logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: UPCOMING ARTIST PROOFS OF MINIS
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:01 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

So, I have this buddy who goes to all the CIV's and stuff like this and is a massive collector of all things Star Wars on the Steve Sansweet level as compared to I who is of the Target-Walmart collector ilk. He sends me this email as follows-

Hey, I thought you might be interested in seeing this. I bought an artist proof print from her after CIV. So, I guess that I am one of her hard core collectors. Anyways, it would seem as if these are drawings done for the minis line. So, maybe it is an insight as to what will come from the minis line.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To: artist@hiddenkingdom.com
Subject: Original Terese Nielsen SW's Sketches
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 15:50:07 -0800

Happy New Year!

I'm just sending out a quick email to let my hardcore SW's collectors have the first peek at a few of the current sketches that have just become available for private collectors. I wanted to show them to you first before I put them on Ebay or my website. I've been working on an ongoing series of packaging illustrations for the SW's mini's line and almost all of the sketches and finals thus far have been purchased by Lucasfilm. The sketches shown on the link below are however currently available. Please let me know if you're interested in any of them or have any questions.

Best wishes!

Terese Nielsen

http://homepage.mac.com/i.terese/PhotoAlbum18.html

I will upload the photos later. It is impossible to say what sets these will be in, but one can do some serious guessing. :D

Post subject: Re: UPCOMING ARTIST PROOFS OF MINIS
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:15 am 
General
General

They were purchased, but not necessarily used. I believe it may be the same artist that has done the LF box art as they all have that halo behind them.
Boba52 wrote:
So, I have this buddy who goes to all the CIV's and stuff like this and is a massive collector of all things Star Wars on the Steve Sansweet level as compared to I who is of the Target-Walmart collector ilk. He sends me this email as follows-

Hey, I thought you might be interested in seeing this. I bought an artist proof print from her after CIV. So, I guess that I am one of her hard core collectors. Anyways, it would seem as if these are drawings done for the minis line. So, maybe it is an insight as to what will come from the minis line.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To: artist@hiddenkingdom.com
Subject: Original Terese Nielsen SW's Sketches
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 15:50:07 -0800

Happy New Year!

I'm just sending out a quick email to let my hardcore SW's collectors have the first peek at a few of the current sketches that have just become available for private collectors. I wanted to show them to you first before I put them on Ebay or my website. I've been working on an ongoing series of packaging illustrations for the SW's mini's line and almost all of the sketches and finals thus far have been purchased by Lucasfilm. The sketches shown on the link below are however currently available. Please let me know if you're interested in any of them or have any questions.

Best wishes!

Terese Nielsen

http://homepage.mac.com/i.terese/PhotoAlbum18.html

I will upload the photos later. It is impossible to say what sets these will be in, but one can do some serious guessing. :D

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:29 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

So, it says for upcoming packaging. So, it could happen or not. We'll see. :boba:

Star Wars Sketches for Upcoming SW's Mini's Packaging

This is the first time that any of the sketches I've created for this project have become available for private collectors. They're all drawn with graphite on parchment paper and are 10x17" in size.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:39 am 
Warmaster
Warmaster

Whether they make it as minis, box art or not they are stil some very nice sketches. Cheers for sharing.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:09 am 
Warmaster
Warmaster

Ugavine wrote:
Whether they make it as minis, box art or not they are stil some very nice sketches. Cheers for sharing.

Lately box art has been based closely on what we're going to get in terms of minis, so I Wouldn't be surprised if those are infact box arts for the upcoming sets. perhaps KotOR for the first 2-3?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:15 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Very cool! It's interesting to note that the Obi-Wan (which is Padawan Obi!) and the Leia as Boushh both look extremely a lot like the packaging for the Legacy of the Force set, with the circular planet/moon behind them. Several of the others do as well, but those two are almost spot on similar. Whether these all make it into minis or not, it is some spectacular artwork. Thanks for sharing it with us!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:46 am 
Customizer Extrodinaire
Customizer Extrodinaire

that Mandalore sketch is sweet, so are all the others! thanks for putting them up!

"Genius is 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration."
-Thomas Edison

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:27 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

It does match up with some of the rumors we heard about a new Thrawn and Malak. I would LOVE to see an Emperor on Throne mini sculpt. I don't care if it had normal movement or restricted movement, that would be one kick ass sculpt.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:33 am 
General
General

LoboStele wrote:
Very cool! It's interesting to note that the Obi-Wan (which is Padawan Obi!) and the Leia as Boushh both look extremely a lot like the packaging for the Legacy of the Force set, with the circular planet/moon behind them. Several of the others do as well, but those two are almost spot on similar. Whether these all make it into minis or not, it is some spectacular artwork. Thanks for sharing it with us!

They all have circular designs, some of which are just more abstract (like Emp's); I have a feeling that these are all from LotF, as they always get the same artist to do each set and they all have the circular element (which is a GREAT addition, artistically, IMHO); at least I think they're all from the same set if not LF.

Also, Palps in his throne is the iconic image of him and as silly as it may seem initially, I do really hope they make a seated mini of him (and no: he shouldn't have immobile or emplacement :? ).

[edit] SB beat me too it. Notice that Thrawn lacks his One-Eyed, Spitting Shoulder Lizard.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:51 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

If they are from LOTF then Obi Padawan would fit in with the Gungan, if Episode 1 theme ends up like the Hoth theme from TFU. If they make the Emp Throne it would be cool if they stuck a lightsaber on the arm rest and if it had speed 2 or 4, I mean he still has be as fast as Jabba even if the chair is bolted down, right.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:05 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

I doubt it is all from Legacy. I would imagine Malak is from KOTOR. Obi I would guess is from Clone Wars. Still if these are all figures, I will be happy. Leia as Boussh is a piece we should've gotten over the actual Boussh.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:46 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Yeah, with the KOTOR and Clone Wars sets coming up, I really doubt that Malak and Padawan Obi will be in this set. I still think it makes sense for LOTF to be paired with ROTJ, then KOTOR paired with TPM, and then the Clone Wars set paired with AOTC. It fits too perfectly. On top of the fact that the Gungan was the one piece that Gamer Zero didn't give us the stats for. If the Clone Wars set is due out in late '08 (probably Oct/Nov timeframe, about the same as TFU, I would guess) then they should have almost all the work done on that set by now. So it makes sense that they'd have finished pieces of the Gungan to be able to display for us. Padawan Obi would fit in either the CW or the KOTOR sets I think, though the sketch above looks more like Padawan Obi from the books leading up to TPM. The sketch looks younger than what he looks like in TPM.

The Emperor in Throne Room Chair would be perfect for the LOTF set as well, as it's an image from ROTJ. The Thrawn pictured there could also be a pre-Grand Admiral Thrawn. Being black-and-white drawing, it's hard to tell if it's still a white uniform, but it could be a Fleet Admiral Thrawn, or some other lower ranked version of him (perhaps, his position during the TIE Fighter game?) or it could even be a Fringe version of Thrawn based on when he was a Chiss Commander during the Outbound Flight incident.

I think it would be really neat if all the box and card art for the 2008 sets had similar features, like the circular background thing. I really dig that styling.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:30 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sithborg wrote:
Leia as Boussh is a piece we should've gotten over the actual Boussh.

Maybe she will have some synergy with Hansickle so he stops being a worthless VR.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:37 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Mandalore and Obi padawan look amazing! I really care about LotF the most this year, but I think Clone Wars will also be a great set.

Leia......it should have been that way in the bounty hunters set :)

Archives of the Gamers Jedi
is designed to be your official source for in-game rules questions!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:52 pm 
General
General

Too bad Talon and (maybe) Luke have already shown us that they'd rather have weird, clumsy poses over the cool, dramatic ones that this artist is showing on the box art :roll:

Either way: who knows how many pieces of artwork WotC buys for any given set and how much is discarded. For all I know they comission art before they've confirmed the setlist. I'm only guessing here. Two things to remember are: 1) the episode sub-theme is still only a theory, and 2) set themes are not set in stone; Revan in FU, Aurra in AE, etc, etc.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:13 pm 
General
General

I have a feeling we'll be getting NONE of those figures in LotF. My reasoning as follows:

- there are 7 pictures there, but only 6 characters (doubles of the Emperor). Just enough for the KotOR and Clone Wars sets (I would further go on to suppose that Malak, Mandalore and Thrawn are for KotOR, and the Emperor, Obi Wan and Leia for Clone Wars based on their order of appearance. Bit of a leap, but it makes sense to me as Malak and Mandalore are almost certainly KotOR, and are in the top row making a Thrawn sandwich)

- I doubt Lucasfilm would have paid for art they're not going to use. I don't think they come up with a list of potentials for the box art, pay an artist to draw them, and then decide which is the prettiest. Even if that's how they operate, I wouldn't expect the artist to be paid for all the art created (only the ones that get used... in this case, she said "almost all" were purchased. I guess that "almost" was the duplicate Emperor picture). The set-list was probably not fully confirmed at that time, but they would have a good idea of some of the key minis that will be in the set (and will appear on box-art).

If these really are the booster arts for the KotOR and Clone Wars set... 2008 is looking to be the BEST YEAR FOR SWM EVER!!! It does sound crazy to be this excited about Emperor On Chair... but there you are :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:31 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Making any inferences based on the order of the photographs is silly, IMO. That's just however they got loaded onto the site here, or onto the artists site. It probably has little to no correlation to the actual order of the pieces in relation to the miniatures set. I 100% agree that Mandalore and Malak fit better in the KOTOR set, but then again, we already know we're getting at least one Mando piece in the LOTF set, so who knows. Like Menoth's Fire pointed out, just because it makes sense in a certain set, doesn't mean that's where it will happen. Would've made more sense for Revan to be in the KOTOR set as well, but he ended up in the TFU set.

As long as those all get made into minis, I don't really care which set they come in. :D

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:06 pm 
General
General

LoboStele wrote:
Making any inferences based on the order of the photographs is silly, IMO. That's just however they got loaded onto the site here, or onto the artists site. It probably has little to no correlation to the actual order of the pieces in relation to the miniatures set.

I agree it's a stretch, but she has numbered those images in that order, and it wouldn't surprise me that the reason for that (intentional or not) is that they came from 2 different work lots (obviously 3 from 1, 4 from the other, regardless of order). They're not in alphabetical order, so I do think it's a possibility.

But like you said, they're all cool, I don't care which we get first either :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:58 pm 
Jedi Council
Jedi Council

Wedge772 wrote:
It does sound crazy to be this excited about Emperor On Chair... but there you are :)

A new Emperor was one of my big wants after rewatching ROTJ a couple days ago just to look for new mini ideas. I already had C-3PO, Ewok Diety sitting on his wooden throne on a large base as one of my big LOTF potential pieces. A new version of Palps with him sitting in his throne would be nice too. Plus there's not that much else they can do with him pose-wise for an new version.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:39 am 
Sith Infiltrator
Sith Infiltrator

Yeah, Palps on Throne would be really cool. So many scenarios too :saber:
:lsfight: