logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: The Plot Thickens...
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:48 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

More than 30 days and nary a sign of Rob, and then, today the discovery of a series of WotC staff blogs by Moses, including one on the SWM GenCon seminar posted by Rob's Editor Jennifer Wilkes that suggests that she may have said too much about Force Push at the seminar in the continuation of some "glorious tradition."

She then makes a statement that at least "she hasn't been fired... yet."

Given the rest of all the veiled secrecy and mystery surrounding Rob's absence from the panel and his sudden cancellation as a WotC staff member to GenCon, does Jennifer know something the rest of us don't?

I am going to share something with all of you that maybe I shouldn't. Prior to GenCon, I PMed Rob and invited him to take part in our AT-AT event, just as he did the year before. A few weeks later, Rob replied, saying he'd been told he would be at GenCon and that he would try to make the event. Later, I was told that something came up and he couldn't make it.
Then, at the panel, the speakers were strangely vague about why Rob isn't there.

Perhaps it is just the investigative journalist in me, but as I have said all along I am not a stupid person and I trust my instincts. Rob may not be fired, but this whole thing just doesn't track in a way that carries a positive result. I think we all need to know that Rob is still working on this project.

You can read Jennifer's whole blog her:

http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=906382

(The relevant portion is in post #3.)

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:28 pm 
Name Calling Internet Bully
Name Calling Internet Bully

OK the sky is falling... (See my post in the other thread:))

And this time I believe you. I think you are right on this one Boris. I think Rob has perhaps either been fired or silenced in some fashion. I am a little concerned about it as well as I think he is a great designer and a really cool guy. I too would really like to know what is going on.

Anyone have any special connections that we could exploit to find out more?

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:52 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

Dang, that's heavy. I hope just silenced in some fashion. The game has been going well and I like the direction Rob has been going in and especially like how each set has brought out a little something from older figures. Who knows what a new designer will bring to the table if in fact they have fired Rob?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:01 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

I really hope this isn't true, but the ridiculous leaks that occured with the big A&E release may have been the final straw. LFL's fault for trying to keep the lid tight for an extra few months for some grand "celebration".

Archives of the Gamers Jedi
is designed to be your official source for in-game rules questions!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:31 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

billiv15 wrote:

If they do they are not going to say anything. Nickname said he knew something about something (don't remember what it was now), but he wouldn't say (couldn't say).

Anyone in the know that wants to keep their jobs isn't going to say much.

Check us out over at Pojo.com

"It appears the Bothans have rooked us again."
-Obi wan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:26 pm 
General
General

where do I send my application?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:45 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

It is a bit contradictory to what Nickname said about Rob being in the middle of something cool for 08. shrug

If it happens, it happens. Personally, I don't see why they would be upset with him. I am sure he cleared everything he revealed. The leaks from Spain and Phillipines have nothing to do with Rob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:44 pm 
Jedi Council
Jedi Council

I'll wait until we get something concrete either way before reacting too much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:33 am 
Warmaster
Warmaster

Personally the way i read ms Wilkins post was she was referring to the fact that each year at gengon she reveals a bit TOO much about something, yet she's still employed. (the old, "well i'm not fired yet, so i must not of screwed up big enough" theory).

Far as Rob goes, Hey, for all we know he could be ill, becoming a parent or lord know's what. without any form of excuse why he wasn't at gencon, I'd say it's way too early to speculate and take it seriously.

[spoiler="crap"]
Quote:
MediocreMind
Support bacteria - it's the only culture some people have!

Code:
DCI Ranking
Star Wars Miniatures Constructed (as of 2008-09-15)
1826 rating   64 matches   21 events   
    37  All   33  North America   7  Canada   1  CA-Ontario   
[/spoiler]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:52 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Fox wrote:
Far as Rob goes, Hey, for all we know he could be ill, becoming a parent or lord know's what. without any form of excuse why he wasn't at gencon, I'd say it's way too early to speculate and take it seriously.

I can tell you this isnt the case. My understanding of what happened is that the panel decided not to include Rob. He was "voted off the island" as it were.

-Obi wan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:15 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Fox wrote:
Personally the way i read ms Wilkins post was she was referring to the fact that each year at gengon she reveals a bit TOO much about something, yet she's still employed. (the old, "well i'm not fired yet, so i must not of screwed up big enough" theory).

Except that, as she points out, this was her first time on a panel.

Quote:

There are other hints and clues that something bad has happened that have been talked about before. For example, last year Rob spent almost the whole weekend when he wasn't working in the mini hall. This year, he didn't even wander by during the Championship, and only made a brief appearance over there on Sunday to thank Moses for hosting the events as all of us were on our way out.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:20 am 
General
General

Rob designed Korriban and IIRC, he said it was his intent for it to be legal. Also, in a thread a year or 2 ago, after we pestered him for more legal maps he basically made the Rancor Pit DCI legal on the spot - changing the floorrules shortly after. Ian told me that since he doesn't actually play SWM, that he takes the SWM design staff's recommendations for Official Play; of course that smacks of Ian washing his hands of doing his own job, but it does state that any issues we have with the rules side of OP is on Rob. I am VERY disappointed in the OP map issues.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:29 am 
General
General

With my rant on Korriban and Rob gone with this site's move, you know that I feel Rob just does not care/listen/aware of/whatever to the Forum/players. Like a bad horror movie, he just trudges on without stopping and wondering where all his supporters went (parallels abound with current politics).

However, I do hope he is not canned or silenced. I don't wish that on anyone (except my most hated enemies (one exists in Canada and I never met him)).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:39 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Rob listens very well to the players. There are a great many figs we have only because they were fan requests. That isnt to say he suffers from his own prejudices. Thrawn's overpowerment with Mas happened strictly because Rob wanted it that way. But Rob does listen.

-Obi wan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:42 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Fool wrote:
Menoth's Fire wrote:
Rob designed Korriban and IIRC, he said it was his intent for it to be legal. Also, in a thread a year or 2 ago, after we pestered him for more legal maps he basically made the Rancor Pit DCI legal on the spot - changing the floorrules shortly after. Ian told me that since he doesn't actually play SWM, that he takes the SWM design staff's recommendations for Official Play; of course that smacks of Ian washing his hands of doing his own job, but it does state that any issues we have with the rules side of OP is on Rob. I am VERY disappointed in the OP map issues.

Wait are you saying that Rob doesn't play or Ian doesn't play SWM?

I'm sure he meant that Ian doesn't play SWM. If he did mean Rob, I can tell you he is mistaken as I have seen Rob play the game more than once.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:55 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Again, Nickname has hinted that he was still in communication with Rob. I think it is way too big of an assumption. Considering Rob did make a post about avoiding the Con circuit at one point, I still think you are making way too much about his absence at Gencon. Sometimes, you do need a vaction from your work, which happens to be this game. It was said he was at Gencon on his own time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:20 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Sithdragon13 wrote:
billiv15 wrote:

If they do they are not going to say anything. Nickname said he knew something about something (don't remember what it was now), but he wouldn't say (couldn't say).

Anyone in the know that wants to keep their jobs isn't going to say much.

After reading through this thread I find it interesting that some of the higher profile members have not commented on this subject... maybe they just aren't interested...but it strikes me as sort of odd.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:31 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Fool wrote:
Who (with connections) haven't chimed in yet?

I think Nickname is the only one who actually communicates with Rob on a semi-regular basis.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:39 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

And as i posted, he is going to be very careful to say anything as it could affect his position as an insider.

-Obi wan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:47 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Not really, you could add some flour. :D

-Obi wan

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next