logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Vader or Vader or Vader or....
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:56 pm 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

The vader thread got me thinking. I still dont have any Vaders and I was looking for some advice. If you were going to buy a vader any vader but only ONE vader which one would you get. Which is the most enjoyable to play and which is the most likely to win you the odd 100 pt or 150 pt game. It seems most vaders run you around 20 dollars give or take so money is not the issue I want to focus on. Thanks in advance

Post subject: Re: Vader or Vader or Vader or....
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:02 pm 
Sith Infiltrator
Sith Infiltrator

Personally, Vader JH is by far the best vader. He's so well rounded and just so dang powerful. While Lord Vader is all offencive and nothing really to prevent damage. Those are my Favorite 2.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:14 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

I'd have to go with Verj here, Lord Vader is all offense, but Vader, JH can do it all. He'd be the vader I'd build a 100 point team around if any.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:36 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

I love Vader JH; he is by far my favorite to play with. His awesome defense and great attack value makes him fearsome.

I've only played with Lord Vader once......boring fig. :vader:

Archives of the Gamers Jedi
is designed to be your official source for in-game rules questions!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:01 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

For me, I'd have a tough time deciding between Champion of the Sith Vader and Imperial Commander. The former has a really fun CE that really captures the flavour of ESB Vader which can also backfire. He's also a bit more useful than the Dark Jedi version, at least in every scenario besides the huge point games. And when the gamble doesn't pay off, there's some consolation in being able to say in your best Vader voice, "You have failed me for the last time..."

I really like IC Vader too, though, just because I love my Trooper squads (in any faction) and the Empire have the best troopers around.

Depends on your play style, I would say. Those two suit my style more than any of the other ones we have.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:26 pm 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

The best thing is that there is literally a Vader for every playstyle. Need a glass-cannon beatstick? Lord Vader's your man. If you're looking for a fun commander, then you've got two options in Champion of the Sith or Imperial Commander. If you want to decimate your opponent from across the board, look no further than Unleashed. Then there's Jedi Hunter...when you absolutely, positively got to kill every enemy in the room, accept no substitutes.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:17 am 
Customizer Extrodinaire
Customizer Extrodinaire

i agree with conhead. Whats your playing sytle, do you like to play it safe, or go and charge into a room, beating everybody up? Do you like to play a one man show, or are yo umore of a team effort person? It all depends on what type you want.

JH=solo, beat em up though has some defense
LV=go beat em up big time, create mass chaos
IC=team player, defensive
CotS=team player, offenisive
SL=not much use
DJ=not much use
UL=play it safe for a few rounds then beat em up
RotS=inexpensive, mid range beat

I think i got them all, hope this helps :D

"Genius is 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration."
-Thomas Edison

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:32 am 
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice

My personal list - somewhat biased to my playstyle but trying to be as general possible

1. Vader, JH - He has everthing but a discount, has set the bar in terms of beatstickiness across all factions.
2. Vader, COTF - I think his CE is the best of all the vaders (maybe except Lord Vader, who isn't around for his CE)
3. Lord Vader - A more agressive piece that fits in todays more agressive game
4. Vader, Unleashed - I'm finding myself drawn more and more to this Vader - cheap cost (for a vader), and fascinating force abilities that you'll use once, maybe twice in a game.
5. Vader, IC - I feel that usually the Felucian and a Diplomat do a better job than Vader IC, but it is hard to deny the sick potential of 30+ defense filler.
6. Anakin - A pretty decent fig for his cost, though with the melee recosting he's becoming less and less attractive compared to the new vaders for only 10-15 points more
10+ All other vaders - I can't even recall any other vader I've played with that wasn't a "Lets play this crappy vader and see if I can win" type thing. Maybe the force burst guy... maybe.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:02 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

Vader JH is the best Vader IMO. He can hold his own against just about any fig. Has great damage output against force users. Works really well in B&B builds. His pose is also cool. Vader JH also has dark armor, deflect, and block so he has great defense powers. Vader JH also has some of the best stats in the game.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:27 pm 
Jedi Council
Jedi Council

scoundrel wrote:
If you were going to buy a vader any vader but only ONE vader which one would you get.

If I could only have one Vader it would be Jedi Hunter.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:56 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Man, this would be a tough choice for me between Lord Vader and Vader JH I think.

If you play mostly 100 or 150, you probably shouldn't need to think about the other ones all that much, as they are all geared more towards Trooper swarms, which are most effective at the 200 point level. There are some Trooper swarms that can do well at 150 points, but it's tough to fit in a Vader as well, since he takes 1/3 or more of the points.

Some of it also depends on what type of squads your usual opponents play? Do you play at an LGS regularly? Do the people there play a lot of Jedi? If so, then Jedi Hunter is your man. If they play a lot of other things, mobile shooters, San Hill, Boba Fett, etc., then Lord Vader might be better. LV has to be played very carefully though, and he's not very forgiving if you make mistakes. One bad placement, and he'll drop like a rock, so that's the advantage JH has. You can screw up a move, or not catch something your opponent can do, and JH will survive a bit better still because of his defensive Force Powers. If you're typically pretty good about keeping your pieces out of LOS until just the right moment, and you like the sheer potential of damage output, then you'll have plenty of fun with Lord Vader.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:31 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

my response won't help you that much cos i'd hate to have to pick one.

Jedi Hunter Vader (75 cost)- can take a real beating and if you can get him adjacent to someone and win initiative can do some good damage. He's one of the hardest pieces to kill in the game and destroys jedi but his dmg output is quite stationary. He does have force whirwind and grip for some range power but his best offense is a jedi hunting triple attack which you have to forgo movement to do. Has force renewal, lighsaber block and deflect together with dark armor and huge defence to give him a defensive shield that is second to none.
(140 HP, 23 Def, 16 att, 20 dmg)

Lord Vader (71 cost)- this fig is probably the most fun to play Vader. Leaping sweeping, raging sweeping, raging assaulting, leaping raging, overwhelmingly beating Vader. A force beast hitting anything he can with lightsaber twice (twin attack, everytime he attacks, he attacks twice) and often 4 times (lightsaber assault, attack someone twice) from up to 8 spaces away. Has a plethora of offensive force abilities and with master of the force 2 so that he can use 2 at a time (hence the force leap/force sweep or lightsaber assault/sith rage possibilities).
Probably the most offensive piece in the game but can't stand up to the beating that JH can. He does have dark armor though.
(130 HP, 21 D, 14 Att, 20 dmg)

Darth Vader Imperial Commander (53 cost) - Typical Vader stats, high d, high attack. With block, deflect and riposte has decent defensive and offensive abilities but has limited force (force 5 no renewal). Grip is a nice scrub killer but your paying so that your troopers get stupidly high defence (stormtroopers are 22 defence). Like a lot of the mid cost vaders he is well rounded but obviously taylored to lead a troop into the fight.
(140 HP, 23 D, 15 att, 20 dmg)

Vader Unleashed (50 cost)- a force cannon of sorts. Has rangeless force powers that do 40 dmg on sight. However needs a couple of rounds to charge (force 2 but has renewal). Soften them up with grip and lightsaber throw 5 and then beat on them with good double attacking stats. Dark Armor is his defence.
(140 HP, 23 D, 15 att, 20 dmg)

Vader Champion of the Sith - Good stats. Good defensive abilities (block and deflect) with force grip but only 4 force before he is force spent. You play him mainly for his CE which has a painfull drawback but can be quite powerful.
(140 HP, 22 D, 15 att, 20 dmg)

the rest of the vaders don't really do it these days and if your gonna get one only i would get either Lord Vader or JH Vader. But it depends on your collection and what you like running and who you play against.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:27 pm 
Sith Infiltrator
Sith Infiltrator

You have 2 vader unleashed, which is correct?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:58 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

DarkLordVerjal wrote:
You have 2 vader unleashed, which is correct?

The first "unleased" is obviously Vader, Imperial Commander.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:22 pm 
Sith Infiltrator
Sith Infiltrator

Oh, ok.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:06 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Conehead2188 wrote:
Then there's Jedi Hunter...when you absolutely, positively got to kill every enemy in the room, accept no substitutes.

Thanks for the Jackie Brown quote; I'm going to watch this when I get home tomorrow :)

Archives of the Gamers Jedi
is designed to be your official source for in-game rules questions!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:11 pm 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

yeah I have always like jh the best since it came out

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:17 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

JH has the best equaly offensive and defensive package in just about the enite game, hes a beast. Definatley your best bet for the point lvls your playing at.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:33 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

The only Vader I have is Champion of the Sith, and I've grown to like what he can do for 50 points.

But's he's not the beatstick that I've seen the Jedi Hunter to be, so it really is up to your own playstyle.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:13 pm 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

punxnbutter wrote:
Thanks for the Jackie Brown quote; I'm going to watch this when I get home tomorrow :)

You're welcome. 8)