logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: Re: Hahaha, I love when people try to take advantage on trades
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:13 am 
One of the Sith on Malgus' Shuttle

Huh...
Quote:
I think you and I are miscommunicating here. The "value" of a mini in terms of its cash value is very different than the "value" of a mini in terms of its trade value. The idea of what a mini is "worth" doesn't go very far in the Tradehouse. You can't trade $15 worth of Tion Medons and Dr. Evazans and hope someone will give you a Universe Vader equivalently worth $15 on eBay. Well you can, but you'll be waitin' for a while.

Many Very Rares have almost no trade value, and many rares aren't even worth the postage to bother trading. Many of the non-unique commons and uncommons are worth considerably more in "trade value."

The reason is that everyone in the Tradehouse has minis to trade, including many that they don't want or are doubles. Very few people in the Tradehouse, for whatever reason, have money to buy minis at the market price...

Everyone wants a Boba, BH or a Rancor but they can't be had in the Tradehouse without giving up from $75-100 in "value" in trade. If you tried to offer someone that even had a Boba, BH for trade an offer exactly equal to the eBay prices they wouldn't even reply to the PM, most likely...

Anyone that really wants a Boba, BH or Rancor would be much better off just going to eBay and just flat out buying one than trading for it if they wanted to get the best "value." However, people in Tradehouse usually are cash poor and minis rich (though the minis may not be good).

In the Tradehouse there are usually about ten pieces that everyone wants and those pieces command an absolute premium in terms of trade value. In the old days when Aurra and Maul from Clone Strike were going for $85 on eBay people were offering like fifteen Very Rares for one and were getting turned down. That was an offer of over $200 for a single mini, and it wasn't enough. Sure those people would have been better just buyin' one, but they didn't have $85 let alone $200, and the "value" of what they were offering in trade still didn't match the scarcity or "trade value" of those crazy pieces. The funny thing is now a single VR would probably be TOO MUCH to offer for those old pieces. Go figure.

The funny thing is that in the Tradehouse, there are plenty of commons and uncommons that traders want that command a premium more than the "value" of most rares.

Trade "values" are very different than cash "values"...

If you can find traders willing to trade premium minis for merely the equivalent cash value of "junk" rares and very rares, well more power to you.

I've been tradin' in the Tradehouse longer than just about everybody here, and I long ago got used to the fact that there were just some expensive pieces I would never have in my collection considering how much I'd have to give up in trade "value" just to get 'em...

I've learned the same thing regarding some of the more in demand C/UC. I'll never have everything, but I can at least have a bunch of cool minis to play with as long as I don't focus on the really valuable ones.

Last edited by jedispyder on Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:20 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

LOL, after he started out by telling you what he thought the CASH value of Cade was, lol. Please. That guy has just never had anyone been nice to him, and offered to make a good trade for something like Boba BH or a Rancor. Heck, if I pulled an extra Krayt, but was missing Veed from this set, and one of my friends was the other way around, I'd trade them straight up for that. Sure, 'cash' value is WAY different on the secondary market, but we both probably paid the same price for the booster to start with, and making that trade saves me from having to buy any further boosters.

I have to admit, he definitely sounds convinced of his own logic, and it isn't too far off. He just doesn't have a compassionate bone in his body apparently. :P

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:26 am 
Warmaster
Warmaster

LoboStele wrote:
LOL, after he started out by telling you what he thought the CASH value of Cade was, lol. Please. That guy has just never had anyone been nice to him, and offered to make a good trade for something like Boba BH or a Rancor. Heck, if I pulled an extra Krayt, but was missing Veed from this set, and one of my friends was the other way around, I'd trade them straight up for that. Sure, 'cash' value is WAY different on the secondary market, but we both probably paid the same price for the booster to start with, and making that trade saves me from having to buy any further boosters.

I have to admit, he definitely sounds convinced of his own logic, and it isn't too far off. He just doesn't have a compassionate bone in his body apparently. :P

Compassion leads to the Light Side. Who wants to lean that way? I know I've turned down offers of rares that I don't really want, but just neeed for set completion purposes. Most of the time if they are rares/vrares from newer sets I trade them on a 1:1 value.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:28 am 
Unnamed Stormtrooper
Unnamed Stormtrooper

@jedispyder

I Normally like your posts but you seem to be publicly posting someone's PMs to you. If that is true I can say I would now think twice about pming you for a trade or for anything else for that matter. Of the two 1. Offering a rediculous trade or 2. posting someone's PM. I really feel what you appear to have done is worse.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:43 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Actually, forcepush71 is quite right. Didn't occur to me till just now that you had the guy's name in there. Posting a PM isn't usually very kosher, but I do understand the reason in this situation, and it has generated an interesting discussion. However, you really should edit out the person's name, especially when it's involving Miniatures, and is likely a name that the rest of us recognize. No need to drag people through the mud.

Now, I'd go back and edit the posts myself, but my stupid work computer is giving me fits lately with doing anything on this site, and it took me about 10 tries just to post this response. So, when you get a chance, go edit out the specific names please. Otherwise, I'll tackle it either when I'm home later, or when my work computer decides to start behaving.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:39 am 

Sorry you feel that way, Forcepush71. And I didn't intentionally leave their name in there, I actually didn't know it was there (I made sure to remove the username at the front). The only reason I posted my last post was I had several people asking if there had been any responses. A lot of people I'd talked to wanted to know why the poster trades like he does (since no one has accepted the trade) and his last message clearly shows his reasoning. Figured it would give insight to his MO, thats all. It wasn't a "durr, he's stupid" post it was a "well, that clears it up somewhat" post.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:57 pm 
Unnamed Stormtrooper
Unnamed Stormtrooper

jedispyder wrote:
Sorry you feel that way, Forcepush71. And I didn't intentionally leave their name in there, I actually didn't know it was there (I made sure to remove the username at the front). The only reason I posted my last post was I had several people asking if there had been any responses. A lot of people I'd talked to wanted to know why the poster trades like he does (since no one has accepted the trade) and his last message clearly shows his reasoning. Figured it would give insight to his MO, thats all. It wasn't a "durr, he's stupid" post it was a "well, that clears it up somewhat" post.

Don't take me too seriously. I have seen you post enough to be confident that you were not trying to pillory the guy, I was a little disconcerting to see his name though.

Without a doubt his offer to you is rubbish. I tend to us Coolstuff or Strikezone to assess the value of traded pieces (I am mostly interested in relative value). Usually I am still looking to trade VR for VR and R for R. I usually give more value than I get in a trade as I am mostly trading for fun.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:45 pm 

Lol, only I hate feeling like the "bad" guy in these situations. I truly didn't know I had left his name, but its over and done with now. At least the afterfall isn't bad anymore :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:38 pm 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

traded with mightyzug...true,his first offer was retarded, but I made him a re-offer I thought was fair and he was good with it....Yoda JM, for my Vao, elite cone trooper,shadow stormtrooper, and Ugg demo....

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:04 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Darkness wrote:
traded with mightyzug...true,his first offer was retarded, but I made him a re-offer I thought was fair and he was good with it....Yoda JM, for my Vao, elite cone trooper,shadow stormtrooper, and Ugg demo....

Umm....yeah.....Yoda JM (very UNplayable, though older piece that's a little hard to track down) for all that? I guess if your a major completionist and it was one you were missing, then it's an OK trade. I don't have Yoda JM, and I'd call myself a semi-completionist, but I'd never make that trade.

Then again, I pretty much still stick to the R for R, VR for VR trend, unless it's an obvious ridiculousness like Moff Veed for Kyle or something stupid like that. Even then, if the only thing I'm missing is Veed, and the only thing a friend is missing is Kyle, I'd still probably do it since it helps us both. But I'd never demand the person trade me Veed plus more to 'sweeten the deal'.

I guess everybody's a bit different.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:01 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

HA

Your just spoiled 'cause you have people like me ("...Um, Dengar for a Pop and a Candy bar?") and Lackey to trade with :jango:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:36 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

LOL true, but it's not just you guys, it's pretty much everyone in our two LGS's. You and Lackey created an atmostphere where people were willing to trade that way. Heck, that's why guys like jedispyder end up being willing to trade me a Kyle Katarn JBM for a Luke FS. VR for VR, though the 'street value' is obviously different.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:50 pm 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

Lobo, Madman, jedispyder, I couldn't agree more with you guys. We are the same way up here with our local group in Columbus. Heck, half the time, I owe stsparks72, Squid89, sythlrd73, TyphonInc or miadchi and even up at the next set. Heck, Bob (Squid89) and Tom (sythlrd73) got 3 boosters out of me at the LotF release just because I owe them that much at the time.

We all even out in the end and it's really beneficial when you are trying to complete a set.

I had recent contact with our above named trader and laughed at the time since this discussion was taking place, I always ignore, but I thought I'd give it a try one more time. Needless to say, we haven't been able to come to an agreement because he'll only do promo for promo.

As for the above trade, I seemed a bit lopsided, but if you need that mini and didn't need the others to complete the set, I guess it was worth it. Eye of the beholder, I guess.

-b

SWM Promo Resource Thread: http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?t=515328
My trade thread: http://swmgamers.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=208
Star Wars Mini Trader - Come Trade With Us!
http://www.smithohio.com/swminis/
bkweikert@embarqmail.com

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:45 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

LoboStele wrote:
LOL true, but it's not just you guys, it's pretty much everyone in our two LGS's. You and Lackey created an atmostphere where people were willing to trade that way. Heck, that's why guys like jedispyder end up being willing to trade me a Kyle Katarn JBM for a Luke FS. VR for VR, though the 'street value' is obviously different.

Yeah,
well good fortune always smiles on those who smile back;
Trace was going on about how he wanted a Han GH, later he bought a booster and got among other things a Shadow trooper- So I trraded one of the Extra Han's I had for the Shadow Trooper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:42 pm 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

i got a fig I don't have and will fit in a couple squads I was working on for Vao(had 3), elite clone(had5) shadow stormie(had3) and ugg demo(had 6)...worked out well for me...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:07 pm 
Jedi Council
Jedi Council

Most of the time I just delete his trade offers. I have traded once with him though. A while back when I was working on getting the DCI promos from before I had found a store to play at. I had worked my way back to needing whatever the first three were. Every once in a while one of them would show up on ebay for around $10. He offered me all three for the CS Reprint Qui-Gon I'd pulled. I had to recheck who'd sent the offer since a week earlier he'd offered one of them for Jinn.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:50 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

He strikes again...
:roll:
Quote:
How 'bout I give you:

Korriban plastic-paper PROMO map (one-sided)

You give me:

Han Solo, Galactic Hero (LotF)
Jeria Syn (LotF)
Antaries Draco (LotF)
Lumiya, Dark Lady (LotF)
Deena Shan (LotF)
Jagged Fel (LotF)
Vader's Apprentice, Redeemed (tFU)
Juno Eclipse (tFU)
Wedge Antilles (tFU)

Let me know,

I've about had it, the more I think about it the more I realize how "little a thing" it is-
But then it keeps coming back to me how Incredibly DISRESPECTFUL it is as well....

in 4 1/2 years, this is the first person I've had to put on "Ignore"

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:22 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

WTF? That Korriban map can be had for about $5 on ebay most times now, not to mention that it's value dropped WAY down once they reprinted it in the Starter. And Madman, I doubt you even had that listed in your 'Wants' list, did you? Sounds to me like the guy just likes doing it to tick people off. Wow....

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:53 pm 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

OMG!

Unbelievable!!!

As Lobo asked, did you even have those listed?

-b

The Madman wrote:
He strikes again...
:roll:
Quote:
How 'bout I give you:

Korriban plastic-paper PROMO map (one-sided)

You give me:

Han Solo, Galactic Hero (LotF)
Jeria Syn (LotF)
Antaries Draco (LotF)
Lumiya, Dark Lady (LotF)
Deena Shan (LotF)
Jagged Fel (LotF)
Vader's Apprentice, Redeemed (tFU)
Juno Eclipse (tFU)
Wedge Antilles (tFU)

Let me know,

I've about had it, the more I think about it the more I realize how "little a thing" it is-
But then it keeps coming back to me how Incredibly DISRESPECTFUL it is as well....

in 4 1/2 years, this is the first person I've had to put on "Ignore"

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:57 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

... the map isn't even on my "Wants" list
(in fact, I STILL have 3-4 korriban maps...)

I asked Sparks- the best way to handle it - and Ignoring him from now on is the only way to make him go away for me...
I just feel bad for the new traders or those who really don't do their homework and realize he REALLY IS SCAMMING people...

If I "Out" him on the WOTC forums, I'll just get reported and he'll just keep on doing what he's been doing....

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next