logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Toploader Card Storage
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:29 am 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

I keep all my cards in Toploaders for protection and so I can write on them with Dry Erase to keep track of damage, fp's and so on.

Problem is, I'm running out of room in my tackle box and am not yet the point of wanting to carry around two tackle boxes. I'm looking for a card storage system designed to hold about five hundred cards in toploaders. I looked around, but couldn't find anything that seems to work, I figure there's gotta be something out there.

Any help or suggestions would be great.

Post subject: Re: Toploader Card Storage
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:34 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

I started out using the top-loaders as well, but quickly ran into the same problem you're having. The thick top loaders take up a LOT of space. So I switched over to using the 'penny' sleeves and buying deck boxes (the neat different colored ones you can get). Not only does it take up a LOT less space that way, but I can have separate color-coded boxes for each of my factions (red for Rebels, dark blue for Imps, etc.), AND you can still write on the penny sleeves with the dry-erase markers. On top of that, the combination of buying penny sleeves (which are 100 for $1...thus 'penny') and boxes is quite a bit cheaper than buying the top-loaders, IMO. And one deck box holds probably somewhere between 125-150 cards, IIRC. Right now, I have probably 90% of my cards in 9 of those deck boxes. Might expand to 10 deck boxes when LOTF comes out, but all 10 of those, plus my hardboard map, all my tiles, rule book, dice, markers, and LOS tool fit in a nice sized shoulder bag that I carry around when I play.

The cool thing is, I can also stuff a drink into that bag for when I'm carrying it around at a convention like GenCon. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:25 pm 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I guess there are two of these going......

from what I said on the other thread:

I keep all my cards in penny sleves/ Ultra Pro deck protector sleves.

I carry the orgainizer full of minis and I carry a card storage box (300 or 400) and that works for me.

[spoiler="Nomi's Severed Force List"]After Two Game's Played:
Luke Hoth Pilot Unleashed
Master Kota[/spoiler]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:33 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

I also use toploaders, but I found a different solution.

I only carry about 50 or so toploaders at any given time. The rest of my cards are kept in binders, and all of the R's and VR's are kept in soft sleeves.

This is also useful because it limits what I carry around, both in terms of cards and minis.

When a new set comes out, I consider what new pieces I want to use, and which ones are no longer playable in the new environment. Then I switch out.

Right now, I have 7 extra toploaders without cards in them, which should tell you what I think about the state of the game.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:02 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

I know a lot of people like the hard top-loaders, but I do not because they are too big. Some of the smaller boxes I trade minis in can accomodate a thick Ultra Pro sleeve, but not the top-loader.

So, I have all of mine in the thicker, more expensive Ultra Pro sleeves. I store them in an 800 count card box. (Have 5 or 6 of them to hold all my cards.)

I have never had a problem with bent or damaged cards. I can still write on them with a dry erase marker.

However, I also know a few people that use the 9 slot binder pages and keep them in big 3" binders. They keep a couple of empty pages and put the squad they are playing in there to play with.

As a side note since I work with the Boy Scouts in my spare time. The binder pages are an excellent way to keep your Merit Badge cards together and safe. Then when it is time for your Eagle Paperwork and Board of Review everything is nice and handy. :mrgreen:

If I knew how to type I wouldn't have to keep editing my posts! :lol: :lol:

Maybe. Just maybe my boys can protect the book. Yeah, and maybe I'm a Chinese jet pilot.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:23 pm 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

I use the hard toploaders and the big baseball card boxes just like Dnemiller, it works really well.
Just curious, but do most of you carry more than the squad you're going to play to your LGS on game day? That's usually all I take, with a few options for reinforcements if applicable. But I just can't see carrying my whole collection with me on the weekend.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:46 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

Thanks for all the suggestions. I like the binder idea, but I don't want to have to take them out of the pages everytime I use them.

Same with only carrying 50 toploaders.. I wanna put them in and leave 'em. Dean, can you point me in the right direction?

Thanks again everyone.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:23 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

footbag_sen wrote:
Thanks for all the suggestions. I like the binder idea, but I don't want to have to take them out of the pages everytime I use them.

Well that's kind of the point. Do you really use every mini you own?

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:12 pm 
Jedi Council
Jedi Council

I keep my stat cards in the penny sleeves and then sorted in card boxes. When i'm getting ready to play I can pull the ones I need out of the boxes and either just bring them like that or stick them in top loaders.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:20 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

Boris wrote:
footbag_sen wrote:

Well that's kind of the point. Do you really use every mini you own?

I try to.

Dean, could you get me the brand and model of that case you use. There isn't really anywhere near me that sells them, but the next time I'm . . . anywhere, I'll look. If I can't find them I might take you up on your offer.

Thanks again.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:04 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

Location: Yes, I am yet another Canadian. Keeping the game alive on life support in the GTA.
I've always kept my R/VR in Toploaders and C/UC in penny sleeves. I prefer the added protection the toploader gives to keep the card from getting dogeared.

For the penny sleeved cards I was always able to easily find a large variety storage containers available on the market. With Toploaders, on the other hand, I always had to make do with random small boxes and containers for storage. Until on vacation in France two years ago, I ran across Ultra Pro storage containers made specifically for toploaders called "Top Box." They were folded and spot welded plastic with a velcro closure but they fit about 37 Toploaders perfectly. I bought all the store had in stock, four and when I got home I found more on a European website and ordered five more.

I talked to a game store owner about having trouble finding the Top Box in North America and he said it wasn't worth carrying because most CCG players don't use toploaders.

My 2 cents.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:16 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I use the boxes that come in the magic fat packs. I have them all in 2 boxes (right now) Mini manager says I have 410 (and I believe it) I have Rebel, NR and Fringe and Misc( see Kazdan reference below) in one box and the rest of the factions in the other. Should take me about the next 3 sets before I have to worry about getting a third one. I can always make room by taking out the stupid stuff (like a stack of 20 just for possible Kazdan reinforcements and the 30 Stormies ( I never play with ) or the Nom Bomb AAs and Grans and put them in their own box.

Here is how I roll (literally)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:04 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

Location: Yes, I am yet another Canadian. Keeping the game alive on life support in the GTA.
I always prefer to travel light. I only ever bring a squad or two worth of minis with me whenever I go to play. I usually can get away with putting the minis in containers meant for slides, and I put the cards in a Top Box. What I am guilty of bringing an unnecessary surplus of though, is dice. I usually have at least 4 sets or more with a few extra 20's, but I really like to be able to retire a 20 that is not cooperating.