logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Map 5 - Felucia
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:47 am 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

Here is a preview of Felucia, still under construction.

First an Overview. Basically its a few bunkers among some big purple shrooms (defeintly my most trippy map :lol: )

I think Gambit is going to be bit of a contraversy, but only a few games with different squads will decide.
HEres a close up of the Gambit

I spent so much time on the foliage, I don't think I will ever do a forest/jungle :Ewok:

This is going to be one of the maps featured in the map pack.

My version of Echo Base is the next and final map.

"Micro-managment Breeds Incompetence"

Being a Star Wars Miniatures Hall of Famer is a Responsibilty Not a Priveledge.

Post subject: Re: Map 5 - Felucia
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:04 am 
Warmaster
Warmaster

WOW

how long before the map pack come out....!?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:41 am 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

Preoreders are going to start in the next few weeks, and the "release date" Sometime Early March.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:49 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Very interesting! I love the way it looks so far.

Although, you are right, as far as gambit goes, or just balanced sides in general, it looks to me like the left side has a huge advantage. The right side only has two lanes in can advance through: the straight open lane towards the bottom, or the door all the way at the top. The left side ends up with effectively three ways to approach: all the way at the top, the open lane at the bottom, or through the door at the gambit area.

Also, the right side will need two rounds AT LEAST, probably 3 to safely reach the gambit zone. I might suggest putting in one more door somewhere along the right side of the main bunker. Obviously, probably don't want to put it where it will cause a fully open lane, or allow for the right side to gain gambit 1st round with too much ease. Perhaps something right across from the 1 square door in the 3x3 room on the right side.

Other than the gambit thing though, I love it!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:04 am 
Warmaster
Warmaster

The time you spent shows, great looking map!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:09 am 
Warmaster
Warmaster

I think the effort you put in on these is amazing JC. Lobo addressed the gambit zone "controversy" that I don't feel that anything more really needs to be said on it. I am thinking that I may have to pick one or two of these map packs, they're all awesome!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:17 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Great map JC. I think you have really shown in these maps that you can have huge friendly and still have plenty of obstacles for those that don't play any huges. I can't wait to see it final. :r2line:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:07 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

I love it so far. What about thsi for gambit correctiion: Make the right door three squares wide and move it down 4-5 (after expadsion) squares to make it easier for the right side to get through even with huges.

Since the left side has the easier time of gambit, make their door two squares wide, eliminating the square on the bottom and leave it where it is.

Check us out over at Pojo.com

"It appears the Bothans have rooked us again."
-Obi wan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:21 pm 
Customizer Extrodinaire
Customizer Extrodinaire

sweet map! keep it up JC!

"Genius is 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration."
-Thomas Edison

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:21 pm 
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice

You continue to put out high quality materials. Thanks so much for your efforts. The variety of locale is great and the thought you put into game play is fantastic. Yet each map is uniquely configured. Can't wait for this set to be completed.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:41 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

looks to be a fantastic map.

Its good that, as a map maker, you are aware of the problems that govern some of the more imblalanced maps.

This map does threaten to be one of those without some adjustments. As Lobo and Sith Dragon state, you've given the left essentially 1st round gambit (i'm assuming after cover and difficult terrain is added it will need at least flight) and the right one hell of a job to achieve the same.

No only that but the left will have a fairly guarded advance whereas in order for the rightside to achieve the same requires either a towed fig or override and a swoop. In either case your exposing your override in order to keep pace with the left.

I would add a door (2 or 3 spaces wide) just above the bottom wall on the right side of the top room. Whether you then choose to keep the top door is up to you. It still doesn't gurantee 1st round gambit (need extra speed) and there are still 2 doors to navigate through but at least it is possible for a larger number of figs (an amanin for example).

Thats the quick fix.

The (better IMO) alternative is to move the top 5 buildings in their entirity (keeping their geometry identical) 2 squares left and 2 squares down so that only the bottom 2 squares of gambit are outside of the large building (the 2 squares outside the 2 square door at the bottom of the computer room). This makes it slightly more tricky for the left to get 1st round gambit (need extra speed).
This would also mean that the right side would be 18 squares away from gambit with only one door to navigate.
When doing this you would probably have to make both doors on the bottom right hand room 3 squares wide to allow the map to remain huge friendly or you could just shorten the left edge of the room by one square (the latter is probably preferable). Of course shortening that room and giving it a 3 square door would make the left and right even as far as huge movement is concerned.

I would prefer this fix because it centralises everything a lot more and, whereas one side has a slight edge, its pretty damn balanced after that. Most of the action would be about controlling the central building which is what i believe this map should be about.

However, i don't know how difficult that would be for you to do so perhaps Lobo and Siths suggestions are more feasible but you shouldn't leave the gambit problem as is. It does need a fix.

In anycase, its a great looking map and looks like a lot of fun.
Nice work.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:40 am 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

Thanks for the input, everyone, will defintly do something for the right side of the map.

I don't know if this holds much bearing, but the large mushrooms are treated as walls.

Fingers and Teeth, I think you solution is the best, however to do that means pretty much re-doing the map, and I'm pretty entrenched at this point. We'll see

Also F&T I emailed you a few weeks ago, about doing some work together, let me kow If your interested!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:21 am 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

Jedicartographer wrote:
Fingers and Teeth, I think you solution is the best, however to do that means pretty much re-doing the map, and I'm pretty entrenched at this point. We'll see

Yeah, i thought as much, my second suggestion is a pretty dramatic change. I was hoping that the rooms were floating in a top layer in photoshop so you could move them about without too much bother. How difficult would it be to move the top right door on the center building?

Quote:
Also F&T I emailed you a few weeks ago, about doing some work together, let me kow If your interested!

Absolutely! Although i don't think i ever recieved an e-mail (or at least never read it). Last correspondence i remember from you was the getting the theed map. Can you resend what you were proposing?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:23 am 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

Changing the Walls and Doors around really isn't an issue at all.

So I'll do that.

Ususally I layer my maps alot more than this, however I have a Computer thats about 6 years old, and you start piling on too much stuff and my already shaky performance taks a nose dive. I end Up flattening the maps to help preserve memory.

The NAtural maps(forest and Jungle types) always seem to blockup the computer more than the street/city type maps.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:01 pm 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

Two words for you:
Holy Schnikies!

Seriously that looks great so far! Thanks for your hard work supporting the community!

SWM Trades: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1455

Customs: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3410

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:55 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

Wow, the map is looking sweet. Being that Aayla Secura is my favourite character, I'm really digging this one. I look forward to seeing the completed project. I concur with some of the gambit issues already brought up, but it's still a work in progress.

What's this map pack that everyone's talking about?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:51 am 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

Read JediCartographer at Gencon questions thread for all the up to date info on The Map pack. In a nutshell, I'm goingto publis 6 of my maps, andd have them avaable for sale in little package. Its getting released in March, and preorderes will start very soon.

Secura is one of my favorites also, and I kind of based this map on in fo on the battle of felucia, so that the maps can be used in battle of felucia scenarios.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:06 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

Good Lord, I can not type (see last post)

Ok heres the updated preview of Felucia, which I'm going to shelve so I can begin work on the final map,Echo Base. This map is essentially finshed, just need to add a little more shinieness, and terrain marking.

I added another door on the right side of the main bunker, not the perfect fix, but will help even the playing field.

Heres a few close ups

I really don't want to sound conceteited, because this really is just pride in my craftmenship, but Wizards is retarded if they don't start taking a look at some of these maps.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:11 pm 
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina

Let me say, it's not conceit if I agree with you! Nice work, JC! :D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:25 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

another top notch effort. I think this map is very balanced for gambit and in terms of favoring shooters vs. melee. Everytime I see more of your work it makes me want your map packs even more!