logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: TFU and eras?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:07 am 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

As for now Rebellion era starts at 0 BBY and has two legal factions -- Rebel Alliance and Empire. Rise of the Empire era ends at 0 BBY and has three factions -- Republic, Separatists and Empire.

Will TFU take place during RotE era then, as it should? Shaak Ti is Republic faction but the rest of the TFU characters are either Empire or Rebel Alliance (or Fringe of course). So by looking at the set list it's likely that TFU is part of a Rebel Alliance faction era (Rebellion era).

RotE era would of course make sense but not without problems. RotE era would allow Separatist faction and Republic faction with jedis and clones. And that would not work with TFU. Rebellion era could be extended (starting earlier than 0 BBY) but then Battle of Yavin would lose its role (what would happend to the timeline?). A new era then? Dark Times era? Perhaps a new era with Rebel Alliance and Empire factions could do, even though the Dark Times comics is labeled RotE era. I think WotC have to deal with this. A new official era in SWM will also be a new official era in SWSE and then in all Star Wars books and comics.

What do you think?
And please don't answer that eras aren't important or mean anything for game play. Eras are part of SWM rules and the official SW universe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:30 am 
Warmaster
Warmaster

Well, like anything lex, there is always a bit of overlapping.

Continuity rise, the era's have always been fairly loose. each start and stop is pinned on a major event. the RotE era chronicaled the empires rise to power and it's first 15-20 years. (can't recall offhand how old Luke/Leia were in ANH aka 0BBY), the fact that the RotE era ends at 0BBY isn't ment to ommit things, things happen on thier own timeline.

The rebellion was in full swing in the later years of the RotE era, but the era's mark thier first event turning victory.

Plus there's no need to add a new era, once you grasp that Thier not diffinitive "only these factions in here" deffinitions. It's like real history. They era of the Myan's for example.. they existed for a long time, then just vanished, (the end of thier era), but other "factions" like the spanards still overlap into and out of that era.

It's the same in Starwars. the Rebellion existed before the end of the RotE era, and continued on after.. the RotE era is ment to give a timeline boundries where factions and events happened in. so the empire rose to power between xbby and 0bby. While the rebellion was founded between xbby & 0 bby.

As Starwars encompases a whole galaxy in storytelling setting out historical time frames is important so that authors and readers can place any events into the grand scheme of what else is happening, as like in RL, nothing happens in a bubble.

as far as FU is related, it's purely in the RotE era, as it takes place during the last 20 years of that era (the least explored time frame), but depending exactly where, (my guess is the eairly last 20, given thier's jedi in it), It's era is only a indication of when it happened, not who was involved.

Shak-ti yes is Republic, but by the time of FU, she's unaffiliated as the republic she served is gone.

For game play reasons all figures go in thier obvious factions to keep it clean. They go where they belong and will work IN gameplay the best. Technically in FU Shaak ti should be Fringe as her faction is gone, but she'd have no synergy there and that would mean she could be put in factions where she should never be placed (Imperials, vong, etc).. so she's Rep faction to prevent that. She's a Republic character and remains to be so, even after it's fall.

Lots of characters span era's.. IE Obi. He started as a Republic character who later became a Rebellion character.

In the end it's just book-keeping to keep everything semi organized story wise.

[spoiler="crap"]
Quote:
MediocreMind
Support bacteria - it's the only culture some people have!

Code:
DCI Ranking
Star Wars Miniatures Constructed (as of 2008-09-15)
1826 rating   64 matches   21 events   
    37  All   33  North America   7  Canada   1  CA-Ontario   
[/spoiler]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:28 am 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

We do however have some facts to deal with here:
1. The Star Wars timeline is made of different eras. These eras are well defined and all events take place during eras.
2. SWM is built up on these eras. The eras decide what factions you can use in your game (unless you play Era on Era).

So. TFU must take place during a specific era and that would decide what factions can be used for TFU themed scenarios. As for now, RotE era reaches to 0 BBY and then there should be no Rebel faction TFU characters as Rebel faction isn't allowed during the RotE era in SWM. This is how it is.

But.
Some TFU characters are of Republic faction and some are of Rebel faction and that would be impossibe unless... (pick one)
1. There is a new era for the Dark Times (allowing Republic, Rebel and Imperial factions).
2. All light side TFU characters have Affinity (Republic-Rebel).
3. The Rebellion era is revised and starts earlier than 0 BBY.
4. TFU takes place during a long period of time, during both RotE and Rebellion eras.
5. WotC don't give a s#!t about Lucas and his eras.

This has nothing to do with when the actual rebellion started or when the Republic died. I'm only interested in the official eras and how they will affect game play.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:44 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

It'd be cool to see a new 'Dark Times' era added where you could only play Imperial, Republic or Rebels. I think that would fit nicely. It absolutely does not make sense to change the starting time point for the Rebellion Era, as almost EVERYTHING in the Star Wars universe is based off of the BBY/ABY system.

It would be really interesting to see how many of the FU characters have Affinity.

Also, I am pretty sure that the storyline for The Force Unleashed will finish up before the events of Episode IV. It's been stated that it will help bridge the gap between III and IV, but I don't think it would overlap IV.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:05 am 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

LoboStele wrote:
It'd be cool to see a new 'Dark Times' era added where you could only play Imperial, Republic or Rebels. I think that would fit nicely.

This would be convenient but that would of course allow Republic squads with both jedis and clones and none should fit in a Dark Times era.

LoboStele wrote:
It absolutely does not make sense to change the starting time point for the Rebellion Era, as almost EVERYTHING in the Star Wars universe is based off of the BBY/ABY system.

I agree. 0 BBY is everything we believe in.

LoboStele wrote:
It would be really interesting to see how many of the FU characters have Affinity.

I wouldn't be surprised if both Republic characters have Affinity with Rebels.

LoboStele wrote:
Also, I am pretty sure that the storyline for The Force Unleashed will finish up before the events of Episode IV. It's been stated that it will help bridge the gap between III and IV, but I don't think it would overlap IV.

TFU takes place during several years but this is still a long shot.
But remember that 0 years before Battle of Yavin is technically the year of Battle of yavin. So a few months before ANH could still be 0 BBY and thus Rebellion era.

I guess we'll know soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:00 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Lex wrote:
This would be convenient but that would of course allow Republic squads with both jedis and clones and none should fit in a Dark Times era.

Not necessarily. We know for a fact that some Jedi survived Order 66, other wise we wouldn't have the "Jedi Purge". We also know for a fact that some clones did not follow Order 66. Granted, having people play characters like Gree, Cody or Bacara might be odd, but overall, I think it would be the simplest solution.

Lex wrote:
TFU takes place during several years but this is still a long shot.
But remember that 0 years before Battle of Yavin is technically the year of Battle of yavin. So a few months before ANH could still be 0 BBY and thus Rebellion era.

Actually, that's a really great point.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:28 pm 
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina

Hard to say without seeing the game itself...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:35 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Affinity is the answer; you can not mess the BBY timeline. There are overlaps in spite of the big marker events...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:40 am 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

It's hard to make any sense of that list but guessing is part of the fun. :)

I'm having a hard time making up my mind on this topic but here's my guess:
TFU will be RotE era and 0 BBY will still be the start of the Rebellion era.
The light side characters of TFU can all be used during the RotE era (Rebels like Master Kota will have Affinity with Republic, Juno Eclipse could have Affinity with Imperial). Some of these might also have a CE that allowes some sort of non-unique Rebel characters (Rebel Troopers?) in Republic squads.

So no new eras, no revised eras, no Rebel faction squads during RotE era and no Republic with Affinity Rebels.

I think this would work well with the official eras, TFU and SWM rules.

Once again, I'm only guessing. I know nothing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:43 am 
Jedi Council
Jedi Council

Does era really matter for games? At my LGS we've done all kinds of limits and types of things allowed in squads and I don't think we've ever done games by era.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:56 am 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

homer_sapien wrote:
Does era really matter for games? At my LGS we've done all kinds of limits and types of things allowed in squads and I don't think we've ever done games by era.

Eras don't matter for games (there are Play options like Era on Era) but it matters for the SWM rules. Eras are part of SWM rules just like factions are. We don't have to play by the rules but the rules are still there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:30 pm 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

I noticed a continuity era on the TFU preview #1

it says Vaders Apprentice was raised from childhood to be his apprentice..ok. however it also says that that he was sent out by Vader after Order 66 is given..unless i'm reading it wrong it sounds like he sent VA to purge the jedi when Order 66 is given which would have him raising the boy possibly 12-17 year earlier and we all know Anakin turns just before Order 66 is given.

Is it just me or did i read it wrong.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:42 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

The Force Unleashed Preview 1 wrote:
From an early age, the Apprentice was secretly raised by Darth Vader, who trained him in the power of the dark side of the Force.

There is no Darth Vader until 19 BBY so Vader must of course have trained him after Order 66.

The Force Unleashed Preview 1 wrote:
After Order 66, Vader sent the Secret Apprentice on missions to destroy the last of the Jedi, and he became one the most lethal weapons Vader had at his disposal.

"After Order 66" can be two years after Order 66 (or five, or ten).

I guess TFU will be about 10 years after Order 66. Otherwise the Vader's Apprentice would still be a kid.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:47 pm 
Name Calling Internet Bully

A lot of people keep assuming that this takes place right after Epi 3. It seems much more likely to be happening right up before Epi 4. Hence, few jedi left (VSA probably only deals with 1-2 in the game). And why this set has so many rebels. The Rebellion is started by the time of the game.

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:12 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

I think it was stated at Celebration IV that TFU would span several years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:15 pm 

Lex wrote:
I think it was stated at Celebration IV that TFU would span several years.

right... Which proved my point wrong how? They never said it would span 20 years???

Lets do the time line. 16 years between the movies or so (give or take a few years.

Lets assume VSA is between 7-10 when Vader takes him as his apprentice. If this happens in the first 1-3 years after Epi 3 we are looking at about 6-10 years passing before the game starts. That puts us anywhere from 1-8 years for the game timeline to occur. I think it fits just fine.

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:51 pm 
Ugnaught Master!
Ugnaught Master!

Bill is correct, b/c the official LucasArts site says that TFU leads right up to the events of Ep. 4.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:33 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

billiv15 wrote:
right... Which proved my point wrong how?

I never said so.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:01 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Doesn't Bail Organa talk about starting a resistance during EpIII? Wouldn't that be the time that the Alliance (Rebellion) started? 19 BBY.

Also, the opening scroll of Ep IV talks a LOT about the Rebels. So obviously, the Alliance (Rebellion) existed long before 0 BBY.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:10 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

headache62 wrote:
Doesn't Bail Organa talk about starting a resistance during EpIII? Wouldn't that be the time that the Alliance (Rebellion) started? 19 BBY.

Yeah. From my view we see the formation of the Empire and Rebellion in the middle and end of EIII (respectively.) I expect it was going on during that entire period. EIV just picks up when our hero (Luke) gets involved.