logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Darth Talon
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 1:54 pm 
Unnamed Stormtrooper
Unnamed Stormtrooper

Hi everyone,

This is my first post on the SWM boards (do to being slightly discontent with the gleemax boards), but here is my question: what does everyone think about Darth Talon? Overpriced? Underpriced? Right on? Also, what bands and who would work the best with her, in your opinion?

Here is my review:

Darth Talon is a mid-point (for a Sith) Beater for the Sith. She lacks a lot of damage, only having twin, but she more than makes up for it in survivability. Force Bubble is an awesome ability that basically gives her an extra 20 hp every time she activates. With mobile attack, it allows her to move in and out without taking damage from the majority of people. When combined with the BBSV, Talon can move in and out of the Vigo's evade bubble and not mess with loner.

I think she is costed perfectly, and my recent 100 pt. warband with her consisted of:
Darth Talon
BBSV
Aqua Assassins x3
Ugo Demo

If I had Lobot, I would probably put him in rather than the BBSV and 1 AA (and then bring in he BBSV if need be), but alas... no Lobot.

(Not Sure if this is in the right forum: if it isn't I'll move it)

Post subject: Re: Darth Talon
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 2:07 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Talon is a decent support piece for the points, but the loss of loner really kills her synergy in squads. Her attack is just too low when within 6.....so what she needs is a mouse droid or something to extend CEs, without losing her Loner bonus. Maybe it'll happen, then she'll realyl be worth her points.

Archives of the Gamers Jedi
is designed to be your official source for in-game rules questions!

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 3:04 pm 
Sith Infiltrator
Sith Infiltrator

Well welcome to these board Xantos. You'll find this is a great site, and a lot more layed back then the "other" boards...:)Enjoy. I think Talon is a great piece and with a BBSV her survivability goes up dramatically.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 3:26 pm 
General
General

I think she should be used for Mobile Attack and Force Lightning 1. Attacking comes as a last resort when you can't get away.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 3:59 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

She's fun to play but she lacks damage output in a set with all sorts of damage reduction style abilities (like Crab Armor).

She DESPERATELY needs Sith Rage to be truly competitive.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 6:17 pm 
Sith Infiltrator
Sith Infiltrator

Yeah I was disappointed with the lack of rage given out this set.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 9:35 pm 
Mandalore
Mandalore

Wicket could help her low attack value, If you wanted to run the BBSV, he would also gain evade helping out with his own survivability.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 9:40 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

with FR and Bubble I don't think it's her survival that's an issue-

I agree with Borris, it's her damage output
Sith Rage would make her "Perfect" (IMO)

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 7:11 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Yeah, Damage output is definitely the biggest problem with her. Jedi Master Chief created a custom stat for Marka Ragnos' spirit similar to the Luke/Obi Force Spirits, with the idea of it granting Sith Rage instead of Mettle. I hate to have to put in another piece just to make Talon useable, but if a spirit piece like that granted, say, Sith Rage and Master of the Force 2 or something like that, it would REALLY make her worth it, being able to use Rage and Bubble in the same turn. But yeah, Rage is really all she needed to be VERY competitive.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 8:35 am 
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice

I agree she is really cool, but also just not quite there for competitiveness.

A rule of thumb for me is that a non-support piece should do damage equal to its points without too much work. Pieces that can't do that really need to have something else going on, especially in the survivability or tactical department. Boba, BH is the top end in terms of figs that are allowed to not do a lot of damage but still have consideration. As said earlier, sith rage would make her VERY good.

Talon has a very good survivability power, and also can do the mobile lightning thing... But that just doesn't quite compare to other figs.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 9:56 am 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

She lacks massive offense but you can't afford to ignore her either. Maybe she would work best running interference for a ranged powerhouse like a Boba. Use her Twin Attack to immobilize enemy characters that lack Flight - a twin AoO is a good incentive to stay put and try to deal with Talon first. But the mobile bubble combo means she's not limiting her own mobility as much when she's adjacent to a strong enemy... nice asymmetry there.

I think she's worth her points if she can get a few AoO's per game. This means she will often be adjacent to other characters, so I don't think The Bith is such a big help. Wicket does seem like a good idea though.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 10:06 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Talon is without a doubt a "good" figure but with sith rage she could be great. Sith rage is just about all she lacks IMO, I was honestly quit disappointed with the lack of sith rage in LOTF.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 10:57 am 
Name Calling Internet Bully
Name Calling Internet Bully

Meh. look at her cost. She should not have rage. Barzilla nailed it, she's an interference figure. Put her in front of Boba/Cade/Jango etc and you have a solid duo. Unlike other melee beats, she can hit you from 12 away, or mobile in an out. My guess is most of your guys are playing her wrong, like trying to run her with Krayt for extra attack or something.

I still have yet to run her with Revan, but that's more of a survival style squad anyway, but should certainly be fun.

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 11:25 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

I definitely agree that she's priced well for what she does right now. You'd have to tack a few more points on if you gave her Rage, so I'm ok with her missing it. I think to be a truly stand-alone piece she needed Rage, but without it, she's still a great support piece.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 12:23 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

billiv15 wrote:
Meh. look at her cost. She should not have rage. Barzilla nailed it, she's an interference figure. Put her in front of Boba/Cade/Jango etc and you have a solid duo. Unlike other melee beats, she can hit you from 12 away, or mobile in an out. My guess is most of your guys are playing her wrong, like trying to run her with Krayt for extra attack or something.

I still have yet to run her with Revan, but that's more of a survival style squad anyway, but should certainly be fun.

No Bill I am not using her with Krayt. I have used her with Boba Merc in 100 pts. and she just can't keep up with the damage output, especially AGAINST pieces like Krayt or the new Vong.

Vs. Vong she's not even worth 56 points as she just has to stand there and get smacked around. (Not literally standing still, but you should know what I mean.)

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 1:53 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

I agree with BIlliv15. She is NOT a standstill beatstick, rather a mobile attacker or lightning-user. That being said, she is good for what she does, and I think it makes her unique next to other jedi/sith. But more powerful? I don't think so. Different isn't always better.

I love her anyway. :maul:

http://www.swshoebox.com/userSquad.cfm?user=sirstevee

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 2:02 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

SirStevee wrote:
I agree with BIlliv15. She is NOT a standstill beatstick, rather a mobile attacker or lightning-user. That being said, she is good for what she does, and I think it makes her unique next to other jedi/sith. But more powerful? I don't think so. Different isn't always better.

I love her anyway. :maul:

I guess I have just been soured by my play experiences with her, then. Or perhaps you and Bill have had exceptionally lucky play experiences.

It could also be the point levels. I have fielded her in 100 and 150, and lost with her every time. Her force powers are worthless against 4 YV Jedi Hunters and a Shaper, or vs. Darth Krayt, Lando DS, and 2 Gran, or SuperStealth, or so on.

I will continue to tinker with her until I find a competitive option, but the lack of damage output is difficult for me to ignore based on my own experiences.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 3:49 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

Quote:
It could also be the point levels. I have fielded her in 100 and 150, and lost with her every time. Her force powers are worthless against 4 YV Jedi Hunters and a Shaper, or vs. Darth Krayt, Lando DS, and 2 Gran, or SuperStealth, or so on.

Absolutely. But I don't believe she CAN be competative at all with the current figures. Not enough power output. peroid. I was simply saying that I think she is interesting as a mobile attacker, but that's pretty much it.

http://www.swshoebox.com/userSquad.cfm?user=sirstevee

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 4:19 pm 
Unnamed Stormtrooper
Unnamed Stormtrooper

So has anyone found any use for her in 150 or 200? I understand the lack of pieces in the Sith Faction and how that may affect some of her use.

She is a fun piece to play SWM with though. She is not a stereotypical beatstick, and she definitly does rely on her mobility (mobile lightning is fun, as is mobile in, twin, bubble, mobile out). Generally against Double and Triple Attacking jedi, I mobile in, twin attack, bubble to absorb the hit, and then move it. I take one AoO, but it is negated through bubble. Next turn, my enemy should move in to try and attack again, and hten I can use another bubble to negate that damage. Obviously it won't work against Bane or other Assault or Twin figures, but against figs with a standard 20 triple, she can take nearly no damage while killing them.

In 200 I first thought of pairing her with Revan, but the output seems too low...

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 4:21 pm 
Unnamed Stormtrooper
Unnamed Stormtrooper

Oh yes, and she would also need Master of the Force 2 with Sith Rage to actually be able to use it with her and her style of play (unless you don't mind taking damage, which kind of defeats Talon's purpose).