logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Gencon Question
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:14 pm 
Sith Infiltrator
Sith Infiltrator

Now I'm getting a job for several reasons. One huge reason is because of Gencon. Now I Live in New Jersey, and I'm looking into taking a train. I'm just wondering Where Gencon is held exactly. Indianapolis, Indiana. But where in there, thats a pretty big city. I'm Also wondering what hotels are near by and good to stay at.

EDIT: What's the date gencon starts?

Post subject: Re: Gencon Question
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:29 pm 
Ugnaught Master!
Ugnaught Master!

Zach, much of your information can be gathered at http://www.gencon.com. Otherwise, many of us can answer your questions. As for where to stay there are many options. The con blocks off rooms at many of the nearby hotels, but they aren't cheap. Dean, Russ, and I paid about $90 for our entire hotel stay, but it helps when your wife is a GM of a Super 8.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:12 pm 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

The Con is downtown Indy at the convention center, right next to the RCA dome where the Colts play. I am not sure where the station is, but it should be easy to get to the convention center.
GenCon should be posting info about how to get to register for housing soon....
If you don't want to pay the huge amount of $ for rooms downtown, think about the airport area and others just outside of downtown....but be aware that parking in Indy can cost you about $12-$20 a day! :saber:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:41 am 
Sith Infiltrator
Sith Infiltrator

I wouldn't rent a car, I'd walk or get a Taxi. So parking isn't a problem.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:59 am 
Ugnaught Master!
Ugnaught Master!

Zack, you know if I'm there, I'd do what I could to help you out for transportation. If I can find your hotel, that is (Just ask SpencJedi!).

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:17 am 
Sith Infiltrator
Sith Infiltrator

I'm going to look into hotels when I get home. Thanks so much for the offer, I'll tell you where I'm staying, you seem to know more about the area then me.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:03 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

dvader831 wrote:
Zack, you know if I'm there, I'd do what I could to help you out for transportation. If I can find your hotel, that is (Just ask SpencJedi!).

LMAO

Yeah Spenc got a hotel a bit far away, plus got lost.

I am not sure where the train station is in Indy. Unlike folks on the east coast, people in the midwest will drive instead of taking the train. Like others have said the convention center is real easy to find, and parking isn't that bad if you are willing to walk a few blocks.

As for places to stay...If you can't stay downtown, the airport would probably be the best. If you look someplace else, make sure it is close to one of the interstates that intersect downtown. That way you just jump on the interstate and go. Spenc was way up on the north side, which will be cheaper, but is a bit more of a drive. I can't give Spenc to hard of a time because he did pick me up one morning on his way down from the north side. Just don't stay on the East side of town. It tends to be a lot rougher area of Indy and the hotels are a little questionable.

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:56 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

belgalin wrote:
The Con is downtown Indy at the convention center, right next to the RCA dome where the Colts play. I am not sure where the station is, but it should be easy to get to the convention center.
GenCon should be posting info about how to get to register for housing soon....
If you don't want to pay the huge amount of $ for rooms downtown, think about the airport area and others just outside of downtown....but be aware that parking in Indy can cost you about $12-$20 a day! :saber:

Some hotels have free parking. Moses knows which one I'm talking about.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:25 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

We stayed up on the Northeast side of town, just outside the belt-way, but that was because my friend (and roommate for the weekend) has a sister who works for that hotel chain, and got us a great rate. Besides, it only took us about 20 minutes to drive to the con center each day, so that wasn't too bad. Would've been a LOT better if we hadn't got lost the first night trying to find the hotel, lol.

There's a parking lot on the backside of the convention center that always had space during the weekend of GenCon, and I think it was $10 or less. Quick 5 minute walk into the center as well from that point.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:21 pm 
Sith Infiltrator
Sith Infiltrator

Yea I have been looking, and personally I'm thinking flying is the way to go. I'm looking to go a day before, and stay a day after. So I have time to adjust, and I get to chill a little as well. I'm getting 50% of the profits off my friend's ebay account because I'm going to be posting them, and the job I'm getting. I think money won't be an issue.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:53 pm 
Big Bad Brad
Big Bad Brad

My friend and I were talking about doing league again this next year. However, as we were discussing this a question arose concerning league. When I registered I was told that any figures I won I was then able to use in my squad. By the end of league that weekend I was fielding a Luke, COF with Aurra Sing Jedi Spirited....no body corrected me...even a judge who had eyes on my COF. However, my friend was told that you could only use what you pulled in your box...any one have a definate on this or if Moses is around......

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:02 pm 
Name Calling Internet Bully
Name Calling Internet Bully

Zack, as far as hotels go, they are really expensive near the convention center, and if you are flying it will be your only choice. However, "there are alternatives to fighting" (to quote Old Ben).

Matt, my Michigan friends and I usually share hotel rooms about 10 minutes away. Since we drive down, we have cars. We can make more definite plans as things get close, but you are welcome to crash with us. Instead of $200 per night, it will run you maybe $100 for the weekend. Plus, you can ride around with us, and so forth. We can chat more on Vassal as things get closer, or in PMs.

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:05 pm 
Sith Infiltrator
Sith Infiltrator

Heh, that'd be so cool. I'll sure hope it works out Bill. Thanks so much for the offer.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:06 pm 
Ugnaught Master!
Ugnaught Master!

The Celestial Warrior wrote:
My friend and I were talking about doing league again this next year. However, as we were discussing this a question arose concerning league. When I registered I was told that any figures I won I was then able to use in my squad. By the end of league that weekend I was fielding a Luke, COF with Aurra Sing Jedi Spirited....no body corrected me...even a judge who had eyes on my COF. However, my friend was told that you could only use what you pulled in your box...any one have a definate on this or if Moses is around......

Your league figures were restricted to those you got in your original two packs, and then any subsequent figures you received as a result of League games played. At the end of the weekend last year, I had built up a sweet little army, many of which have led to my current trade thread in some way or another.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:26 pm 
Big Bad Brad
Big Bad Brad

Good to know I didn;t cheat anyone then...

Even if I were to be restricted to ONLY what I got in the original two packs...league is still the way to go this Gen Con

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:08 am 
The Godfather
The Godfather

The Celestial Warrior wrote:

dvader831 is correct. If you ever have questions about league, don't be afraid to ask the judging team.