Mark forums read

Please Select 5 Candidates to Induct into the SWM Hall of Fame
Poll ended at Thu May 01, 2008 2:42 pm
Total votes : 0

Post subject: Re: Please vote: Top 10 Nominees for SWM Hall of Fame
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:41 am 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

Voted. And before Boris starts decrying my presence here: For the record, I voted for him. :shock: :lsfight:

Boris is the ying to many a person's yang and it is always important to have contrary viewpoints in a discussion forum.

Dean, thanks for the mention. I wouldn't expect to ever be voted into this, but I do want you to understand that I always have the best interest of the game and its players at heart.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:48 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

klecser wrote:
Voted. And before Boris starts decrying my presence here: For the record, I voted for him. :shock: :lsfight:

Boris is the ying to many a person's yang and it is always important to have contrary viewpoints in a discussion forum.

Dean, thanks for the mention. I wouldn't expect to ever be voted into this, but I do want you to understand that I always have the best interest of the game and its players at heart.

Well thanks for the vote of confidence (I think). :P

And actually, you're name was submitted as a potential nominee but you didn't get enough votes to get you on the ballot. I think you probably will be in the next go-round. (To be honest, I was really surprised that I made it this time. Seriously.)

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:07 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

dnemiller wrote:
klecser wrote:

Klecser, but you are always welcome here.... And the Hall is not about personalities it is about what the person has done to imporve the game and the community... So I really expect you to be ont he next ballot for sure. As it is the folks I mentioned were very close. There were about 30 different names but the ones I mentioned in the above thread came very close. I think you suffered a spilt vote as people did not know who to vote for you or Ironlightsaber for the Strategy Showcase.

I should add that I think there was a tendency (and I was guilty of this too) to try to get people nominated who might not be mentioned otherwise. That is how Rob's name got on the ballot. I didn't nominate myself nor did I nominate guys like Bill or Lobo Stele because I knew they were going to make the ballot anyway.
Rob isn't the only one who I put up for recognition (at a time when he really needs it, btw) that got on the ballot.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:37 am 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

dnemiller wrote:
Right there with ya Dennis, As I added Diseased Vermin and Sabercreator to name a few

Good ones. :D

Its all good Dean. I honestly don't care if I'm on the ballot. I agree with everyone who is on the ballot. Those people should be recognized. And I have absolutely zero problems with recognizing people that I disagree with often, but are valuable members of the community. I am completely onboard with the premise and selection guidelines.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:39 am 
Name Calling Internet Bully
Name Calling Internet Bully

Hey Boris, I nominated MtMagus (Matt) partially because he is a quit lurker on the boards most days and rarely posts (just his personality - he bought a PS3 and I bought a Wii, what's that tell ya).

Anyways, despite being one of the best players in the world, he is relatively unknown because of his posting habits. But I hope that by nominating him over and over again, and continuing to tell his story (2nd behind STSparks, 3rd behind me and Engineer and should have been playing for 1st instead of 3rd, and top 8 this year at Gencon) eventually, people will start to valuable he really is. Not to mention such a good guy, and all the stuff he has done for me personally, like paying part of my way to Gencon last year, or paying for my entry fees when I don't have the cash, etc.

There are a lot of guys on the second tier that are certainly deserving, and just less well known that the infamous few of us :)

So I hope that next time around, when we have an established group that gets to choose most of the up coming nominees, we get a change to argue for our guys and help push them onto the ballot :)

And there are other, older folks who deserve a chance as well, that a lot of the active people don't really know to vote for or to nominate. So those too will take some story telling.

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:11 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

billiv15 wrote:
And there are other, older folks who deserve a chance as well, that a lot of the active people don't really know to vote for or to nominate. So those too will take some story telling.

Casca Longinus LMAO

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:55 am 
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina

Voted x 5

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:15 pm 
General
General

I voted.

Also, thanks for the consideration. Didn't expect to see my name on that list. :)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:18 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

shinja wrote:
Didn't expect to see my name on that list. :)

I wasn't surprised. :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:19 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Grand Moff Boris wrote:
billiv15 wrote:

Casca Longinus LMAO

No one gets this, I guess...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:05 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

Grand Moff Boris wrote:
Casca Longinus LMAO

I've been around long enough to get it. :wink: :D

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:08 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

i voted.

Not sure why i'm on the list. I guess insessant ramblings eventually gets you noticed.

Thanks to whoever put me up there.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:10 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

Grand Moff Boris wrote:
Grand Moff Boris wrote:
billiv15 wrote:

Casca Longinus LMAO

No one gets this, I guess...

i remember that nut job.

Didn't he sell his whole collection because he KNEW swm was a dead game?
2 years later there was a 2 grand championship.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:26 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

fingersandteeth wrote:
Grand Moff Boris wrote:
Casca Longinus LMAO

i remember that nut job.

Didn't he sell his whole collection because he KNEW swm was a dead game?
2 years later there was a 2 grand championship.

He was the top trader and one of the "Big Five" or whatever it was they called themselves. He was actively involved in the online community, and I played against the guy locally while he was in the game.

But he lost his temper one day and got himself banned after he went on a tear against WotC. He decided, for whatever reason, that SWM was a dead game and that WotC was never going to give it real support.

He was also frustrated with the St. Louis community and got himself banned from at least 2 stores the way I heard it from the people who ran them.

He was a nice guy most of the time, he just lost his temper one time too many.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:37 pm 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

LoboStele wrote:

Hothie, you gotta look at the rest of the HoF.....Dean and NickName were among the first 7 that were automatically inducted. ;)

I didn't realize there was an existing HoF, and now that I've found it, I totally agree with the people who are there.

And on a twisted side note, wouldn't it be great to have a SWM Hall of Fame building, like in Indy or something. There's Canton, Cooperstown, Springfield, there needs to be somewhere that we can have a HoF building. In glass boxes would be the original meta squads, busts of all HoF members, interactive games for the kids, Mandalorian Commanders pointing towards the bathrooms...

http://www.desmoinesfanforce.net/Orphans.htm

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:45 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

hothie wrote:
LoboStele wrote:
Hothie, you gotta look at the rest of the HoF.....Dean and NickName were among the first 7 that were automatically inducted. ;)

I didn't realize there was an existing HoF, and now that I've found it, I totally agree with the people who are there.

And on a twisted side note, wouldn't it be great to have a SWM Hall of Fame building, like in Indy or something. There's Canton, Cooperstown, Springfield, there needs to be somewhere that we can have a HoF building. In glass boxes would be the original meta squads, busts of all HoF members, interactive games for the kids, Mandalorian Commanders pointing towards the bathrooms...

That would be the best place in the world.

Great idea, guys, the only problem is I'm not up there. :D

Glad to see that two local players made the top 20, though, good job shinja and thejumpingflea!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:23 pm 
Jedi Council
Jedi Council

hothie wrote:

When they opened the new Basketball Hall of Fame here a few years ago they left the old one empty.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:58 am 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

homer_sapien wrote:
When they opened the new Basketball Hall of Fame here a few years ago they left the old one empty.

So you're saying there's a building primed and ready for us. Sweet. Now we just need to convince WotC to buy the old building...:)

http://www.desmoinesfanforce.net/Orphans.htm

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:15 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Fool wrote:
I just realized at this point that a bit of an error on this first round of ballots that should be corrected.

In my time working on the Archvies and working diligently on getting information and such, I become acquanited with the SWM French Community.

I don't think ANY of these people were considered (like Gordan, RAFPark and The Phantom Menace). They are invaluable members of our community and I'm sure there are other players in Europe that although not on many US or North American boards, have created a major impact on the SWM Community.

I am deeply apologetic at this time but know that come next ballot some of these people will NOT be missed.

We would be remiss to not consider them. :oops: :(

Fool, some of them were on my list of top 20 or so to nominate. Being only able to suggest 10 at a time meant paring down the list, but they definitely deserve some recognition at some point.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:49 am 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

I know we don't want to start making this huge list, but I beleive that sithdragon13 deserves consideration as a nominee. He has written HUNDREDs of short articles about different figures and the game and answered questions on Pojo.com. He has also been instrumental in getting all of us exclusive Pojo previews for several sets.