logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: The Future of Custom Maps.
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:37 am 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

I’ve been thinking long and hard about what’s next for me. I have a lot of projects I want to do. Some are sure hits and others are gambles. I have received a lot of offers, and many wonderful opportunities have been laid before me.

First off I want to discuss the “perpetual battle station”. Basically it’s a set of oddly shaped tiles that overlay onto a terrain grid. Think the blank maps in the first 2 starter kits with different shaped tiles, for more options regarding game play. I think I would release the initial tile set, and then make the rest available for free download. Or perhaps I can release periodical tile sets throughout the year.

Then I have the upcoming Map Series I want to do throughout 2010. “The Masters’ Series” will be a series of maps that are collaborations of some of the most knowledgeable players in the game, ensuring a focus on game play superiority. This series will probably eat up most of 2010, not leaving room for an actual map pack.

Then of Course I guess I have to think about the next pack. I have to think about how I want to release it. I have to weigh options. I can probably do it all through miniature market again. Or I could do it myself, and take a few risks. Although the financial rewards would be greater if I did it myself, there would be a significant amount more work to do. However it is work that I’ve already done before. My greatest fear is that the online community isn’t as active as it was before, and I don’t know if I could drum up enough interest on my own, and get the preorders I need.

The other great honor bestowed on me is providing the maps for the mystery map tourney at GenCon. I need to make that a priority as well!

Then threes always the fear in the back of my mind that the game is not going to last forever. How many more years is it going to go? And when the time comes, are we still going to keep playing, and are we going to want more maps?

I have a lot of thinking, planning and soul searching ahead of me. I guess I wanted to open it up a general discussion about custom maps and what lies ahead. You all know I’ve always done my best to involve everyone in my decisions, and I guess I’m hoping to hear you input about what you want, the state of the game as it pertains to custom maps, and anything in general.

"Micro-managment Breeds Incompetence"

Being a Star Wars Miniatures Hall of Famer is a Responsibilty Not a Priveledge.

Post subject: Re: The Future of Custom Maps.
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:42 am 
Name Calling Internet Bully

I think doing the Masters series and the Gencon mystery map is more than enough to cover you for 2010. I would focus all efforts on really making those your greatest maps yet and worry about 2011 sometime next summer. :) At this time, I don't think another map pack in addition to the 2 you have done, the Mos Eisley set, and the Masters series is warranted. You don't want to flood the market, as there isn't a never ending demand. Give it another year, and then more interest is likely to come.

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:12 am 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

I think I may cancel the next map pack all together, and somehow incorperate it into the masters series. It's just a thought.

I honestly think smaller sets more often is easier on me then 2 or 3 big sets every year

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:14 pm 
General
General

That's more or less the approach I'm taking; my goal is to release a new double-sided poster each quarter, with the occasional special project (cards, books, etc.) in between.

Congrats about the mystery map tournament. That's something Jim and I discussed a bit after Gen Con; I didn't know he had gone ahead with it, but I'm glad it's still in the works and I'm sure it will get a great number of sign-ups.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:22 pm 

I think Chris makes a good point, smaller projects may be the way to go. You might even consider doing the masters series as a few smaller projects spread over the year. Just a thought. I know shipping is cheaper for everyone with the packs, but it might make the whole thing more manageable for you.

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:01 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

I think that’s been the plan the whole time actually. The masters’ series was meant to be smaller projects done more frequently.

I've always approached the map packs the same way I approached writing albums when I was in bands. They are huge undertakings, collections of loose concepts with common bonds. It's been gratifying, but exhausting and time consuming. I've toyed with the notion of doing it lighter and more rapidly but I just don't know if it’s me taking an easy way out.

There’s a flip side to the masters’ series. While they will be the best maps ever, they won't be my works completely. There is something a little un-gratifying about that. But that’s why I think adding what could have been Map Pack 3 into the series, maybe as the flip side of each map, it may be more rewarding. I could release 4 quarterly maps, 2 of my own complete designs, and 2 of the masters’ series.

Every coin in every scenario seems to have a flip side I guess.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:04 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

Mapmaker wrote:
Congrats about the mystery map tournament. That's something Jim and I discussed a bit after Gen Con; I didn't know he had gone ahead with it, but I'm glad it's still in the works and I'm sure it will get a great number of sign-ups.

Thank You, I can't even begin to say how honored I am about the whole thing. As you all know having my maps in any kind of Tourney at GenCon has been a big dream of mine. In all honesty I would say its probably one of the biggest events of my life.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:30 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

I have to agree that Star Wars minis won't last forever (but I'm hoping it keeps up for awhile). I think regardless of what happens to SWM there will always be something to design & illustrate maps for. I mean, there are so many games out there that don't have the production quality that SWM maps have.

That being said, I think there's potential for tiles and for smaller more frequent map releases. Really, packs of 2 double-sided maps can be great; West has already proven that a single double-sided map works well if both sides are well done. I'm looking forward to the possibility of a Masters' series.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:37 am 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

So anyone making maps for SWM knows, try to avoid using the word "Droid" on your map.

Star Wars is where the term originates, even though it's short for android, and because of that, Lucas holds the term as a trademark, and has taken steps in the past to protect it.

If you look at the advertising for the Droid phone, you can fine the trademark statement.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:41 am 
General
General

I wondered how they got away with using the word Droid for the phone.

That's one of many terms I've been careful not to use on my independent map projects. Another one is "hyperdrive"--though I think it has been used in enough different places to be reasonably safe, I'd rather not take any chances. :)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:46 pm 
Mandalore
Mandalore

Location: Aboard the Exocarrier Resalute, waiting to free all SWMer's from Tyrnany
As someone who sketches only and just designs but doesn't go as far as all of you guys with your awesome maps and skills I think as long as people are playign this game having new maps will always be desirable, even if WOTC stops producing fig's the game can still be played and at that time the more maps the merrier to allow for continued play in varied enviorments. After all we've all seen the difference that the map (by itself) can have on the game. And think of all the possible scenarios and RPGers that use maps and would love so many different enviorments.

Member of the SWMRAC
Member of the Completed till the End and Beyond Club

Come rate my squads on Bloomilk...http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.a ... dalsiandon