logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Do you listen to the Sith Holonews Network?
Yes I listen live 6%  6%  [ 3 ]
I download it and listen 53%  53%  [ 25 ]
Sometimes Listen Live, Sometimes Download 26%  26%  [ 12 ]
Did not know about it 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
No 15%  15%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 47

Post subject: Re: Have You Listened to the Sith Holonews Network Yet????
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:39 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I listen every week!

It's like a great drama. You boo whenever Bill is on, hiss whenever Dean talks and cheer madly at the week's special guest. I love it! :D

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:04 am 
Name Calling Internet Bully

Boba52 wrote:
I listen every week!

It's like a great drama. You boo whenever Bill is on, hiss whenever Dean talks and cheer madly at the week's special guest. I love it! :D

We call that Sith Lord applause for the uninformed :)

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:36 am 
General
General

The day and time don't usually work well for me to join live, so I've gone the download route. Great job, guys!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:18 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

Tirade wrote:
(not to mention, I think they were dissing the Sith Holonews podcast).

Man, I thought the hypersensitivity was restricted to messageboards but now it has to be brought into an idle, obviously humorously intended comment that wasn't even likey about SHNN (I suspect they came across Mark & Tim's Miniverse podcast rather than SHNN internet radio show.) But regardless saying they were "dissing" anything seems like a stretch. Is Gamers also dissing all other SWM web sites by claiming it's the "Number 1" SWM site? :lol:

There's room enough for all these fan broadcasts and the last thing we need is the silly board feuds turned into silly podcast feuds.

Oh, that's two and half cents of off topic opinion there.... :P

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:34 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

NickName wrote:
Tirade wrote:
(not to mention, I think they were dissing the Sith Holonews podcast).

Man, I thought the hypersensitivity was restricted to messageboards but now it has to be brought into an idle, obviously humorously intended comment that wasn't even likey about SHNN (I suspect they came across Mark & Tim's Miniverse podcast rather than SHNN internet radio show.) But regardless saying they were "dissing" anything seems like a stretch. Is Gamers also dissing all other SWM web sites by claiming it's the "Number 1" SWM site? :lol:

There's room enough for all these fan broadcasts and the last thing we need is the silly board feuds turned into silly podcast feuds.

Oh, that's two and half cents of off topic opinion there.... :P

LOL! I just thought I would mention it. If you listened to any of that podcast, you'd realize it is second rate. They have no room to even jokingly diss another podcast. At least Gamers has more of a positive reputation. The site has actually done things for the SWM community. That was more my point when I mentioned the possible slight at the Sith Holonews.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:55 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

Well, sticking to the positives for Minis Mayham, they've produced more hours of content than any prior or current broadcast. :)

They seem open to constructive critcism too based on Jonny kinda bashing them on Wizards and them thanking him for the feedback rather than getting defensive about it. I'm pulling for them, but agree there's some room for improvement.

Back on topic, I've added in my vote now that the "sometimes" option is available.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:45 pm 

NickName wrote:
Well, sticking to the positives for Minis Mayham, they've produced more hours of content than any prior or current broadcast. :)

They seem open to constructive critcism too based on Jonny kinda bashing them on Wizards and them thanking him for the feedback rather than getting defensive about it. I'm pulling for them, but agree there's some room for improvement.

Back on topic, I've added in my vote now that the "sometimes" option is available.

I agree, I didn't really hear the comment as any kind of real attack at all. And I am not sure what they were trying to do with their way of evaluating the minis. Obviously it has issues, but perhaps that's something they are open to improve. I will have to go back and listen to a few more shows to get a better idea, but honestly, I agree completely with Jason on this one. It wasn't about the SHNN at all I believe.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:15 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

There is another podcast called Holo something and I bet that is what they were talking about. I did bash them after read it. When back to trying to fix it. I send them a pm.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:57 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

i think they might be more talking about Chargers podcast "the miniverse".

After listening to both i like Chargers better and its not because i've been on it. Tim andhis friend does a good job with the podcast and have a good mix of things going on on the show.

Its a shame they can't get their guest sound issues sorted more clearly..

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:21 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

jonnyb815 wrote:
There is another podcast called Holo something and I bet that is what they were talking about. I did bash them after read it. When back to trying to fix it. I send them a pm.

I saw your post over at Wizos. Seemed fine to me. I wouldn't classify that post as "bashing." I'd say it was more of a critique.

@fingers - you may be right. Regardless, a podcast shouldn't waste time harping on other podcasts. Focus on the material.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:52 pm 
General
General

dnemiller wrote:
wow 20 minutes in..... They have made their comment about us and not mentioned mini one.......

For the record, I don't think they [Minis Mayham] were talking about your show, either. I just checked it out and he said he found another SWM podcast for the first time. That being the case, he more likely found the other actual "podcast", Star Wars Miniverse, which is listed along with them on iTunes. If they're not plugged into this community enough to have known Miniverse existed before now, I highly doubt they've heard about your new call-in show yet.

Minis Mayham grew out of Order 66 (The SW Saga Edition podcast) and its home on d20 Radio Network. I haven't listened to all of their casts yet, but they don't seem very connected to the SWM community here or on WotC's forum. They often focus on one particular character (say, Kenobi, or Maul, or Fett) and compare/contrast the different versions of that mini, along with the strengths and weaknesses of each.

The Miniverse folks, on the other hand (whose cast I also haven't finished listening to), seem more in touch with the "local" community here and on WotC (example: they just interviewed NickName), and are newer to the scene. They seem to take a more casual approach and lately have been talking about how to build a good squad on a budget. They've even gotten their kids involved in the cast to some extent.

Your Sith Holonews Network seems to take a more formal approach, a step that distinguishes it from the others. The call-in setup is also quite different, and welcome. Though not a traditional podcast perhaps, I do hope that you guys get your archive of recorded shows listed on iTunes as such. The live aspect of the show is refreshing, but the shows have value past the end time, and it's a hard time slot to set aside for a lot of people; as a live call-in show you're competing with prime time network TV on the U.S. east coast in addition to dinnertime for the U.S. west-coast audience.

I think it's suggestive about the SWM community that we now have three different groups producing audio content related to our game, with (apparently) very little shared audience or interaction. Obviously, it's not cool for any one of them to talk down about another; it just drives the wedge between segments of this community even deeper.

I wonder if there's some way to bridge the gaps? There's certainly room for cross-promotion here: all audiences could stand to benefit and grow if each show gave a nod (instead of a dis) to the others.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:48 pm 
The One True Sith Lord
The One True Sith Lord

I have actually submitted the Sith Holonews to the podcasts at itunes. I am not sure how long it will take them to review and update. I am hoping soon but who knows

Collection: 934/934

SWM DCI Content Manager

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:12 am 
General
General

Excellent!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:18 am 
General
General

Mapmaker wrote:
For the record, I don't think they [Minis Mayham] were talking about your show, either. I just checked it out and he said he found another SWM podcast for the first time. That being the case, he more likely found the other actual "podcast", Star Wars Miniverse, which is listed along with them on iTunes. If they're not plugged into this community enough to have known Miniverse existed before now, I highly doubt they've heard about your new call-in show yet.

Minis Mayham grew out of Order 66 (The SW Saga Edition podcast) and its home on d20 Radio Network. I haven't listened to all of their casts yet, but they don't seem very connected to the SWM community here or on WotC's forum. They often focus on one particular character (say, Kenobi, or Maul, or Fett) and compare/contrast the different versions of that mini, along with the strengths and weaknesses of each.

The Miniverse folks, on the other hand (whose cast I also haven't finished listening to), seem more in touch with the "local" community here and on WotC (example: they just interviewed NickName), and are newer to the scene. They seem to take a more casual approach and lately have been talking about how to build a good squad on a budget. They've even gotten their kids involved in the cast to some extent.

Your Sith Holonews Network seems to take a more formal approach, a step that distinguishes it from the others. The call-in setup is also quite different, and welcome. Though not a traditional podcast perhaps, I do hope that you guys get your archive of recorded shows listed on iTunes as such. The live aspect of the show is refreshing, but the shows have value past the end time, and it's a hard time slot to set aside for a lot of people; as a live call-in show you're competing with prime time network TV on the U.S. east coast in addition to dinnertime for the U.S. west-coast audience.

I think it's suggestive about the SWM community that we now have three different groups producing audio content related to our game, with (apparently) very little shared audience or interaction. Obviously, it's not cool for any one of them to talk down about another; it just drives the wedge between segments of this community even deeper.

I wonder if there's some way to bridge the gaps? There's certainly room for cross-promotion here: all audiences could stand to benefit and grow if each show gave a nod (instead of a dis) to the others.

Very good post, Chris. I think you've covered it very well.

Hopefully when you "think it's suggestive," you mean that in a positive way (and that's how I took it). I think it is healthy for a community to have multiple outlets for people to share their enthusiasm for the game. Although their are some shared listeners, each of the three has it's audience. There is way too much stuff about SWM that can be talked about for any one show to cover. And that's a good thing -- we don't want a one-dimensional game. (G**K showed that.)

After seeing this thread, I listened to the beginning of their latest episode. I agree, I think they're talking about SWMiniverse. The Mayham and SWMv posts on WotC have been listed closer together lately. (A couple reasons -- 1. the Mayham guys are now doing a better job letting people know they are there, and 2. the lower traffic on the WotC site.) And I don't think the comment of "we're the only podcast that matters" was a diss. They were laughing when they said it. Good natured ribbing between shows is fine.

I am confused by your comment of little interaction between groups. Dean has been nice enough to allow us to post here. We've returned the favor by posting a link on our website and mentioning SWMG in many of our episodes. Dean, Deri, Nickname, Klecser, and JonnnyB are good examples of cross-over also. We also have the cross-over with BlooMilk. Is there more the community should do? If so, how can we help?

Tim

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:43 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well, I have listened to the MiniMayhem deal and meh, (I haven't listened to any of their other shows) to me it sounds more like they had been using the intro of "only minis podcast in the universe" and were a little bummed they couldn't say it anymore. I didn't infer anything like they were saying their show was better than anyone else's. I also after listening to them would say they are very boring (like real talk radio :P ) and I would much rather listen to people who actually play the game talk about it and have interesting guests week to week with real questions from players calling in about the game.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:07 pm 
General
General

I haven't listened to enough of either/any miniatures podcast to judge the shows completely, but I've heard some of each and find something to enjoy in every one. I'm pretty confident that all of the hosts on every show do actually play the miniatures game; I just think they play in different localities, and ways. I'm not sure how many play competitively, in tournaments for example, but they all strike me as veteran minis skirmish players.

My comment about it being suggestive referred to the way there doesn't seem to be any crossover or mutual acknowledgement between the shows. This is the first time I have heard one of the podcasts refer to another one (though, again, I haven't listened to all of the casts and there may well be some plugs between them that I'm not aware of), and that, to me, suggests that there's more that the shows, and community, could do to bring the Star Wars miniatures fandom together.

The shows could consider brining each others' hosts on for guest discussions, or simply begin cross-promoting one another to increase each others' audiences. They could set up a round-table discussion to discuss the Star Wars miniatures-playing audience and ways to grow the community and the game. I dunno; those are just a couple of ideas.

The community could do more to spread the word as well, and that could probably begin by simply acknowledging that each show is legitimate and has its own strengths, and providing positive, constructive feedback rather than looking for points of contention. I listen to Star Wars Miniverse, Miniatures Mayham, and now the Sith Holonews Network, and enjoy each in its own way.

That reminds me, GM Brev invited me to do a guest spot on MM, but I haven't heard from him lately. I need to drop him a line to see if he's still interested.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:38 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

I listen live every week! :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:46 pm 
General
General

I would hope so! :)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:42 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

I can't listen live on Thursdays so it was nice that it was on a Friday this past week. Still, I download every episode and listen as soon as I can. Great stuff and I appreciate the effort to get it out there. You may be sorry one day when mid-level players like me start reaping the benefits of listening by beating you because you've been so generous imparting your Sith wisdom lol.

Being organized is for people who are too lazy to look for their stuff.

Lasers make everything better... except Alderaan.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:40 pm 

Darth_Jim wrote:
I can't listen live on Thursdays so it was nice that it was on a Friday this past week. Still, I download every episode and listen as soon as I can. Great stuff and I appreciate the effort to get it out there. You may be sorry one day when mid-level players like me start reaping the benefits of listening by beating you because you've been so generous imparting your Sith wisdom lol.

Not at all, I consider it the ultimate compliment. We all stand on the shoulders of giants and learned 99.99% of all we know from others before us. To assert otherwise is simply to fall for the classic Enlightenment and particularly American fallacy of the existence of the radical individual. Its also just so much fun that we couldn't stop if we tried :)