Outside the Box #1: Biggs Darklighter
Outside the Box #2: Darth Vader, Champion of the Sith
Outside the Box #3: Luke Skywalker, Jedi Master
Outside the Box #4: Darth Malak
Outside the Box #5: Anakin Skywalker, Sith Apprentice
Outside the Box #6: Obi-Wan on Boga
Outside the Box #7: Bastila Shan
Outside the Box #8: Corran Horn

I'm not sure if anyone even cares about these posts--but I enjoy them, so here's another one.

I have a really hard time picking characters for these. Biggs was perfect, I think, but Vader CotS ended up already being in a lot of decent squads, so I should have picked someone a little less used. But I'm afraid to go completely to the other end of the spectrum and pick someone terrible that nobody cares about.

I ended up with Luke, JM because the various Luke threads on the WotC boards made me think of him.

He's one of the pieces that's always given me this feeling that he should be good, but he's not. I think that makes him perfect for this challenge.

Luke Skywalker, Jedi Master [74]
HP: 130
Defense: 22
Attack: +16
Damage: 20
----
Unique
Melee Attack
Triple Attack
----
Force 2
Force Leap
Force Renewal 1
Lightsaber Block
Lightsaber Deflect
Lightsaber Sweep
Lightsaber Throw
Master Speed
---
Each ally with a Force rating starts with +1 Force.

Try to come up with a 100 point squad that could take on Bane and 6 Ugnaughts. A 150 point squad that could take on Black and Blue (LV or JH). And a 200 point squad that could be decent at a tournament. For mine, I'm also trying to make squads that haven't been posted on swshoebox yet.

Here are mine:

-100 points vs. Bane & 6 Ugnaughts-
The Jedi and the Wolf
Defel Spy [14]
Garindan [12]
(100 pts. - 5 activations)

Luke's major problem against Bane is that he can't put out damage fast enough. Bane can kill Luke in 3 hits. So Luke generally gets 1 Triple Attack and maybe 1 regular attack if he's lucky. Even if he managed to block two of Bane's attacks, he'd get one more Triple Attack in and still leave Bane with 80 HP. This is the most reliable damage I could come up with for 26 points. If Bane hasn't activated yet, the Defel will need to roll a 6 for 50 damage. If he has, it's a 10 for 40 damage (still decent). If Bane goes after Garindan first (might be a good idea), Luke gets another hit or two in. Even after Luke and Garindan are dead, the Defel could still get a hit or two in for 20-40 more damage. It might be possible to send speedy Luke after the Ugnaughts first and try to keep them from getting in between the Defel and Bane. It's not a guaranteed thing, by any means, but I think there's potential here, and it's the best I could come up with for Luke at 100.

-150 points vs. Black & Blue-
MLT
Mara Jade, Jedi [45]
Talon Karrde [24]
Tusken Raider [4]
Ugnaught Demolitionist [3]
[150 pts. 5 activations]

Activations shmactivations... So anyway, Talon is your friend who keeps Vader from materializing in front of you and killing you instantly. Losing initiative is going to hurt Mara a lot. One approach could be to send flying Luke straight for Thrawn and see if you can assassinate him. Luke and Mara together make a great team that even Vader JH should fear.

-200 pts. Tournament Quality-
Uneven Odds
Mara Jade, Jedi [45]
Han Solo, Rogue [30]
Jaina Solo [25]
Talon Karrde [24]
[198 pts. - 5 activations)

Yeah, yeah, yeah, you'll be outactivated and San will mop the floor with you and the sky is falling, etc. It's probably all true. But I've played squads like this before (although not this exact one), and Luke and Mara don't go down easily. Han's Accurate Shot can pick off some pesky people prettily, and Han, Mara, and Jaina will all appreciate the increased chance to win initiative.

Please take the challenge and post your squads! It's difficult this week, because Luke costs so many points for doing so little damage. But I would play any of these squads in a tournament, I think. And that was what I was going for.

I welcome any feedback on the Outside the Box posts or my squads. Please, please suggest someone for next time. :)

Last edited by shinja on Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:09 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

yikes this is a tough one. 100 points is a laugh riot, but there's really nothing you could do. 200 sounds like a fun theme squad.

Archives of the Gamers Jedi
is designed to be your official source for in-game rules questions!