logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Re: Nyna Calixte the best piece in LotF?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:18 pm 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

I think Nyna is a great piece and adds a new dimension to the imperials.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:21 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Quote:
Walls are a pretty effective method of keeping pieces safe.
If i want a piece to last they usually stay behind them.

Well duh....but if your Disruptive piece is behind a wall, then it likely isn't affecting the Super Stealthed SCs.

Quote:
This is one method, another is to trap an SC after they've done their cunning shots early round.

Umm...I think that was exactly what we were talking about doing. AFTER the SCs have shot for the round, you run a piece with Disruptive out across the board in order to get the SC under the Disruptive bubble, and eliminate the Super Stealth. The problem I was pointing out with doing that, is that ALL of the pieces with Disruptive will get quickly mangled in the following round, and a Storm Commando is a 24 in cover, meaning that most of your good shooters are going to need an 11 or higher to hit, and they have to hit twice! So, unless you have more than 1 Disruptive piece in your squad, you're only going to get to use that trick one time.

Besides, when it's all said and done, it's simply a matter of playing your squad in a way that your SCs never get within 18-20 squares of your Disruptive pieces. Just like you would play against a LV B&B squad.

I'm not saying it isn't a good strategy, I just don't think that Disruptive alone seals the deal against Nyna squads. Now...Han GH (or possibly Han Rogue) paired with Disruptive could give you the chance to win init and kill multiple pieces at the end of one round and the beginning of the next, but it's dependent on winning initiative, and so that's basically just a crap shoot.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:46 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

For the most part, I consider Disruptive like Traps. It's a one-turn shot. Kyle Katarn and maybe, MAYBE, R2P0, are the only exceptions.

Against a lesser opponent, yes, you can wait til the end of the round then run up with the Disruptive character and try to get some shots in. You are still shooting a 21 Defense in cover, so you're attack had better be pretty darn high if you hope to hit multiple times for the kill.

But I promise that you will rarely, if ever, get a Disruptive character within 6 of my SC's, or the SCs of any experienced player. SC's should not be moving toward the center of the map so far that your opponent can reach them.

That's what Vader and Wicket are for. 8)

LoboStele wrote:
Quote:
Walls are a pretty effective method of keeping pieces safe.
If i want a piece to last they usually stay behind them.

Well duh....but if your Disruptive piece is behind a wall, then it likely isn't affecting the Super Stealthed SCs.

Quote:
This is one method, another is to trap an SC after they've done their cunning shots early round.

Umm...I think that was exactly what we were talking about doing. AFTER the SCs have shot for the round, you run a piece with Disruptive out across the board in order to get the SC under the Disruptive bubble, and eliminate the Super Stealth. The problem I was pointing out with doing that, is that ALL of the pieces with Disruptive will get quickly mangled in the following round, and a Storm Commando is a 24 in cover, meaning that most of your good shooters are going to need an 11 or higher to hit, and they have to hit twice! So, unless you have more than 1 Disruptive piece in your squad, you're only going to get to use that trick one time.

Besides, when it's all said and done, it's simply a matter of playing your squad in a way that your SCs never get within 18-20 squares of your Disruptive pieces. Just like you would play against a LV B&B squad.

I'm not saying it isn't a good strategy, I just don't think that Disruptive alone seals the deal against Nyna squads. Now...Han GH (or possibly Han Rogue) paired with Disruptive could give you the chance to win init and kill multiple pieces at the end of one round and the beginning of the next, but it's dependent on winning initiative, and so that's basically just a crap shoot.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:50 pm 
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina

Total newb speaking here, so I don't really know what I'm talking about when I say this, but her card also gives all characters in a squad with her, +10 damage against characters with Stealth.

Which means that your Lord Vader or JH Vader will lay some serious smackdown on Deena Shan (as if they wouldn't already), and more importantly, you'll take down Shaak Ti, Jedi Master; or the new Quinlan Vos.

Plus, it also kind of nerfs other SS squads, to a certain degree.

Not really all that important, but getting SS, an ability to fight back against SS, and some init control is pretty stinking good for 18 points.

Mostly just an icing on the cake sort of thing.

Sorry if nobody understands what I'm talking about. :?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:44 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Aeimnestus wrote:
Total newb speaking here, so I don't really know what I'm talking about when I say this, but her card also gives all characters in a squad with her, +10 damage against characters with Stealth.

Which means that your Lord Vader or JH Vader will lay some serious smackdown on Deena Shan (as if they wouldn't already), and more importantly, you'll take down Shaak Ti, Jedi Master; or the new Quinlan Vos.

Plus, it also kind of nerfs other SS squads, to a certain degree.

Not really all that important, but getting SS, an ability to fight back against SS, and some init control is pretty stinking good for 18 points.

Mostly just an icing on the cake sort of thing.

Sorry if nobody understands what I'm talking about. :?

Your point is not only valid, but very important.

Shaak Ti, Mara Jade, etc. are very tough pieces. That +10 damage is incredibly helpful and could swing a game in your favor.

Nyna is a very rock solid piece.

“Those with no tactical ability at all may never understand or accept it. Nor will such people understand or accept the tactician. To those without that ability, those who posses it are a mystery.” - Mitth’raw’nuruodo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:46 pm 
Sith Infiltrator
Sith Infiltrator

I agree that Nyna is a great pieces, but Dodonna...Tough call...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:33 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

My best SS squad has Nyna in it. Her and Kel Dors, maybe throw in a storm commando or 2... Now that's some good, clean family fun :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:38 pm 
Sith Infiltrator
Sith Infiltrator

SynGates8791 wrote:
My best SS squad has Nyna in it. Her and Kel Dors, maybe throw in a storm commando or 2... Now that's some good, clean family fun :mrgreen:

Clean aye?....See you at the Tourny Kev...Image

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:53 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Fool wrote:
mara >>>>>> Shaak

Sorry but assault/cunning at +16 for 120 -vs- nothing you can do about it, sista! Makes Mara fathoms above Shaak IMO.

Shaak and Tyranus suffer from Shooter liability.

+16 vs a 24/25 means she is quite likely to be in a precarious position. She is good, no doubt, but it seems highly unlikely she will kill Tyrannus or Shaak Ti.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 11:41 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Sithborg wrote:
Fool wrote:
mara >>>>>> Shaak

Sorry but assault/cunning at +16 for 120 -vs- nothing you can do about it, sista! Makes Mara fathoms above Shaak IMO.

Shaak and Tyranus suffer from Shooter liability.

+16 vs a 24/25 means she is quite likely to be in a precarious position. She is good, no doubt, but it seems highly unlikely she will kill Tyrannus or Shaak Ti.

Mara is a bit over-rated due to her fragile nature and gimmicky attack. I'd play Tyrannus over her any day (surprise!) If only Tyrannus had better faction support :evil:

Archives of the Gamers Jedi
is designed to be your official source for in-game rules questions!

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 10:11 am 
Unnamed Stormtrooper
Unnamed Stormtrooper

I'd have to say so because she is in my favorite squad as the main piece and it's a very tough squad to beat on the right map.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 6:38 pm 
Mandalore
Mandalore

Not to say anything about anything, but I have had incredible success with Nyna since her release. I basically use 2 squads, both with incredible efficiency.

Squad 1 200 pts

Thrawn
Mas
Lord Vader
Nyna
6x Gran Raiders
Wicket
2x Storm Commandos

On 4 different occasions I have completely Annihilated Mara Jade Jedi Early in Round 2 I did it by Swapping in at the end of round one, moving 6 and shooting her for 20 damage, winning initiative and Double attacking at +13 for 50 damage.

Shaak ti Fell in a similar manner, 50 damage shots from SC's really Hurt. Basically what Nyna does for Black and Blue is two fold.
1.) grants the swap fodder incredible defensive capabilities
2.) grants wicket enough survivability to be playable. Vader is a lot more intimidating from +18 attack.

The Storm Commando's serve to soften up opponents on their approach. And 40 damage against anything (50 against stealth) cannot be ignored. I often use wicket with them to make their weak attack almost a guaranteed hit (Traps).

Really, from (for the sake of argument) 7 squares away These Storm Commando's can dish out 160 damage before your opponent activates. No one just shrugs that off (although some lucky people will evade it) They are not to be ignored, and if you do not have face Han GH, it is almost a guaranteed disruptive kill in only a single activation.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:59 pm 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

You gotta love Nyna; and I respect her the next morning, too. :wink:

But if it's best single piece, uniques aside, it's gotta be the Elite Rebel Commandos, stone cold.

Put 3 of them in a squad, with 3 Bothan Nobles and they are absolute nightmares for the opposition --
even if it has Lobot or R2-D2. You'll be opening and shutting doors so often they won't know whether to spit or go blind.
And you can run up a full 12, take cover, have a Bothan Noble move\run up, and give 'em a snoot-full right in their face.
Rinse and repeat. Guaranteed to make other players lie awake at night and cry. :twisted: :twisted:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:09 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Well, you have to see "best piece of the set" from two perspectives:

1. Mini on its own:
I would definitely go with Han GH or General Dodonna.

For example, look at Luke Force Spirit! On his own everyone would say "he can move 4 squares more than Obi, what a great mini", but on second glance he lacks the synergy with his faction, that Obi has with Rebels (Leia of Cloud City, anyone?).

2. Synergy with the rest of the faction:
There are so many pieces that really rock, it is hard to tell.

Dodonna works with any squad, but since Rebels are mostly about Cunning Attack, his usefulness is limited to a certain degree (though still he is very powerful, no doubt).

Tyranus is a new beatstick for the Seps that in contrast to most others is VERY playable. He adds a lot to the Seps' faction.

Nyna is very powerful, too. She has tons of synergy with the Imps, so she is very near to the top of the set.

Han Solo, GH. Great piece, with solid stats and awesome abilities. A little fragile for his points, but he is a shooter and that makes up for it.

I could go on with this list for quite a while since Legacy was a great set. I see no mini that towers over the rest since almost every faction in the set got something useful. Only the Sith still have too few medium cost minis (20-35 points) and lack synergy.

Right now my personal vote for "best" mini of the set would go for Han. Being able to negate init control and still being very playable makes him what Ford made Han in the movies: UBERCOOL! His abilities also indirectly help the Jedi in the NR, so he is a great gun and "leader".

But as I said, that is only my personal preference and only by a thin line. At my LGS we play era tournaments at the moment, which leads to interesting squads. It also gives me the chance to play a lot of minis without focusing too much on the same old squad (unfortunately I can play Black Sun anytime and it is so hard to let go of them Assassins... :wink: ). Thanks to Legacy there is something useful and fun for any era. Great job WotC!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:32 pm 
Sith Infiltrator
Sith Infiltrator

I agree with I Kill Gungans. Very well done there.