logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Re: Han Galactic Hero + Kyle Katarn = Death of B&B?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:36 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Yes, they are. And to make it even rougher, Kyle has Grip and Lightning to help kill switch fodder.

Lord Vader still laughs at Disruptive, but it will still be a rough match up, especially if they win init. In the end, we will see how B&B evolves, or the new variations the spring up (Kyle is VERY good against the Roan Fel variants).

It is a very good and fun combo. I played this squad:

Kyle, BM
Han, GH
Blue
Luke, Ghost
Garm
Ugnaught

Did okay. Though those damn JH's tore through it (wish I had a Golan with me for Garm, would've been much better, especially since I figured out a nasty trick on the Rancor Pit).

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:41 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Sithborg wrote:
(wish I had a Golan with me for Garm, would've been much better, especially since I figured out a nasty trick on the Rancor Pit).

Care to expand on that? :D

I think that Kyle and Han are a great pair, however they won't win many games against Vong. (As Sithborg said) Meanwhile I think that B&B could handle Vong squads rather easily. Paper, Scissor, Rock anyone?

“Those with no tactical ability at all may never understand or accept it. Nor will such people understand or accept the tactician. To those without that ability, those who posses it are a mystery.” - Mitth’raw’nuruodo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:49 pm 
Jedi Council
Jedi Council

Sithborg wrote:
wish I had a Golan with me for Garm, would've been much better, especially since I figured out a nasty trick on the Rancor Pit.

What's the trick?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:51 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Pretty much you set the Golan up at the choke point (requires you to win side as well). Put Ghost Luke at the middle square, with Kyle right behind him. All the squares around the Golan are in Kyle's Disruptive area, and the Shaper HAS to be exposed to be within range. Han and Blue would've picked her off first chance, leaving only the Warmaster to reliably to hurt the Golan, taking AoOs while doing so. Meanwhile, only way to kill Kyle is Thud Bug, which would take some time. It isn't a reliable combo, but it would've hurt Engineer's squad a LOT.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:54 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

You think this tandem is viable in 150? I want it to work but I really am not sure they pack the punch needed.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:17 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Upon reflection, the combo would probably work better with a Caamasi. Provide cover, so then Kyle can't be Thudded at all, since the Golan will be the nearest. So, just need to win map and side, and I win against vong. LOL

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:31 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

Sithborg wrote:
Upon reflection, the combo would probably work better with a Caamasi. Provide cover, so then Kyle can't be Thudded at all, since the Golan will be the nearest. So, just need to win map and side, and I win against vong. LOL

Save me time of setting up the board and trying to figure out which side you need to win? it's late and my brain has stopped working :)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:33 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

The left side, the one with the large room you never start in.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:45 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

Sithborg wrote:
The left side, the one with the large room you never start in.

Maybe that's why I always lose... :P :lol:

Also that is the side I figured, but I am glad that you didn't make me try to figure that out myself tonight... my brain is shot this late at night

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:32 am 
Warmaster
Warmaster

thejumpingflea wrote:
I think that Kyle and Han are a great pair, however they won't win many games against Vong. (As Sithborg said) Meanwhile I think that B&B could handle Vong squads rather easily. Paper, Scissor, Rock anyone?

Disruptive still harms Vong Squads. Okay, they now have 20 damage with the Shaper, but it's still a within 6 ability meaning the Shaper is where the danger is. Take out the Shaper and bring up your DR10 Telosian Tank to mop up the Vong.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:19 am 
Sith Infiltrator
Sith Infiltrator

Not "death" but hurt, yes. If someone good enough played B&B, you could easily take out Kyle or preferably Han. Out activate, get to Han, Assault+Rage=Gone. Then again, a good player running the Han GH and Kyle BM wouldn't let that happen too easily either.
But I agree with Flea's
"Rock, Paper, Scissors"
But too an extent. I doubt B&B will ever die, but people just have to find better varients.
Gran Raider's and Nyxia anyone?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:25 am 
Warmaster
Warmaster

"Rock, Paper, Scissors," really describes SWM right now IMHO. I'd say every squad has a counter, and it's impossible to build to counter everything. This is one of the reasons I think that SWM is at the best point it ever has been. Fun all round 8)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:00 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Ugavine wrote:
thejumpingflea wrote:

Disruptive still harms Vong Squads. Okay, they now have 20 damage with the Shaper, but it's still a within 6 ability meaning the Shaper is where the danger is. Take out the Shaper and bring up your DR10 Telosian Tank to mop up the Vong.

The JH is good enough, you don't need them. The vong walked over my squad easily enough, and I killed the Shaper before they could engage.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:32 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

I don't think its the end of B&B, you could use Cade as your beatstick, keep you figs back and get shots on kyle or han at the end of the round. Though Cade not having accurate shot can cause problems. But Cade does have good damage output. But the Vader JH B&B could have a lot of problems with Kyle and Han.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:02 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

dnemiller wrote:
So I have been thinking of these 2 figs do they spell the end of B&B as they seem to nerf it completely.

I don't think so, I think it just has to evolve. Let's look at the 200 point format. Try this B&B squad against something competitive that's Han-centered.

57 Emperor Roan Fel
45 Stormtrooper x9
37 Grand Admiral Thrawn
20 Admiral Piett
13 Evo Trooper
11 Admiral Ozzel
09 Ugnaught x3
08 Mas Amedda

200 points, 18 activations

This takes away the power of Dodonna, and gives you enough activations that you can swap plenty of times. The Evo Trooper is the key back up piece, especially against Yuuzhan Vong, with its 40 damage, +14 attack shot every round. When Ozzel becomes a problem, you either put him adjacent to a fig that's about to die, or swap him into the Disruptive bubble.

The most important part of this trick is let your opponent come to you, then use Piett's Opportunist to dish out some damage.

You just need to keep a trooper 7-9 squares away from Han/Kyle, then swap Fel in and run up for the 30 damage hit. Then, hope to win init and triple Han. If you're facing just Kyle, you should have init in the bag. Go ahead, roll that riposte and see if I block. :evil:

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:23 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Boris wrote:
You just need to keep a trooper 7-9 squares away from Han/Kyle, then swap Fel in and run up for the 30 damage hit. Then, hope to win init and triple Han. If you're facing just Kyle, you should have init in the bag. Go ahead, roll that riposte and see if I block. :evil:

That is a problem for you though. Once you base Han or Kyle then you are dead the next round. Han and Kyle can do 120 damage (if you are based to Kyle) and that straight up kills Fel. Sure, you can have your little BG's, but how will they keep up with a swap? This is also taking into effect that you don't have the other 97 points of the NR build figured in.

If you were to win that match it would not be because of the B&B style, but rather the Opportunistic Storms.

“Those with no tactical ability at all may never understand or accept it. Nor will such people understand or accept the tactician. To those without that ability, those who posses it are a mystery.” - Mitth’raw’nuruodo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:48 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

thejumpingflea wrote:
If you were to win that match it would not be because of the B&B style, but rather the Opportunistic Storms.

100% agree. But it's nice blend of the Opportunistic Swarm with the B&B option, IMO. The only problem is when you run up against squads that truly need the B&B style to work, and then you have Ozzel keeping you from dishing out the attack/swap at the beginning of the round. So it loses some effectiveness on that end.

I'm not sure Han + Kyle is viable enough at 150 points though to cause a problem, and that's where it matters. I don't have either piece yet, and have only played against Han twice, and one of those times he was run be a kid of like 9 years old, so it probably wasn't a very good test of his abilities. I think Kyle has some possibilities, but his need to stand still in order to inflict damage hampers him a lot. Lord Vader still has a decent shot at killing him in a single swap in, run in and Assault, then Assault, run back and swap out (3 attacks from Kyle at most, 2 Ripostes, 1 AoO, maybe only 2 Ripostes if Vader manages to kill him).

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:31 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

Kartarn and Han GH are definetly the final end of B&B, if it hasn't eneded already. I don't know if they could handle vong, or if vong could handle B&B. Mabe the vong are finally competative. Mabe.

http://www.swshoebox.com/userSquad.cfm?user=sirstevee

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:19 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

SirStevee wrote:
Kartarn and Han GH are definetly the final end of B&B, if it hasn't eneded already. I don't know if they could handle vong, or if vong could handle B&B. Mabe the vong are finally competative. Mabe.

Unless billiv is right and Han is a scrub not worth playing, then B&B will live.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:56 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Boris wrote:
SirStevee wrote:

Unless billiv is right and Han is a scrub not worth playing, then B&B will live.

I still don't understand that comment. Han GH is as powerful as a shooter as it gets. Definitely in the top 5 shooters of all the miniatures in the game.

IMHO this new Han will be incorporated into many competitive NR builds.