logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: My Apology to Mabel
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:31 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

I posted in another thread, after receiving the "one finger salute" from Mabel, for disbelieving his set list, that it was duly noted, accepted and deserved.

I want to frmally apologize to the person who singlehandedly handed us a real gem.

I am sorry for my lack of faith.

Same to Sithborg and Billiv1 who both vigorously vouched for him

Peace.

Virtus Junxit Mors Non Separabit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:43 pm 
General
General

Don't be rediculous. There were some things so absurd that I didn't buy it either:

1) Han in Carbonite
2) So many missing factions
3) way too many rebels right off the heels of A&E
4) that Walmart gets set posters a month and a half in advance while FLGS are swaying in the breeze and we can't even get previews.

It just turns out that the SWM crew made another hugely unbalanced set, no matter how great some of the pieces are.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:49 pm 
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina

But really, is that new news? Eh, I'm gonna love some of the figs anyways...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:50 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

Yeah seriously, would it be so hard for WOTC Rob to make more OR, Mandos and Sith and Vong figs. And by more I don't mean only 1 fig per set. Uaually to help boost a faction, that faction should have like 5 or more new figs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:51 pm 
General
General

Roulex wrote:
But really, is that new news? Eh, I'm gonna love some of the figs anyways...

No, but they have at least (up until now) avoided creating figs of "furniture." :D

And for the record I am awfully excited about this set, but I am disappointed that it was not designed to help the actual game. But my Imperial army will grow quite large from this set.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:05 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

My personal belief is that LFL sort of shoehorned the Force Unleashed stuff in relatively late in the production. I think some of the OR and Mando stuff got pushed. Rob did say all factions would get representation this year, and that doesn't appear to be the case. That said, I was taking the info carefully, before I got my secondary confirmation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:13 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Yeah, my guess is that not only did LFL decide to push the Force Unleashed stuff into this set, they probably also dictated the ESB theme for many of the other pieces. In my mind, it's the only way to explain pieces like the "Knobby White Spider". With as much clamoring as all the people on the boards do for certain Huge pieces (and Rob DOES know what it is we want, he's said as much to us in seminars before) the only reasonable explanation is LFL's influence. The Knobby White Spider, the Ugnaughts, Han Carbonite, the Troop Cart, etc., they are all from ESB (while the Spider is from ESB source material, and got cut from the actual film).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:15 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Now, I think the ESB theme was mainly Rob's idea. Sort make it easier to expand on the Hoth Battle pack.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:33 pm 
Name Calling Internet Bully
Name Calling Internet Bully

I look at it this way. The minor factions will always be that. I didnt expect Vong in this set at all. I did expect OR and Mandos, and I am pretty sure two of the figures in the set started as such and likely got nixed to fringe. Its still certainly possible that some of the figs might still do something for those factions through affinity or otherwise.

All in all though, the minor factions will get some great stuff. Just from what we know so far, Exar has some nice new friends in the Ugo armies. I am extremely excited about that prospect.

The Telosian Tank Droid I thought was OR, is OR era and was used by them. Being fringe though means it can be used by Seps as well - so I kinda like that change. What good would an OR droid really offer anyways?

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:52 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

billiv15 wrote:
I look at it this way. The minor factions will always be that. I didnt expect Vong in this set at all. I did expect OR and Mandos, and I am pretty sure two of the figures in the set started as such and likely got nixed to fringe. Its still certainly possible that some of the figs might still do something for those factions through affinity or otherwise.

All in all though, the minor factions will get some great stuff. Just from what we know so far, Exar has some nice new friends in the Ugo armies. I am extremely excited about that prospect.

The Telosian Tank Droid I thought was OR, is OR era and was used by them. Being fringe though means it can be used by Seps as well - so I kinda like that change. What good would an OR droid really offer anyways?

I thought I read that Rob posting "Happiness is a faction where all the factions are represented." Or something like that. So I did expect the OR, Sith, Mandos, Vong and NR to at least have one figure each.

I'm disappointed on the one hand, that some of the minor factions didn't get representation, but I'm excited about what we're potentially getting from this new set.

With regards to the Telosian Tank Droid, it would be cool to give some kind of affinity or rapport with a certain faction. Like, the Tank Droid costs less if it's in an OR squad. Some kind of incentive to pair them together...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:07 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Jughead wrote:
I thought I read that Rob posting "Happiness is a faction where all the factions are represented." Or something like that. So I did expect the OR, Sith, Mandos, Vong and NR to at least have one figure each.

He did say that, however, with the timing of it, he wasn't necessarily talking about THIS set. Though the whole "All factions will get representation in 07" turned out to be false, though I am blaming that on LFL and the inclusion of Force Unleashed figs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:56 am 
Jedi Council
Jedi Council

Menoth's Fire wrote:
Don't be rediculous. There were some things so absurd that I didn't buy it either:

1) Han in Carbonite
2) So many missing factions
3) way too many rebels right off the heels of A&E
4) that Walmart gets set posters a month and a half in advance while FLGS are swaying in the breeze and we can't even get previews.

It just turns out that the SWM crew made another hugely unbalanced set, no matter how great some of the pieces are.

#1 Was bound to happen sooner or later.
#2 I don't consider 7 out of 10 included as an absurdly high number of missing factions for a set.
#3 Not that unreasonable for a year that's supposed to be OT heavy to have a lot of stuff from both of the big OT factions.
#4 This was the one that had me wondering. I even posted about it myself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:19 am 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

homer_sapien wrote:
#2 I don't consider 7 out of 10 included as an absurdly high number of missing factions for a set.

Only 6 factions in TFU.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:30 am 
Jedi Council
Jedi Council

oops. I could have sworn somebody posted Vong, Mondo, OR were the only ones missing from the set.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:41 am 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

homer_sapien wrote:
oops. I could have sworn somebody posted Vong, Mondo, OR were the only ones missing from the set.

And no Separatists. :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:04 am 
Warmaster
Warmaster

Menoth's Fire wrote:

Actually it's not all that uncommon. Wallymart as we all know is one of the biggest retailers in the US and abroad. As such they use their buying power to force early delivery of all products months ahead, (citing reasons as "inventory shortage correction" and the like. Most manufacturer's will bend to this as Wally is purchasing such huge amounts.

Unfortunately, this came up because unlike most major retailers they have no interest in actually pushing the product (promoting). So while the promotional material (ie set poster) would be included in the initial shipment with the intention that the recipient would set up a highly visible display (with the end goal of increased through put in sales), Wall mart dosn't care enough to use it and as no store really has a storage area, they just chuck anything not going directly to the floor.

Wal-mart only got theirs before the LGS BECAUSE of the size of their orders, (they will routinely order the likes of like 50+cases a store vs a LGS who might order 12-20) and their insistence on early receivership so it can be disseminated to each location to be on shelf on the street date. (or before as they tend to blunder street dates lots, but that's another story)

note: I do not tend myself to hypotheticals. My view's on any mentioned companies are based upon personal experience and insider information.

[spoiler="crap"]
Quote:
MediocreMind
Support bacteria - it's the only culture some people have!

Code:
DCI Ranking
Star Wars Miniatures Constructed (as of 2008-09-15)
1826 rating   64 matches   21 events   
    37  All   33  North America   7  Canada   1  CA-Ontario   
[/spoiler]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:20 am 
General
General

homer_sapien wrote:
#1 Was bound to happen sooner or later.
#3 Not that unreasonable for a year that's supposed to be OT heavy to have a lot of stuff from both of the big OT factions.
#4 This was the one that had me wondering. I even posted about it myself.

Having plenty of Rebels is one thing; having so many rebels at the sake of having nothing of some of the other factions is absurd. And for the record, I consider 1-3 minis for certain factions over 2 sets to be close enough to "nothing." In 2 sets:

Republic - 3 (all unique)
Sep - 1
Mando - 0
Sith - 1 ( even if it is rEven!!!!1!!!!)
OR - 0
NR - 2 (unique)
Vong - 3

And I have to say that I find it hard to believe that WotC is completely faultless on this. Whose idea was it to put one million clones in CotF? Even if LA or whoever wanted to make a completely unbalanced set, is there no one that can pose a convincing argument to get them to take game play into account over there? I doubt they try very hard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:54 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Oh noes, the Republic got shafted in 2 sets (3 if you consider BH). About on par with the Rebels. The Rebels have needed these sets badly. The Republic had 2 ENTIRE sets to themselves. Again, I expect Rebels to get shafted the same way next year. Very heavy on the EU, with a prequel set thrown in for some more fun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:38 am 
General
General

Sithborg wrote:
Oh noes, the Republic got shafted in 2 sets (3 if you consider BH). About on par with the Rebels. The Rebels have needed these sets badly. The Republic had 2 ENTIRE sets to themselves. Again, I expect Rebels to get shafted the same way next year. Very heavy on the EU, with a prequel set thrown in for some more fun.

They are over-compensating for the lag in Rebels. I don't mind there being a bunch of Rebels, but I find it rediculous that they shaft 7 out of 10 factions for 2007. 60 minis per set is plenty to spread around the love. Period.

Hell, you could garauntee 3 minis per "EU Faction" and 5 minis per the "Movie Factions" and still have 20 to put where they are needed most for that particular set. It's not rocket-science, here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:46 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

I do agree with Menoth some, but I see the points of everybody else. I kinda wish they would do more balanced stuff from set to set, instead of swinging wildly back and forth from year to year. Of course, in terms of gameplay and the meta-game, it's probably better for the sales of SWM if they release lots of a particular faction at one time, and boost that faction to the top of the meta. Then everybody wants to buy those pieces and be at the top. Then, next year, they swing it a different direction. If the sets were more balanced between factions, then the meta might not change as often, thus causing the competitive gamers to buy less product on a regular basis.

Just some other food for thought.