logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Nyna Calixte the best piece in LotF?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:33 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

After several games with Nyna, I am just more and more impressed with her all the time. An 18 pt. fig with Recon AND Super-stealth. She may very well be the best piece in this set, and definitely earns a place as one of the top pieces ever designed for this game.

Super-stealth for other characters aside, it's guaranteed recon with little to no risk. Your opponent has to have a specific counter to deal with it, like It's A Trap! or Disruptive.

I would say she is probably the "sleeper" piece of this set, and I commend Luke Skywalker for introducing me to her in all of her majesty. :idea:

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

Post subject: Re: Nyna Calixte the best piece in LotF?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:46 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

I don't think she takes the cake as the best piece, although I love her! My current favorite 150 point squad contains her.

IMHO the Vong JH gets that title. How many 20 point pieces can do as much as that one? Not only will it stand toe to toe with a JWM, but it will usually come out on top.

“Those with no tactical ability at all may never understand or accept it. Nor will such people understand or accept the tactician. To those without that ability, those who posses it are a mystery.” - Mitth’raw’nuruodo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:49 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

thejumpingflea wrote:
I don't think she takes the cake as the best piece, although I love her! My current favorite 150 point squad contains her.

IMHO the Vong JH gets that title. How many 20 point pieces can do as much as that one? Not only will it stand toe to toe with a JWM, but it will usually come out on top.

Maybe best unique in the set, then?

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:52 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Grand Moff Boris wrote:
thejumpingflea wrote:

Two words.

General Dodonna.

“Those with no tactical ability at all may never understand or accept it. Nor will such people understand or accept the tactician. To those without that ability, those who posses it are a mystery.” - Mitth’raw’nuruodo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:53 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

She is indeed an amazing piece. I posted earlier on Luke's Imp SS squad thread about how I used her... it was pretty dominating at the LGS this week. No one brought a NTMTO Han this week, but Thrawn/ Nyna init control is just a bonus for the squad if you sprinkle in shadow stormtroopers with the storm commandos.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:54 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

thejumpingflea wrote:
Grand Moff Boris wrote:
thejumpingflea wrote:

Two words.

General Dodonna.

LOL, okay so she is in the top 5.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:56 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Grand Moff Boris wrote:

I just found it funny that you posted this after the huge deal you made about Dodonna. :D

I definitely like her. She is what makes my 150 point Swiss Army Knife work.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:59 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

thejumpingflea wrote:
Grand Moff Boris wrote:

I just found it funny that you posted this after the huge deal you made about Dodonna. :D

I still think Dodonna is a top piece, but that is why I said Nyna is probably the sleeper piece of the set. Hardly anyone, certainly not me, was looking for the initiative control "You can't target me" fig.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:03 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Grand Moff Boris wrote:
thejumpingflea wrote:
Grand Moff Boris wrote:

I still think Dodonna is a top piece, but that is why I said Nyna is probably the sleeper piece of the set. Hardly anyone, certainly not me, was looking for the initiative control "You can't target me" fig.

I know, I was just giving you a hard time Boris. :D

I very much believe she is the sleeper of this set. She gives a lot for very little.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:07 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

thejumpingflea wrote:
I know, I was just giving you a hard time Boris. :D

I know you were. I am just really tired so I am probably not conveying that realization very well. ;)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:13 am 
Warmaster
Warmaster

She is just what the Imps needed, IMO. I was never crazy about the 30D troopers, but I am really loving what she does for the Imps. This is the sort of piece I expected from a Ysanne Isard mini... a sort of "hide and (almost) always be one step ahead." But I am happy to get (real) Imp SS finally.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:43 am 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

I hadn't played her until last night...and she totally saved my bacon.

We did a sealed booster game after the scenario. One booster, build a 100-point squad.

My rare was Calixte. I thought I was done before I even started, since one guy pulled Cade and another pulled Fett.

I ended up with a Kel Dor and a Shadow Stormtrooper, so she was at least useful. I also had a Human Bodyguard and an Imperial Knight, which I paired up. Since I was at 93 points in my whole booster, the T.O. let me have an Old Republic Recruit to fill out the numbers a bit. The rest of the squad was a Human Scout and a Vong Warrior.

I lost to the Cade squad, as he ran up his Imperial Security Officer to negate my Stealth.

The other two games went much better (I won), as I used the Super Stealth to stand back and pick off my opponents' support pieces. (That Careful Shot on the Stormtrooper was quite handy, too!) The Imperial Knight/Bodyguard team worked well to take down the heavy hitters like Fett and Marasiah Fel.

The Super Stealthed Recon was great! I was almost always winning inititive.

So, yeah, I liked Calixte quite a bit. 8) I'll have to give her a try in a "real" team sometime. :P

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:54 am 
General
General

For the release event, I had to devote Ms. MR3 to take on her. My opponent (BGartz29) had so many stealthers and I had a semi useless Han, that I had to flat out defeat her. I have always disliked Super Stealth because it is quite boring to play against. You have no choice but to rush the enemy while they shoot you with impunity. It makes your shooters into overpriced melee. Sure their are counters out there (with Force Sense and It's a Trap), but there is no Ugnaught ... a cheap fringe piece... that any faction can play to nerf it.

Anyways, yes she is a dynamite piece, I was quite glad I had NTMTO to negate her recon as winning init basically sealed her fate.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:24 am 
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina

Niether Dodonna or Calixte are the best piece, or unique in the set.

Both are only applicable to a certain squad type.

A fig that would benefit more than 1 or 2 squad types would get my vote.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:37 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

This message board needs an "ignore" option if it doesn't already have one.

Seriously, can you ever post an opinion without it being a direct conflict? :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:01 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

dnemiller wrote:
Lord_Nihl wrote:
Niether Dodonna or Calixte are the best piece, or unique in the set.

Both are only applicable to a certain squad type.

A fig that would benefit more than 1 or 2 squad types would get my vote.

I believe Dennis was calling it the sleeper piece IE The pleasant surprise piece you just did not expect for the cost. Every set has one of these pieces in it. Just as every set has ARC/ECT/Rebel Vanguard piece the uncommon that should be a Rare.

So for you to dismiss by saying neither is the best piece.... well you did not read the whole thread or something.

I can see where Ulic is coming from regarding the squad-specific issue, but part of what made Nyna so suddenly impressive to me is that I think for 18 points she could almost - ALMOST - be played without any other (or very few) Stealth characters and still be worth it for the Recon.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:59 am 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

with the strength of the new Han i think she has a very tall shadow falling over her.

Recon is nice but it isn't as effective as you would like.

best 5 figs in the set are IMO (no order)

Han GH
Dodonna
Elite RC
Bothan Noble
Vong JH

coming in 2nd to these pieces are (again no order)
Nyna
Shaper
Cade
Deliah
kel dor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:05 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

fingersandteeth wrote:
with the strength of the new Han i think she has a very tall shadow falling over her.

A lesson I learned in gaming along time ago, you can't let the presence of counter-options hinder the use of great pieces/cards etc. Not everyone is going to have a NR squad, and even the ones that do won't have Han GH in them everytime, either.

With that sort of thinking, nothing is really good.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:24 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

boris wrote:
A lesson I learned in gaming along time ago, you can't let the presence of counter-options hinder the use of great pieces/cards etc. Not everyone is going to have a NR squad, and even the ones that do won't have Han GH in them everytime, either.

I disagree with this POV.

If your talking one off games on the table top then Nyna is a tough piece. If your talking about a tournament where you WILL see an NR squad with Han you have to be very careful how you build your super stealth.

you have to consider the amount of counter options of which super stealth has many.

There are so many figures with disruptive, force sence and 'its a trap' available now that your forced into a very particular squad type with Nyna.

You can try and ignore the fact that SS has an unhill struggle but it will only hinder your competitive performance.

We had a 150 LotF tourney this week. There were some SS squads played and none of them made the top 5.

There are few figs with stealth that have any survivability, there are few figs with stealth that have a large dmg output (storm commandos and Nogri commandos being 2 top ones).

She is a good piece but not one of the best. Superstealth is just making stealth what it should have been all the time, immune to accurate shot. Its just you have to pay 18-34 points to get the mechanic. Its got a lot of easy counters ranging from 8-50 points.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:27 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

fingersandteeth wrote:
boris wrote:

I disagree with this POV.

If your talking one off games on the table top then Nyna is a tough piece. If your talking about a tournament where you WILL see an NR squad with Han you have to be very careful how you build your super stealth.

you have to consider the amount of counter options of which super stealth has many.

There are so many figures with disruptive, force sence and 'its a trap' available now that your forced into a very particular squad type with Nyna.

You can try and ignore the fact that SS has an unhill struggle but it will only hinder your competitive performance.

We had a 150 LotF tourney this week. There were some SS squads played and none of them made the top 5.

There are few figs with stealth that have any survivability, there are few figs with stealth that have a large dmg output (storm commandos and Nogri commandos being 2 top ones).

She is a good piece but not one of the best. Superstealth is just making stealth what it should have been all the time, immune to accurate shot. Its just you have to pay 18-34 points to get the mechanic. Its got a lot of easy counters ranging from 8-50 points.

I ran a 200 pt. SS Imperial squad and had to play against 2 Han GHs. I still came in second, and would have won if I had trusted Luke_Skywalker's judgement (the player who posts here under that username, not the movie character) and stuck with Lord Vader instead of using Roan Fel and Ozzel.

Not everyone likes the new Han. Ask billiv what he thinks. :P

One more thing: of those counters you speak of, ALL of them are limited to "light-side" factions, and only one of them is a direct and complete counter to B&B, and that's Han. In other words, if my opponent is playing Vong Sith or Imerial or Heaven help them Mandos at a tournament then this whole discussion is moot, because those factions don't have access to the abilities they need to counter SS.

It comes down to whether a team built to beat SS can be good enough to win in general terms. If it's not, then it probably won't see much play.