logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Good Bling for a good cause.
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:11 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

A terrific cause, so i can not help but recommend anyone with the cash to spare pick one of these up. I know i plan too.

Quote:
Posted originally at jediinsider
R2-KT Commemorative Coin
by Jay at 00:07:50 on 06/12/08

R2-KT was created in 2005 by Jerry Greene, master droid builder, with the help of the R2 Builders Group. She was built in honor of one very brave little girl named Katie Johnson who had brain cancer. It was Katie's wish to have a pink robot like R2-D2 from Star Wars, so Jerry and the R2 Builders Group worked hard and created a one-of-a-kind droid named R2-KT (which sounds like R2-Katie). Click here to visit her website.

The 501st is now taking pre-orders through the 15th of July for a special commemorative coin with all the proceeds going to the Make-A-Wish Foundation. According to Lesley Farquhar, Executive Officer, Southern California Garrison, 501st Legion,

"Our hope is, that we can help more kids, who like Katie, face life threatening illnesses, and that we can help these children realize their fondest wishes, while they still have time. This also helps bring attention to the American Cancer Society, who works to find a cure, so that no other children will have to fight the battle against cancer.

People also can donate additional funds through this sale, in addition to buying the coins, or they can go directly to http://www.makeawish.org to make a direct cash donation.

Paypal orders can be sent to plfarquhar@cox.net and people who need to pay by money order can email me at that same address to get the payment mailing address. Of course I answer any questions at that address as well."

The coins cost $10 each and you can order as many as you like. All coins will be mailed out by the 15th of August.

Post subject: Re: Good Bling for a good cause.
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:05 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Yup, already ordered one. Thanks for posting it here though, man. I hadn't thought about doing that. ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:06 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

They did a presentation at Comic-con last year, during the Hasbro/WotC update on the Star Wars line. Her father was there, as were all of the main people responsible for making this happen. It was one of the most touching, heartbreaking things I have ever had the pleasure to be party to witness. I'm actually tearing up just remembering it.
It's a great cause.

Virtus Junxit Mors Non Separabit.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:59 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

Yeah, i coudln't be there for that, but minute i heard albin had agreed to let soemthing from within the organization to commemorate katie, I just couldn't not promote it.

It's a good cause and having met katie before her illness, and as a father myself, I can only say i prey i never have to go thru what Albin did, but what he's doing with it would of made katie very happy so by hell like i'm not going to do what i can, I know i'm ordering mine (prolly a couple actually) morrow

[spoiler="crap"]
Quote:
MediocreMind
Support bacteria - it's the only culture some people have!

Code:
DCI Ranking
Star Wars Miniatures Constructed (as of 2008-09-15)
1826 rating   64 matches   21 events   
    37  All   33  North America   7  Canada   1  CA-Ontario   
[/spoiler]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:11 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

latest annoucement on the coins

Quote:
Hi there!

Ordering a coin is easy-

The sale is open throughout the Star Wars community until July 15th. Each coin costs $10—this includes shipping and paypal anywhere in the world. You can either paypal for the number of coins you want to plfarquhar@cox.net or email for mail order information. Coins are unlimited, and you can order as many as you wish.

The coins take 3 weeks to produce and should be to me by the 5-10th of August, at which point I'll have all announcements updated and send them out to all who ordered.

Lesley Farquhar
Executive Officer, Southern California Garrison 501st Legion

[spoiler="crap"]
Quote:
MediocreMind
Support bacteria - it's the only culture some people have!

Code:
DCI Ranking
Star Wars Miniatures Constructed (as of 2008-09-15)
1826 rating   64 matches   21 events   
    37  All   33  North America   7  Canada   1  CA-Ontario   
[/spoiler]