logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Latest on new maps from WotC
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:31 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

This is from WotC Rodney, the lead designer for Saga Edition RPG. It was posted in a thread called "Galaxy Tiles" on the WotC SW RPG message board general section:

Quote:
o, I didn't want to say anything without checking to make sure it's OK first, but I can say something now. The checklist poster for the upcoming Legacy of the Force set has a brand-new miniatures map printed on the reverse side. It's a map of a landing platform on the Jedi Temple on Ossus from the Legacy Era comics, and it's a very friendly map for flying characters (though of course others will work fine on it).

In fact, I can confirm that all of the checklist posters for the sets released this year will have new maps on them. Check with your local retailer to get the maps.

Wow, that really takes the wind out of the sails for me. I do not own every set poster for every SWM set, and some of them I have never even seen.

On the flip side, it almost makes me want to fall down laughing. WotC_Erik told us before he quit that WotC didn't think they could make money on new maps.

Guess what though? They absolutely CANNOT make money on maps they produce that they're not even selling.

I hope they produce these posters in greater abundance. Otherwise, this is a real slap in the face.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

Post subject: Re: Latest on new maps from WotC
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:40 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

Boris wrote:
This is from WotC Rodney, the lead designer for Saga Edition RPG. It was posted in a thread called "Galaxy Tiles" on the WotC SW RPG message board general section:

Quote:
o, I didn't want to say anything without checking to make sure it's OK first, but I can say something now. The checklist poster for the upcoming Legacy of the Force set has a brand-new miniatures map printed on the reverse side. It's a map of a landing platform on the Jedi Temple on Ossus from the Legacy Era comics, and it's a very friendly map for flying characters (though of course others will work fine on it).

In fact, I can confirm that all of the checklist posters for the sets released this year will have new maps on them. Check with your local retailer to get the maps.

Wow, that really takes the wind out of the sails for me. I do not own every set poster for every SWM set, and some of them I have never even seen.

On the flip side, it almost makes me want to fall down laughing. WotC_Erik told us before he quit that WotC didn't think they could make money on new maps.

Guess what though? They absolutely CANNOT make money on maps they produce that they're not even selling.

I hope they produce these posters in greater abundance. Otherwise, this is a real slap in the face.

Yeah my LGS got two set posters for A&E and none for TFU, so I don't know if I'll see any of these either.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:55 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

Fisrt off, DAMN!! I totally had plans for an Ossus map as soon as the Map pack was done. Guess I have to think of something new.

Second off to Boris, Don't get wound up yet, I'm sure there will be plenty of MAps to go around, Just like the Tattooine and Bespin maps.

If its Flight friendly, I'm afrain its going to have an abundance of wide open space. Hopefully KMG wont become OKMG.

"Micro-managment Breeds Incompetence"

Being a Star Wars Miniatures Hall of Famer is a Responsibilty Not a Priveledge.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:57 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

Yeah, great news, if only my LGS was able to get the posters in. :saber:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:05 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Jedicartographer wrote:
Fisrt off, DAMN!! I totally had plans for an Ossus map as soon as the Map pack was done. Guess I have to think of something new.

Second off to Boris, Don't get wound up yet, I'm sure there will be plenty of MAps to go around, Just like the Tattooine and Bespin maps.

If its Flight friendly, I'm afrain its going to have an abundance of wide open space. Hopefully KMG wont become OKMG.

I don't know of a lot of people who own the DCI Bespin/Tatooine maps, either. And these aren't in league kits, either.

Unless they make a ton of set posters, these maps are going to be hard to come by. Don't take my word for it, check around for set posters from previous sets. See how many you find.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:08 pm 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

well, we'll have to see how this pans out, but my initial assumption is that many retailers will not be giving them away and we'll likely see them for sale on Ebay.

at least they're trying

SWM Trades: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1455

Customs: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3410

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:10 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Darth_Sal wrote:
at least they're trying

You're joking right? They should be TRYING to make money, you know, like a business.

Especially, as I said on WotC:

It's a bit ridiculous really. For all the talk of how cost ineffective new maps are now they're giving them out in an incredibly limited quantity for free. So, they can't afford to sell them to us but they can afford to produce them in a way 90% of the players probably can't get, based on previous set poster releases.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:20 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

Here in the Nofolk/Tideater area of Va, the Tatooine and Bespin maps were flowing like a river.

I remember korriban being a tough map to find, but they finally released it in the starter set, perhaps that was more cost effective for them. I'm sure this map will be relased again somehow, perhaps in a new starter set.

honestly from my experience so far with printing up these maps, is that it has to be done in exorbatant amounts, just to not cost the buyer a fortune, however it still costs alot of money and theres no real way for them to market them, like they did with the UM books, personaaly I think if they did a quarterly scenario pack, they would make a killing.

IF this gets to be a hassle finding this Ossus map, I'll start pirating them myself so that everyone can have one. I'm sick of SWM playing third fiddle to Magic and D&D.

"Micro-managment Breeds Incompetence"

Being a Star Wars Miniatures Hall of Famer is a Responsibilty Not a Priveledge.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:10 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

I just find the whole thing mind-boggling.

A company that laments about NOT making money to the point they refuse to produce products their customers tell them they want to buy ends up putting out the requested product in a way that WotC will make ZERO dollars on it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:23 pm 
Customizer Extrodinaire
Customizer Extrodinaire

yay, new maps. JC, im sure you'll think of something awesome anyway :D

"Genius is 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration."
-Thomas Edison

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:29 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Actually RS I think it should be:

Yay, new maps for those few who can get them from their LGS or the rest who buy them on e-bay.

I must admit I am disappointed by this news even though I can probably get a copy of each of them from my LGS.

I was really looking forward to a map pack, even if I had to buy it. Oh well, I am still very excited about JC's map packs.

Maybe. Just maybe my boys can protect the book. Yeah, and maybe I'm a Chinese jet pilot.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:42 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

This is absolutely retarded! They wont mass produce the posters. Each store will get a handful like the did the Korriban maps, and every one will be screaming foul because only a few will have them...I know some stores wont even get them. Someone will gobble up multiple copies and then ebay them. I know of one person locally that will do this if he can.

What the heck ever happened to scenario packs and starters!

Yet another bad move by the WotC bureaucracy.

Check us out over at Pojo.com

"It appears the Bothans have rooked us again."
-Obi wan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:58 pm 
Sith Infiltrator
Sith Infiltrator

What would be nice is some ******* starters! Starters like we had in RS, CS, ROTS! Now we get crap, and then they B*ITCH and whine about how they aren't making any money and give us crappier maps. I swear, they have a bunch of blind men with broken fingers designing the maps. Yet we were the #1 selling miniature game. And they act like we're a damn burden!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:21 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

It's true the 2007 starter has perhaps the worst map ever made (Korriban) but it also contains arguably the best (Throne Room). That's as many good maps as in previous starters which only contained one map total.

The only bitching and whining I see is from players. I've never seen any such thing from WotC. They very openly stated, with no whining about it, that map packs were not financially viable at this time and they were looking into alternate methods of supplying maps because they know a segment of players REALLY REALLY want more maps. Here's one of the alternatives--what's the problem? If you personally can't get it, you're no worse off then if they hadn't done it at all.

In my estimation, WotC treats players with a lot more respect than the players tend to treat WotC. True, SWM doesn't get the attention their wholy-owned brands get. That's unfortunate for us, but understandable given the situation. I'd like to hear your examples of WotC "acting like we're a burden".

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:23 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

You guys gripe because WOTC won't produce new maps, then when they are going to give out new maps with posters of the next set you gripe at that. What gives???

Yes I get tired of playing the sam maps in tournaments all the time, but I deal with it. I like the fact that i could get a new map for free or for little cost. Will it be DCI leagal? If not I assume that you all will gripe about that too!

And please don't use the arguemnt that you or your freinds has poured tons of money into the game, and that with out new maps what are we to do? I too have poured thousands of dollars and many man hours into this game, and it is a hobby i really enjoy. It has allowed me to meet new folks from around the world. If you think you need a new map there are tools that allow you to make your own. Invest some of the time you are complaining and refoucus that energy to create something that will be enjoyed by the communitty.

This is not aimed at anyone one person, but i am getting a bit tired of the constant complaining.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:35 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

It's the classic gamer mentality. If they got money in boosters, they would complain on how it is folded.

This method has seemed to work pretty well for DDM. In fact, I recall seeing plenty of the Desert of Desolation set poster/map at my local store. Giving the quality of the poster material, expect for stores to get more of them than the initial release of Korriban. Hell, I got a Desert of Desolation map and a Force Unleashed set poster just for signing up to be a DCI tournament organizer.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:44 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Sithborg wrote:
It's the classic gamer mentality. If they got money in boosters, they would complain on how it is folded.

This is a great line :)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:57 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

It is a classic line. And from my observations, quite accurate. Though the out cry about Revan not being super great has been much less than I thought. Perhaps the rabid Revan fans are too easily distracted by stats.

Anyway, I hope by Flight favored, it means plenty of cover. I would hate to get a new Mustafar. Still, excited to see it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:59 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

LESHIPPY wrote:
You guys gripe because WOTC won't produce new maps, then when they are going to give out new maps with posters of the next set you gripe at that. What gives???

Yes I get tired of playing the sam maps in tournaments all the time, but I deal with it. I like the fact that i could get a new map for free or for little cost. Will it be DCI leagal? If not I assume that you all will gripe about that too!

And please don't use the arguemnt that you or your freinds has poured tons of money into the game, and that with out new maps what are we to do? I too have poured thousands of dollars and many man hours into this game, and it is a hobby i really enjoy. It has allowed me to meet new folks from around the world. If you think you need a new map there are tools that allow you to make your own. Invest some of the time you are complaining and refoucus that energy to create something that will be enjoyed by the communitty.

This is not aimed at anyone one person, but i am getting a bit tired of the constant complaining.

I think the gripe comes mostly from the fact that the set posters are not easy to come by and that some people question WotC's assertion that they could not make money on a map pack.

Honestly who here would not buy a map pack of new, DCI-legal, quality maps? I know I would buy at least one and probably more depending on the price tag just so that others at the LGS could have something new to play on. I don't think I am alone in that regard, either. As I said earlier, my LGS didn't even get a TFU set poster, and only got two of them for A&E. They'd better be seriously increasing the production of the set posters to accommodate demand, or this "solution" solves nothing.

I'll still play the game with or without the new map/s, but playing the same ones over and over does get a little old. I have the luxury to not have to worry about how much money I spend on minis and minis-related products, so I welcome all the new SWM product that they care to produce.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:08 am 
Jedi Council
Jedi Council

Darth Ruthven wrote:
I think the gripe comes mostly from the fact that the set posters are not easy to come by and that some people question WotC's assertion that they could not make money on a map pack.

Honestly who here would not buy a map pack of new, DCI-legal, quality maps? I know I would buy at least one and probably more depending on the price tag just so that others at the LGS could have something new to play on.

My guess is the problem with making money on a map pack is that while most players would most likely buy one, one is all most of them would ever buy.