Mark forums read

Who would you take?
Total votes : 0

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:57 am 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

the Merc - for two reasons.

1 - Disruptive occasionally prompts a player to make a misplay - because s/he is just itching to get that 20 against a beat.

2 - More damage potential, and possibly on different figures.

3 - A LOT more fun to play.

Oops, I guess that was three reasons. Good thing I'm not a mathematician! (I leave that to my wife - she has a Master's Degree in Math from St. Louis U.)

She giveth, and she taketh away.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:05 am 
Warmaster
Warmaster

While (admittedly) I don't have the Merc in hand yet...
I still find the BH version to be a "Better" package

Intuition with Flight is awsome
but
I still think the whole moble and evade is superior

If one were to look at the FU set Alone- with nothing else-
the CE's that support Boba Merc are Superior!

but seeing ALL the other options-
like BH and Yoda
BH AND Kota
BH AND Revan...

on top of all that- Flame thrower and (one should never count on it)- Lest we forget- Disentegration!?

In my mind- the Merc is still second

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:35 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Fool wrote:
The couple points that I agree with:

obviously the big "D" (probably nothing more frustrating than dishing out 20's with Merc)

LOL, like I did last night against DarkLordVerjal in our TFU Vassal tourney game? Rolled two criticals with Boba Merc in the game. Still lost, lol.

Not having evade KILLED me in that game too, as his Han just pounded Boba the whole time.

I do really like Merc though. I pulled off a couple of really nice Intuition moves. I need some more practice with it, but I'm pretty sure he can be just as dangerous as BH in the end. I really like the new one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:49 am 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

I think that ultimately Boba, Merc will be the more dangerous of the two in the hands of a skilled played. I feel that if the planning and calculation are just right with the Merc he's sick; if not he can drop pretty fast.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:59 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

I prefer Merc because he is more powerful, but he is not unbalanced. I wont ever play BH because i dont want to win a game because i disintegrated their full strength beat stick. That and Merc takes a bit more skill to play and can make you a better player. BH just makes you crutch dependent.

Check us out over at Pojo.com

"It appears the Bothans have rooked us again."
-Obi wan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:23 am 
Warmaster
Warmaster

Merc, twelve square mobile attack is just too good, not to mention Cunning.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:40 am 
Sith Infiltrator
Sith Infiltrator

I like Boba Merc, bcause hes not broken and a crutch. He requires skill to be used to full potential(not saying you played boba badly lobo, not at all.). Meanwhile any noob can run Boba BH and do well. Boba BH makes the game no fun when you see him, so Boba Merc FTW!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:58 am 
Warmaster
Warmaster

I picked Merc because the BH version makes me feel dirty when I play it. If I were playing for money I might consider the BH version, but even in normal DCI I would be hesitant to use BH because I think people don't enjoy the games as much if he is on the board. That being said I don't advocate banning BH from personal play, I just choose not to use it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:20 am 
Sith Infiltrator
Sith Infiltrator

If disintigration was removed, and he was moved to 67 for cost, then he'd be fine. But that won't happen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:20 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

I think Boba BH is a much better piece. A lot more synergy and I like the auto damage of FT20.

Having said that, I have yet to use any Fett in a match. Now I play mostly for fun against my daughters so I let them have the power pieces.

Maybe. Just maybe my boys can protect the book. Yeah, and maybe I'm a Chinese jet pilot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:41 am 
Name Calling Internet Bully
Name Calling Internet Bully

Honestly, it depends on the build. Initiative control squad? Boba Merc for me. No movement breakers? Prob Merc as well. San Hill? BH. R2 Jedi squad? BH (unless init control squad).

I rarely used evade on BH (rely on mobile much more), so I can in a sense do the same with Merc early, only a bigger range. I can set up bigger kill shots when needed. And I have no problem using intuition to get where I need to go quickly. I love odd ball options in games, because my opponents rarely can see what's coming (heck often I dont even know).

What I have said all along looks to be true. Until people learn to use intuition correctly, BH is a better choice. Once they get that figured out and build around him a little, Merc will be a better choice. I watched Lobo do some stupid things last night with Boba (no offense :)). Of course he left himself little choice since he brought an MTB with Revan (not sure about that choice myself), so he had to rush a bit.

For example, something Merc should have done against Han in lobo's game. End of round, move 12 to within 12 of Han. Intuition into base for the 60. Revan who moved up behind him, would corrupt to kill Han. Dont know why you chased down the VAR and Yoda first, allowing Han to shoot freely all game.

Door tricks are awesome with intuition. You just have to play it a while to really see the options that are out there. Once you do, I think people will really come around on Merc - at least to accept that he is the equal of BH in many ways. Not to be forgotten, only Melee figs with twin can double attack him - and only those that can catch him as well.

I ran Thrawn/Boba Merc/Storm against PL/Loda/Juno the other day on Vassal. I destroyed him until I rolled a 1 for init which ggot thrawn killed. He was spending 3 force per round just to catch up.

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:14 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

billiv15 wrote:
What I have said all along looks to be true. Until people learn to use intuition correctly, BH is a better choice. Once they get that figured out and build around him a little, Merc will be a better choice. I watched Lobo do some stupid things last night with Boba (no offense :)). Of course he left himself little choice since he brought an MTB with Revan (not sure about that choice myself), so he had to rush a bit.

For example, something Merc should have done against Han in lobo's game. End of round, move 12 to within 12 of Han. Intuition into base for the 60. Revan who moved up behind him, would corrupt to kill Han. Dont know why you chased down the VAR and Yoda first, allowing Han to shoot freely all game.

100% agree with you here Bill. I even said in the TFU Tourney results thread that I realize now that I should've gone after Han first. I was fearing VAR's Force Push and shouldn't have. Also probably should've brought Garindan and Wicket or Garindan and activations instead of the MTB, but I was slightly scared of the opponent bringing an MTB as well.

On top of all that, this was the first time actually playing Fett Merc and the MTB, and the first time playing Revan outside of the release events. So I know I have plenty to learn about both. So....no offense taken. :P

I do think Boba Merc's big power will be in the fact that you can use him to wipe out a character in a single round. Quite a few pieces fall into the category of 60 HP or less, or even in the 80 HP range, Boba plus Garindan, or a second activation (like Revan and some Force Corruption) can finish off quite a few pieces quite quickly.

Last edited by LoboStele on Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:24 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

That and if you play him with Han RH and you are talking a LOT of damage!

Check us out over at Pojo.com

"It appears the Bothans have rooked us again."
-Obi wan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:24 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

I went with the merc for 2 reasons

1) it seems to piss people off less due to missing disentigration as an SA
2) intuition is way better than mobile when played carefully

Archives of the Gamers Jedi
is designed to be your official source for in-game rules questions!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:39 pm 
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina

@DarkLordVergal,
If Disintegration were removed from Boba he would not increase in cost.

That ability is the reason for the cost IMO.

Cost him in the mid to high 50's without Disintegration.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:43 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

i can't answer this question.

Its horses for courses, they play totally differently.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:24 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I think the way you play them are too different to compare, but that said I pick Merc. The intuition with flight is awesome. I played him against a guy using Mace last night and lost almost every initiative roll when it came down to the 2 of them and the look on his face when he realized he would never be able to triple attack was AWESOME :twisted: .

Also, my only problem playing against BH has nothing to do with disintigrate. It is with Evade. For my taste, there is nothing more frustrating than combining fire with everyone just to be able to hit him to have them negate it. I put disintegrate on the same level as betrayal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:39 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

Sithdragon13 wrote:

110 to be exact. :D

I believe we had this discussion a while ago, the two pieces are so different and play so differently that there's no real way to compare the two besides personal preference.

Last edited by adder on Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:51 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

There are too many combos I want to try with Merc over BH. I think he is a much more interesting piece to try and use.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:05 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

adder wrote:
Sithdragon13 wrote:

110 to be exact. :D

I believe we had this discussion a while ago, the two pieces are so different and play so differently that there's no real way to compare the two besides personal preference.

That is what I based my point on almost entirely. They're both great, I just don't feel evil when I field Merc, while I get eye rolls and groans when the locals (they're all new and getting into the game thanks to me, btw) see BH. I've always gotten these reactions/ felt like I had to apologize when I wanted to playtest something that had BH in it. BH should never be banned. I dont want any pieces to be banned from DCI... I think it is a slippery slope to just start banning pieces. It is my opinion that if the designers know they have that to fall back on, that the scrutiny that they give the pieces before they're released will be less. I think they've done a hell of a job keeping the game balanced and fun, and BH doesn't really detract from it.