logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: New(ish) play format (150pt., 3 Uniques)
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:17 pm 
General
General

So I was playing around with 150 pt. New Republic squads. One that I liked was Luke JM, Mara, and Kyle Katarn. But obviously, 3 activations is a death sentence at 150 pts. So I made up a new format where this squad could actually work.

It's ridiculously similar to Boris' Dynamic Duo concept, so I don't want to take any credit or anything.

Anyway, it's just 3 Unique characters totalling exactly 150 points. Faction rules apply, but Unique does not. Reinforcements and Reserves are also ignored.

I'm trying to figure out the best way to tone down Bounty Hunters, because in an all-Unique arena, they'd be better than they should be. But I don't want to remove the Bounty Hunter ability altogether, because then poor Greedo will never see play. Maybe give every Bounty Hunter only +2 attack? Another option would be to require teams to be Faction-pure (no Fringe allowed), but that narrows down the options a lot.

There are a lot of combinations. By my count, 305 total combinations. 33 Faction pure combos. 27 non-Fringe faction pure. 2 that are all one character.

Anyway, it seems like it could be a fun way to get some lesser played figs or combinations on the table. What do you think?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:40 pm 
Jedi Council
Jedi Council

Unique doesn't apply?

Boba Fett, Bounty Hunter 62
Boba Fett 50
Boba Fett, Enforcer 38

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:45 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

homer_sapien wrote:
Unique doesn't apply?

Boba Fett 50
Boba Fett, Enforcer 38

Wowser. That is a broken format already... You have to keep the unique rule. I like it other than that.

“Those with no tactical ability at all may never understand or accept it. Nor will such people understand or accept the tactician. To those without that ability, those who posses it are a mystery.” - Mitth’raw’nuruodo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:04 am 
Jedi Council
Jedi Council

thejumpingflea wrote:
homer_sapien wrote:
Unique doesn't apply?

Boba Fett 50
Boba Fett, Enforcer 38

Wowser. That is a broken format already... You have to keep the unique rule. I like it other than that.

Yep. Boba BH and Enforcer was the squad I used to point out why the Unique rule had to be used for Dynamic Duo squads.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:23 am 
General
General

Alternately, if you toss out the unique rule, then you have something our LGS used to play before GenCon: 200 points 1 persona. You must use different variants until you run out before doubling up, you must use at least 3 variants.

I recall my Luke's tearing up BGartz29's Boba's because Hero of Yavin killed RS Fett with one shot (crit + flurry/twin + crit...).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:36 pm 
Jedi Council
Jedi Council

I've lost a Hantaun to a (miss/crit+miss/crit+miss/hit) from HoY in the first round before.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:05 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

HoY has done wonders dropping Vader for me; he's such a crazy fun piece. I just picture him wildly shooting down a hallway and dropping row after row of stormies...

Archives of the Gamers Jedi
is designed to be your official source for in-game rules questions!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:41 pm 
Jedi Council
Jedi Council

It sucked at the time, but I felt a lot better after I went through my first round activations and took out that HoY plus the Spirit Obi with him. Points lead to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:08 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

homer_sapien wrote:
thejumpingflea wrote:
homer_sapien wrote:
Unique doesn't apply?

Boba Fett 50
Boba Fett, Enforcer 38

Yep. Boba BH and Enforcer was the squad I used to point out why the Unique rule had to be used for Dynamic Duo squads.

For the record, Dynamic Duo was never in any danger of seeing the Unique rule dropped.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:13 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

My wife and I played a 150 point game several months ago, before BH came out, with a similar rule of less than 5 characters on a squad.

My team was Luke JM, Aurra Sing, Corran Horn. I called it "The Big 3."

She played Thrawn, 2 AT-STs, and a Stormtrooper.

Though Thrawn took away the use of the Force, he couldn't prevent Luke from Master Speeding around the Chicken Walkers, nor he could slow Aurra Sing's advance of 8 squares - three times, thanks to Luke's CE - followed by a pair of LS strikes against one of the AT-STs. After she died, Corran Horn finished one AT-ST off, while Luke continued to harass Thrawn. Corran died, and Luke was done to 60 HP or so I recall after defeating Thrawn, and he managed to finish off the final AT-ST, just barely. It was a great game and a great victory.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:57 pm 
Jedi Council
Jedi Council

Boris wrote:

For the record, Dynamic Duo was never in any danger of seeing the Unique rule dropped.

I didn't mean for yours. After the thread on the Wizards board I added it to the home rules ideas thread on my LGS's board. I used Boba/Boba there to explain why the unique rule should stay for it.