logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: The LotF Day Scenario: Did you play it? How horrible was it?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:27 am 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

Mr. X and I went to a new game shop to play in some LotF Day events.

Overall, we had a great time. Met new folks, had fun playing against them, got to do a sealed tournament.

But that scenario. Ugh!

There were only five players, so it was done slightly differently than intended. We had two groups. One group had three, one had two.

Mr. X and I were a "defender" team with 200 points. Since we had been told to bring 67-point squads for the scenario and a 100-point squad for a constructed tournament, we were allowed to play our 100-point teams in the scenario. Therefore, our squads didn't follow the single-faction rules.

The third player ran the Sith squad. (The two-player game had one person do Sith and one person have all 200 points of defenders.)

Our game was as follows:

My squad was Fett BH, Uggie, JWM, R2. Mr. X's squad was Aurra JH, Lando DS, Fett Enf., Uggie.

Sith squad: Exar Kun and a mess of Sith Mutants, with a couple Sith Troopers and a Commander.

We focused as much fire-power as we could on Kun, but he and his Mutants just kept advancing...and FAST, what with the advanced starting position AND transfer essence option. His Mutants moved into our territory and we were pretty much screwed from that point on as Kun transferred in to slice-and-dice my Fett then my JWM (my guys got him down to 20 HP before dying). R2 went down in one shot to a Mutant with momentum (that +4 from the Sith Operative was a killer, as lousy pieces were making fantastic hits). Fett Enf. took the last 20 on Kun, but by then the Troopers and Mutants and Dark Jedi had multiplied to stupid-huge levels and Mr. X's squad was completely overwhelmed.

I did try to make a flying advance to go find the Sith Operative in the rear area, but my Flight figs were the first to die and the rest of the team couldn't move past the blockade in the hallway.

Add to all that, the Sith team was easily adding 20-40+ points of reinforcements every round. I think we ended up with a 400+ point Sith squad versus our 200 points. We just couldn't keep up.

While we only had one Sith Lord to deal with in our scenario, the other player had multiple Sith Lords, plus the Sith squad was expanding even more rapidly against him.

So, in my experience, I'd say the scenario was totally unbalanced. I'm wondering if others had better/different experiences with the scenario...or if it was even played.

Post subject: Re: The LotF Day Scenario: Did you play it? How horrible was it?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:28 am 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

Location: Yes, I am yet another Canadian. Keeping the game alive on life support in the GTA.
We only had our hardcore four show up for our tournament rather than the 12 to 15 we usually get for a release event. I was the only one who was really familiar with the format beforehand and not a big fan. When the instructions came out, it was unanimously decided to scrap the scenario and play regular sealed. We all had to play on the horrid Ossus map though as no one else brought other maps.

Shooters ruled the day, Melee squads were slaughtered. Fun for all.

Post subject: Re: The LotF Day Scenario: Did you play it? How horrible was it?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:54 pm 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I was going to recap the experince at our LGS.

I feel that the scenerio was very unbalanced. We just drafted our minis from 2 boosters apiece, but the assulting forces won in both the games that where played.

I really was not impressed by the rules to the scenerio, but I thought the presentation wizards used was pretty well done.

.....hehe at least they gave us something to try....

[spoiler="Nomi's Severed Force List"]After Two Game's Played:
Luke Hoth Pilot Unleashed
Master Kota[/spoiler]