logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Re: Must Frustrating thing....
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:04 am 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

People griping about dice.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:20 am 
Warmaster
Warmaster

NickName wrote:
People griping about dice.

I feel your pain. One guy at the LGS builds stormie squads with no way to boost their +attack, and does not combine fire and then complains when the 15+ he needs to hit most of the pieces worth shooting at does not happen and blames it on the dice.

The only time I dislike the dice is on vassal. I know and agree that it is random, but I prefer rolling my dice so that I feel I was the determining factor, not some algorithm :D

My most frustrating thing about SWM is having to deal with the above mentioned person on a weekly basis. it goes beyond the poor squad design and general lack of strategy. He starts to lose and then starts swearing at his opponent and will complain that the rules aren't fair... and last week he just picked his pieces up and went home after the the third round of the tourney. :lol:

Post subject: Re: Most Frustrating thing....
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:34 am 
Warmaster
Warmaster

my pet gaming peeve has to be Impatient people.

You know the kind. The ones who just can't wait 2 minutes for you to make your move, whether their your opponent or not. Those ones that go "is it my turn yet" 5 or 6 times while your trying to decide on your best move, to the point where you just make ANY move just to shut them up. Or the people who need that rules question answered "RIGHT NOW" and just can't wait the 3 seconds for you to swallow the gulp of beverage you just took.

Course right behind that type are the "hovering babblers".. you know the ones that spectate and ramble on nonstop to the players loudly and certainly distractingly, to the point you want to yell at them to STFU so you can think.

[spoiler="crap"]
Quote:
MediocreMind
Support bacteria - it's the only culture some people have!

Code:
DCI Ranking
Star Wars Miniatures Constructed (as of 2008-09-15)
1826 rating   64 matches   21 events   
    37  All   33  North America   7  Canada   1  CA-Ontario   
[/spoiler]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:41 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

for me, it's the uncertainty of turn-out at tournaments. The closest place to play is a good hour drive one-way, and it's impossible to know beforehand what the situation is going to be in terms of how many show up and how long the games will last. I have tried calling before I left the house, but that doesn't help because in the hour it would take me to drive, the numbers could (and have) doubled, as people showed up in the last half hour.

More recently it's gotten worse as there are people who are at the store who choose not to play. It's difficult to justify the drive there and back when there are only 4 or 5 players and the games are over within 15-20 minutes. Last week the drive there and back took longer than it did for me to play, as my opponent in the final round left at the end of the previous round.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:15 am 
Warmaster
Warmaster

Well I know how bad my dice rolling is, and it's bad, so it's not that.

I guess it's one of two things;

Stealth. I just so struggle to play againt Stealth that I resorted to Melee squads for a while to nullify it.

Critical Initiative. It seems that we play a game for and hour, and we're pretty equal in SWM ability, just for the whole game to come down to a single critial initiative roll. Sometimes I really do think we should just decide on the outcome of the game on a single die roll. :|

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:10 am 
Sith Infiltrator
Sith Infiltrator

Arguing rules with someone. When I know and they keep complaining, to the point where I have to bother someone else just to prove to the person I'm RIGHT. Then they proceed to be rude to me for the duration of the game because I had made them look like an idiot.
Example:
Player:"Ok, I shoot your Han."
Me:"No you don't he's not the closest person, there is 2 minis in the way, and Han has cover. Since you dont have accurate you have to target an ugnaught."
Player:"NO! I can shoot whoever I can see unless one is out of cover, since all of them have cover I can shoot any of them!"
Me:"*sigh* Bro listen to me, you cannot. (explains rules)"
Player:"Wow where did you learn how to play!? If you don't know the rules, don't play!"
*Keep in mind that this was a simple targeting dispute and then he starts throwing out insults. This is the PG form, I toned what he said down. Now I'm getting really angry, and it's taking all my will not to show him what for. And every time I try to ask someone he goes on even more.*
Me:"Listen! I'm ganna ask someone, your ganna be wrong, and DEAL with it!"
*asks, the person says yes and says what a stupid question that was, now the dude is all imbarrissed and is just rude to me for the rest of the game. Complaining about dice, insulting my moves, rolling and instantly picking up his dice where I didn't even see the number, not paying attention or marking his stuff.*

Yeah that's the worst.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:52 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

Beating a player soundly with better tactics, squad synergy and even a bit of luck with the dice and having them blame the pieces, the dice, the faction, WOTC and just about anything else they can blame except for their own poor squadbuilding and tactics.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:39 pm 
Sith Infiltrator
Sith Infiltrator

Gemini1179 wrote:
Beating a player soundly with better tactics, squad synergy and even a bit of luck with the dice and having them blame the pieces, the dice, the faction, WOTC and just about anything else they can blame except for their own poor squadbuilding and tactics.

I agree Ten-Fold.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:58 pm 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

In terms of official WOTC stuff, I'm most frustrated by huge sets, and by the lack of a nice variety of playable official maps (especially at 200).

In terms of myself, I am often frustrated by my own idiotic inability to remember that doors are closed. This happens more frequently than it should:

Me: "Sev targets your Wookie Freedom fighter, +9 to attack, I'm not moving so deadeye applies. [rolls] Okay, I rolled a 16, so that hits."
Opponent: "Uh, dude, the door is closed."

If you are reading this and I have done this to you, I apologize. I wasn't cheating. I'm just a little absent-minded.

In terms of opponent stuff, it is never fun to play an opponent who just melts down and starts b#$5@ing and moaning when things go bad. I am, to some extent, calling the kettle black here. There is an apartment in New Jersey with a D20-shaped dent in the drywall that can attest to my own ability to lose my cool. But it is hard to be on the other side of the table from someone that is just fuming--you always worry that if you kill another Stormtrooper they're gonna flip over the table or something.

In terms of dice-God stuff, I've gotten much better over the years at rolling with the punches in terms of luck, but when I lose initiative even though I have recon active and my opponent does not, that still gets under my skin a little bit.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:37 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

Recon only shifts your odds of winning init from 50% to 66% so you should be expecting to lose an init pretty much ever game (assuming you keep your recon dude alive for 3 rounds.)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:52 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

buttcabbge wrote:
In terms of official WOTC stuff, I'm most frustrated by huge sets, and by the lack of a nice variety of playable official maps (especially at 200).

In terms of myself, I am often frustrated by my own idiotic inability to remember that doors are closed. This happens more frequently than it should:

Me: "Sev targets your Wookie Freedom fighter, +9 to attack, I'm not moving so deadeye applies. [rolls] Okay, I rolled a 16, so that hits."
Opponent: "Uh, dude, the door is closed."

If you are reading this and I have done this to you, I apologize. I wasn't cheating. I'm just a little absent-minded.

In terms of opponent stuff, it is never fun to play an opponent who just melts down and starts b#$5@ing and moaning when things go bad. I am, to some extent, calling the kettle black here. There is an apartment in New Jersey with a D20-shaped dent in the drywall that can attest to my own ability to lose my cool. But it is hard to be on the other side of the table from someone that is just fuming--you always worry that if you kill another Stormtrooper they're gonna flip over the table or something.

In terms of dice-God stuff, I've gotten much better over the years at rolling with the punches in terms of luck, but when I lose initiative even though I have recon active and my opponent does not, that still gets under my skin a little bit.

The same thing with the doors happens to me a lot, thats why I bring ugs and put a penny next to the door so I know its open.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:21 am 
Warmaster
Warmaster

Getting ready to roll the dice on the final attacks and actually accidently dropping them-
(on a "Good" number)
and your opponent insists you reroll :evil:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:38 pm 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

NickName wrote:
Recon only shifts your odds of winning init from 50% to 66% so you should be expecting to lose an init pretty much ever game (assuming you keep your recon dude alive for 3 rounds.)

Oh, I know that--the tone may not have conveyed that I was trying to make fun of myself a little bit. For some reason, setting up recon but not getting init bugs me disproportionately. I've played so much that I can roll with the punches and accept that those are the breaks when I have a critical miss when a 2 would have hit (hence, where I had a 95 percent chance of success), but losing init with the 67 percent chance of success still gets to me--maybe because setting up recon in a safe way requires at least some degree of tactical maneuvering that I feel I ought to be repaid for, or because if I am using recon it is probably because I am running a cunning attack team, so init is a bigger deal than usual. It is stupid, I know, but it gets under my skin.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:20 pm 
Jedi Battlemaster
Jedi Battlemaster

Whenever I play a game that I feel pressured to win.. I start to jitter.. its really annoying.. So I end up tapping my foot for about an hour through the whole game.

Opponents on Vassal who totally zone out for a while. I am guilty of this from time to time, but not very often.

Playing against someone and either winning or losing and finding out later that they had an illegal squad, and now the game doesn't count anymore, but you really would have liked that win/loss to count..

Having a fig killed in one activation before its even landed an attack.

Realizing that I spend wayy too much time and money on this game.. and realizing that I will keep doing it.

Join the FOLLY! Online casual League, find out more here: FOLLY

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:28 pm 
Sith Infiltrator
Sith Infiltrator

ImageThat last part is HYSTERICAL

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:13 am 
General
General

It is darn frustrating playing games at other stores and trying to understand the rules they play with as correct (I am not talking house rules here, I am talking how they believe cover works, or Sith Grip is Accurate). However, as soon as I find the guy who visits the forum and I say my name is emr131, they tend to believe me.

But, as Rodney puts it: I get no respect, no respect at all... when it comes to my squad builds and when I field them. All mocking until they see the power behind it!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:17 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Not having anyone to play with. :(

We finally had some sucker open a LGS in my area about 5 years ago. I only played Mtg then and there was a group of about 6-8 people who regulary played minis the first 3 sets and one was my good friend. At the time I wouldn't buy minis because of the substantial investment in Mtg (didn't need another bad habit). Then around BH I couldn't find anyone to play Mtg regulary so I started investing in minis( cause playin something is better than nothing). Now I am completly hooked and NO ONE plays this at my LGS anymore(becuase my good friends brother in law was one of those dorks who would use R2 to lock him in a room and acted like a cancer until everyone, even the store owner, couldn't take it anymore. Now I have 2 friends left that play. Problem, one won't engage and takes a full HP Bane and actually uses a FP to move 14 squares in the other direction until the other 2 beat on each other so he can come in the end and win(wow that is fun). The 2nd one says he will lose EVERY TIME upon squad reveal and then when there is a critical roll situation and he rolls under 10 he usually just quits the game completely and witches about his dice for 5 minutes. Thank god for Vassal and the GVL. :boba: but that doesn't help me evertime I look at the pile of expensive plastic I have in the corner. :x

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:38 am 
Sith Infiltrator
Sith Infiltrator

@BOBA:
Man I know exactly how you feel. When I first started playing (UH) me, my step brother, and 3 friends all played. But we played wrong (I'm not even going to get into that Rancor Pit). Then we stopped being friends, so for about a year I did NOTHING minis related. I got Vassal and it kind of helped, then met a friend online who happened to live 10 min away. Him, his dad and brother all played, was great fun. Then he moved to Texas *sigh*. Then I finally met Xanthan, now we're great friends. But he lives 20 min away, and I don't drive. FINALLY my great friends who live near me wanted to play, now I have 2 of my best friends right near me playing SWM and MTG with me. Knowing my luck, a giant piano will fall on them. ~DSBoom

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:09 am 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

Well I dont have many people to play around here. It could get worse though. I could have NO one to play with. Also, not having a job really shortens the minis you could get. I need some money and then I'll be in the business :lsfight:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:20 am 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

Boba,
That would be my most frustrating thing as well. I've only been involved in the game for year myself, but there is absolutely no one who plays in my area. I travel an hour and half each way to play in tournaments with the jumpingflea and shinja, or go the opposite direction and cross the Canadian Border to play - another hour and a half wait with border traffic.
When a new LGS oppened in town and sold through their minis real quick I got exited. I put myself on a list to start playing weekly or monthly tournements. After 9 months I'm still the only one on the list. The owner keeps asking people if they want to play, but everyone keeps telling him they're just collecting. Oh well.