logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Re: Should the 100 point exactly restriction be removed from DD?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:40 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

emr131 wrote:
A Bossk squad made it to the final 8 in the championship... does not mean it deserved to be there.

I don't understand the logic here. i don't know all the back story behind this squad, but if you survive the mutiple rounds to make it to the top 8, how do you not deserve to be there?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:54 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Dice.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:18 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Keep the restrictions. It's part of what makes the format interesting. As someone else said, if you drop the 100 point exactly restriction, then it just becomes like any other typical 100 point-or-less game.

We've only done DD a couple of times, and have enjoyed the format. We've had issues with people not realizing it was 100 points exactly, and there was one evening that we had planned to do DD that we ended up scrapping altogether because several people didn't understand the build rules. However, those that didn't understand were the young guys in the group, who don't post on the forums at all, and typically don't listen very well even when I do explain the rules to them.

Honestly, I wouldn't let the whole "oh man, people can follow/read the rules" thing sway you one way or the other at all. It doesn't matter how you write 'em, someone will still misunderstand it, or twist it to mean what they want it to (like the non-faction squad the guy tried to run at GenCon). Only change the rules if you feel like the gameplay itself would benefit from a change.

We discussed briefly with our play group a while back what differences it would make if we ran it up-to-100, or without faction restrictions but keeping the exactly 100 criteria, and whatever other differences we could come up with. If I remember correctly, we all still decided that the basic, faction restricted, exactly 100 points set-up was the best.

And FWIW, I'm pretty sure we all had pinpointed the best new DD combo as soon as the stats for Luke & Yoda released. I doubt it will take much for people to identify new key combos from the KOTOR set. Heck, we'll have an entire week to work with it. :P

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:40 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

LESHIPPY wrote:
I don't understand the logic here. i don't know all the back story behind this squad, but if you survive the mutiple rounds to make it to the top 8, how do you not deserve to be there?

Well, I think it's mostly the inclusion of Bossk more than the entire squad, though this might have also been the top 8 squad with no door control either. The rest of the squad was a typical JWM swarm which is good enough in general to reach the top 8 if you get a bit of luck and don't hit too many bad matchups or "no hope for melee" map rolls along the way.

The JWM swarm build with Bossk was pretty clearly inferior to some of the other JWM swarms that didn't make the top 8.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:35 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

I can only comment on gut, as I have never played this format. This having been said, I like the idea of lightning restrictions a smidge, if only because it will increase variety. If you are "exactly 100" and stick to faction restrictions, you will see a LOT of mirror matches, I think. Just my opinion... but certainly feels that way.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:18 am 
Jedi Council
Jedi Council

LoboStele wrote:
And FWIW, I'm pretty sure we all had pinpointed the best new DD combo as soon as the stats for Luke & Yoda released. I doubt it will take much for people to identify new key combos from the KOTOR set. Heck, we'll have an entire week to work with it. :P

That's one of the things I liked about DD squad building. When a new set comes out all you have to do is go through the set and pick which pieces you think would be good as half of a DD squad then check shoebox or minimanager to see what options, if any, you have for the second piece.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:05 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Grambo wrote:
I can only comment on gut, as I have never played this format. This having been said, I like the idea of lightning restrictions a smidge, if only because it will increase variety. If you are "exactly 100" and stick to faction restrictions, you will see a LOT of mirror matches, I think. Just my opinion... but certainly feels that way.

Not really. At gencon i noticed a lot of different squads using figures that you really dont see any more.

Check us out over at Pojo.com

"It appears the Bothans have rooked us again."
-Obi wan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:09 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

Maybe you should have set this thread up as a VOTE thread to keep track on the YES and No's. ( if enough take part in the thread that is)

For me it's a YES it should be removed.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:09 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

I might have except this is not a "poll." I don't want just "yes" or "no" answers and I don't mind saying that I have disregarded every response that has been just a yes/no attitude without the reasoning being provided for why that stance has been taken.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg