logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Terrible News
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:27 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

I just found out that the only person I play mini's with is moving away. This leaves me wondering if I should get rid of my minis. It's really hard. I love the game, but I don't want to have 290 little pieces of plastic sitting around if I never use them. Maybe I should just collect . . . I think that might be more painful than getting rid of them.

What should I do?

Is this important enough for its own thread?

Post subject: Re: Terrible News
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:04 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

I don't see why it doesn't deserve its own thread.

I too have no one to play against, and for about a year now have experimented with making a solitaire-campaign progamme, but it's just hard to find the time since it takes me so long to play both sides :lol:

I wish I was more help for your question, but I agree just collecting will make it that much harder to move them should it ever come to that.

Good luck, with whatever decision you make.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:40 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Depending on what pieces you have it probably isn't worth the hassle to sell them. If you keep them in a box n binder for a while you might come across someone else who collects them and it'd be relatively easy to get back into the game.

Besides there is the new movie coming out which will likely generate interest this summer.....

Archives of the Gamers Jedi
is designed to be your official source for in-game rules questions!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:41 am 
Sith Infiltrator
Sith Infiltrator

Have Faith man! When I first started no-one near me played, but I've gotten a lot of people into swm. Now 4 of my best friends near me play and they all love it, give it time...
If you train them, they will play...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:52 am 
Warmaster
Warmaster

One thing though, don't be embarrassed to ask friends about playing.
Where do you buy your minis? If at a LGS then ask the owner who else buys them or put put up an ad in the shop. Many Games shops have notices advertising Games Clubs.

Be honest and open and you may just find someone with similar interests. 8)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:20 pm 
Unnamed Stormtrooper
Unnamed Stormtrooper

Fool is right! Vassal is your friend. I moved 3 states away from the friend I used to play minis with and for a while I just didn't play and didn't even collect. Then right around the time CotF came out I discovered Vassal and installed it and then got him to do the same. Whenever I go visit or he comes down, we always try to get a 'real life' game in, but when that's not possible we still play and are even more into swminis than we were before I moved. We play almost weekly on Vassal.

I have also taught a couple of other people I've met in my new area and they have enjoyed it as well.

Change is tough...but it's not the end, just a new beginning!! :D

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:10 am 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

I also have no adults to play with. I do play on Vassal, which is great, though sometimes frustrating. I also play with my 6-year old daughter, who loves it. And I enjoy collecting the minis for themselves. As everyone has already stated, there are many things you can do.

She giveth, and she taketh away.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:24 am 
Jedi Battlemaster
Jedi Battlemaster

Vassal! Plus Minis make great display pieces. I try to be on vassal as often as I can, and have gotten to know some really great guys (and possibly girls) in the process. If you've never tried it before, there is usually someone online who can show you around the system.

Join the FOLLY! Online casual League, find out more here: FOLLY

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:44 am 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

Gotta agree with the other folks who have suggested you keep at it. About a year ago, I moved about 1,000 miles across the country, and thus left behind the friend I had played minis with roughly one night a week or so since RS debuted. I was worried that I was done playing. But then I started looking for tourneys in my new area (not a great scene in my immediate vicinity, but not bad, and I'm a 2 1/2 hour drive from Lamar, MO, which is famously a very good scene--been there a couple times), and I started playing on Vassal (sometimes with my old friend, sometimes with random people, a lot of GVL), and I convinced a new work friend to start playing (he's a work in progress, but he's fun to play with).

Ironically, I've played more in the last year than I ever have before. The other cool thing is that playing with new folks has introduced me to lots of new strategies that will never come up if you're always playing the same person. You just gotta look around.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:09 pm 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

I got into the game just because of Vassal...I always wanted to collect & play, but knew nobody who played SWM. When I found out Vassal existed, SWM became a reality for me. Yeah, I still pretty much suck 6 months later, but I really enjoy playing and learning about the game :) I know I'll get better as I play more. Anyways, Vassal is a good way to make new buddies and play fun, fast games and formats so stick with it! :Ewok:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:28 pm 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

Fool wrote:

Agreed- yes there always seems to be some legendary GVL matches played - the one where you scrubbed Luke, JM with your ugo comes to mind :D.

Yeah, that was pretty silly. That whole game was pretty ridiculous, if memory serves (I think I had like 7 crits total), but at that moment it became one of the worst Vassal-ings of all time.

Recalling that game has me looking forward to finishing up all the work-travel I've been doing so I can get back to playing.