logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Re: Introducing People To Minis...
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:04 pm 
Jedi Council
Jedi Council

I don't think i've started any one on playing, but one night went I went to a tourny I was there kind of early when a new kid showed up and I helped him out. He had the ROTS starter and a couple boosters worth of minis. I gave him advice on which boosters to start with for the best chance of getting decent pieces for his favored factions, built him a squad for the night and gave him some general advice.

The owner of the store also skips the tourny fee for anybody who is playing there for the first time. Its only $2 to play, but its a nice gesture for somebody who might not be too sure about the game.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:45 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

LESHIPPY wrote:
My buddy and I have taught several people.

We like to do a large, 6 to 8 players, dynamic dou game. This give newbs only two pieces to worry about. i have used this for different age groups and it works well.

With younger players I have had pre made 100 point squads that have one commander effect, and maybe one force user. After playing these 4 or 5 pre built squads. I let them try to build there own.

This sounds like a great time; I'd love to do this!

Archives of the Gamers Jedi
is designed to be your official source for in-game rules questions!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:48 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

Back when we only had Rebel Storm to pick from, I tried to get my cousin into the game. My teaching of the game was a far cry from what it is now. I really overcomplicated things for him and he was never able to get on board on that initial attempt.

He's having eye surgery next week though, and won't be able to do any kind of physical activity other than just sit there for the next little while after that. I figure that's a good a time as any to try to redeem the mistakes of the past. :twisted:

I'm definitely going to go with something easy to start off with, like a Jedi Knight and Clone Troopers or something like that...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:23 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

punxnbutter wrote:
LESHIPPY wrote:
My buddy and I have taught several people.

We like to do a large, 6 to 8 players, dynamic dou game. This give newbs only two pieces to worry about. i have used this for different age groups and it works well.

With younger players I have had pre made 100 point squads that have one commander effect, and maybe one force user. After playing these 4 or 5 pre built squads. I let them try to build there own.

This sounds like a great time; I'd love to do this!

I have ran the big Dynamic Dou several times to teach people the basics, how movement, cover, LOS, and Force Points work. I use the Narshadda map and each player rolls and the highest rool pick which roon he/she wants to start in. We started playing this as a wrap up for the night during our weekly game at the LGS and I figured it would work to teach people. Having the Dynamic Dou teams pre built also helps things move along.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:35 pm 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

I love to teach people to play, and have prolly introduced 20-30 people to the game. I have a "go" bag; it's a Boba Fett leather back pack that has 10 pre made 150 point armies in it, the RoTS hard map, rule book, dice and counters. (Reminder to self: I could use some more uggies to help balance those armies out.)
I have a "simple" Vader/Trooper squad and a Luke/Yoda squad that I usually start people with. I take basic troopers and use them to walk through the rule book rules, and explain how the cards can then "alter" the basic rules. "See here Vader increases the Troopers defense, so Luke will now need to roll what to hit them?..." After the first game, they can then rummage through the bag and pick a different army if they like, and I will show them what the theme of the army is, and offer some pointers on how to use the squad.
If they are interested in going farther with the game, I let them know about squad building and collecting aspects of the game and suggest they get a starter pack and a couple boosters that deal with the "era" they most like.

I have enough pieces to play; I am content.

Good Trades with: soggybottomboy2469, allgoodgecko, adliv666
Bad: randy_khoo