat, it made perfect sense.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:34 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

Wedge772 wrote:
thejumpingflea wrote:
headache62 wrote:
thejumpingflea wrote:
They don't grant cover.

Yeah, they're a character, just not a legal target. They still provide cover unless you're adjacent to them.