logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Re: Loda vs. Loda
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:05 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

I don't really play swarm squads, and I have a spot in my "good minis" box just for dice, so I always have a ton on hand.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:16 pm 
Jedi Council
Jedi Council

LoboStele wrote:
Menoth's Fire wrote:
Picking up a marker, removing the cap, writing on a card, then replacing the cap and setting the marker down always works well as a visual cue to me. Turning a die: not so much.

LOL, I was thinking the exact same thing. It's a pain for me to carry around a slew of dice with me all the time, especially if you play a squad that has swarms of characters with more than 10 HP, like Aqualish Assassins or something. Then you have to have 10 tiny dice just to mark a '2' on every character. Much prefer to have two markers, and my thumb to wipe them off.

I have a dice cube that I've had for who knows how long. 36 D6 all neatly contained in a small box that hardly takes up any room in my squad box. If i ever get to play WaS I'm already set. I can make 2 Iowa attacks at once.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:46 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

I use red glass pebbles for Sith force and blue for Light side. I still use the markers from the starters for HP though. Only with the CCG do I use D20s for force. That might change if we keep getting strong force renewal figs :palps:

Archives of the Gamers Jedi
is designed to be your official source for in-game rules questions!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:44 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

i still use the card tokens from the 1st sets.

10, 20's, 50's and 100s for HP

1, 2, 4 and 5 force tokens.

All kept separate in little listerine strip containers.

Never had a problem with them.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:14 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

Menoth's Fire wrote:
Picking up a marker, removing the cap, writing on a card, then replacing the cap and setting the marker down always works well as a visual cue to me. Turning a die: not so much.

Smartypants!

The "visual cue" sort of got mixed into the wrong idea. I know you wrote something, but who knows what you wrote. There's always someone who forgets whether they're writing the total damage or the remaining HP and accidentally subtracts damage instead of adding it, or applies 20 damage instead of 30 when I had Cunning Attack and specifically said 30 damage and so on. The fact that I can't see what you're writing means discrepancies, even accidental (we'll ignore cheats) don't get caught instantly like when you add 2 beads instead of 3, or similar.

I saw Aaron's method at Gencon. It works. But it's hard to see across the table, and all that changing with a thumb-wipe on a character like Luke & Yoda specifically is likely going to be a mess.

Hate was perhaps a bit of a strong word. It's much more pleasant to play someone using a method that's easily visible from across the table both for the ability to catch mistakes immediately, and to get an idea of the opposing pieces status at a glance.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:40 pm 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

Quote:
I have a dice cube that I've had for who knows how long. 36 D6 all neatly contained in a small box that hardly takes up any room in my squad box. If i ever get to play WaS I'm already set. I can make 2 Iowa attacks at once.

Me and my friends use the same thing

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:48 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

NickName wrote:
I saw Aaron's method at Gencon. It works. But it's hard to see across the table, and all that changing with a thumb-wipe on a character like Luke & Yoda specifically is likely going to be a mess.

Definitely have a point. Luckily, you don't have to worry about me cheating (well, at least I hope my reputation is such that no one would suspect that ;) ) and I'm a perfectionist my nature, so there's a pretty slim chance I'd incorrectly wipe off or create new tick marks. :P

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:22 pm 
General
General

I just use the little circular cardboard markers from the starter sets for both damage and Force points. I've accumulated quite a few over the years. To me, actually having the numbers there is less abstract than glass beads (and less likely to obscure the card, because you can just stack them if you have to).

I have them sorted in a little plastic container meant for different types of fishing lures, I think. I also keep my d20s and my LOS tool in there.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:52 pm 
Ugnaught Master!
Ugnaught Master!

Well, glad to know few of you will challenge my self-professed title of "DICE KING!" I like to use dice. It's just what I've always used, and what I prefer. So, anyone have any unwanted dice, I'll take them off of your hands!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:37 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

NickName wrote:
Entertaining when thought of as humor rather than criticism.

Yeah I was just trying to be a comedian. :)

Following the track of the topic, there are of course still the punch-out counters from the various starters and DCI kits. Of course, when you're at 25 Force you may not have enough counters to cover that. (And yes, in one game recently, my Loda reached 25 Force. I've also seen an opponent get him up to 42, but he died that game. Loda, not my opponent.)

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:14 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

Boris wrote:
Following the track of the topic, there are of course still the punch-out counters from the various starters and DCI kits. Of course, when you're at 25 Force you may not have enough counters to cover that.

These are what i still use.

If you got the 3 original starter sets then you'll easily have enough counters to count out that much force.
Each card had a number of 5 force counters. I have more than i'll ever need.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:22 pm 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

Holy cow I would have loved to sit on the sidelines ofr this one, laughing my arse off, and generally not adding anything producitve to the game.

I have enough pieces to play; I am content.

Good Trades with: soggybottomboy2469, allgoodgecko, adliv666
Bad: randy_khoo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:38 pm 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

I use dice for damage and force. For damage I use d10 and for force I use d6s or on renewal characters I use d10s (different color than the damage dice)