logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Re: Imperial Assault uniques in future vsets?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:26 am 
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina

obikenobi1 wrote:
Probably could do with another version of Ahsoka down the line since we only have a couple of her from WotC and none from the V-sets.

a REBEL Ahsoka 8-)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:51 am 

RE:IA

I've play only a little, with Trev, and I really enjoyed it.
maybe Timmy just needs to have a game with Trevor :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:59 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Darth_Jim wrote:
I don't play IA...too far down the excess fundage priority list to invest any time or interest in. That being said, if a character in the game does something unique and cool and we can port that ability over into SWM, I say we should. As to making a concerted effort to introduce them, I don't see the need at the present time. Let's keep that list of characters as a resource, though...and keep our minds open to new areas to explore. I'd be...disappointed if we don't. >8 )

Jim you would be mistaken to say you'd be disappointed. :lol:

No but seriously what you said parallels my thoughts better than I could express.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:30 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

I think when people don't know a character, it really doesn't matter where it is from. Books, Comics, Video Games, or another strategy game.

Aves is a perfect example for me. Of the top of my head I have no clue what book, comic, video game or anything that this characters is in. Heck I was on the design team that made it and I can't tell you if it male or female.

I feel that when we have an idea of a Rebel ability, tactic, or CE that we like to use, it would be better to say this "hey this might work well on this IA character" rather than "well it has been a while and I know we already have 10 Leias but let's make one more"

What if the characters in IA ARE in fact in the movie, but just as a passing bit role. Does that change things? Or is the argument going to be "Well they were only standing at the bar as the soccer ball droid rolled by. they still aren't worthy" Because we did an entire subset based on one scene of one movie.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:36 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

LESHIPPY wrote:
I think when people don't know a character, it really doesn't matter where it is from. Books, Comics, Video Games, or another strategy game.

Agreed. For me, I don't know these characters, so they aren't on my list of wants at all. But plenty of characters I don't know get pieces, and that's fine. If they are made, no objections. If they aren't, that's fine too.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:50 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

LESHIPPY wrote:
Aves is a perfect example for me. Of the top of my head I have no clue what book, comic, video game or anything that this characters is in. Heck I was on the design team that made it and I can't tell you if it male or female.

HE first appeared in the original "Thrawn Trilogy" Heir to the Empire by Timothy Zahn.

Aves was a male Human who served as the chief aide and communications officer for the smuggler Talon Karrde. Having served under Karrde since the early days of his organization, he was also Karrde's spokesman for dealings with Han Solo and Rogue Squadron.

That aside - I do get your point Les. In fact, sometimes it's an advantage to do lesser known characters. That way we can implement an important faction need (New SA, CE, FP, etc) and not have people cry that it's not accurate to a character. The Tso'asu is a good example. It was barely mentioned once in 1 book, but it provided a game mechanic in the form of strafe and galloping attack protection that could be brought in through Quorreal, that the Vong desperately needed. Especially at this point in the game, game mechanics are more important than flavor.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:17 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Very true. Mechanics do trump flavor, when you have to make a choice.

And as I said, I'm not against using the IA characters in SWM...I just don't see a need for it. But then, I never saw a need for Lok Durd or any of those other largely unknown characters either. If a future design team wants to make some of the characters from IA, I would have no problem with that.

I do think that it will be more valuable to go after the new movie and tv characters first though. The thing is, we've already got the Rebels TV show covered. And that was a single sub-set. So I think there may be room for the IA guys. Just don't expect a lot of recognition from the non-IA players.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:42 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

thereisnotry wrote:
The thing is, we've already got the Rebels TV show covered. And that was a single sub-set.

I'm sorry, but if a single sub-set is enough to covers these characters then that would be a massive failure for this game going forward. These characters will change throughout the series and we can always have more versions of them and in fact we SHOULD have more versions of them. It's a bit hard right now since there is only 1 season to go off of, but I'd say after a couple more seasons come out, we for sure will have a ton of new representations for these characters to make for minis. WotC made mulitple versions of characters from Star Wars The Clone Wars...i'd say the precedent is set for us to do the same for Rebels. The representations we have thus far do a good job of conveying Season 1 pretty well, but just like characters such as Luke, Han and Leia grew during the course of the movies and EU, so will the Ghost Crew. I love the Rebels TV series so far and it looks like its getting better and better as it goes on, just like how Star Wars The Clone Wars did. Mainstream Star Wars characters deserve the special treatment IMO of getting multiple representations.

Aliit ori'shya tal'din ("Family is more than Blood")
To learn Mandalorian, go to http://www.karentraviss.com/html/mando.htm.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:23 pm 

as far as people not knowing about Star Wars EU characters,there's always wookieeapedia, my go to site to obtain info, or read some EU
material, most of the books are good, but then, I'm a huge Star Wars fan.
I thought we all were.
IA characters are there when we finish the EU characters people want.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:56 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Yes, I can't imagine there ever only being 1 version of Kanan or Ezra, etc. But there's really not much more we can do with them right now.

I think it was Les who (accurately) mentioned that the first chance anyone will have to use the minis from Episode 7 will be in something like 2017. It is a pretty long turnaround, this cycle of TV/Movie-Design/Testing-Release.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:07 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Rebels just released last fall and the pieces were released at GenCon. But that's an important 3 months... with the movie releasing in December it would be really hard to fit them into the GenCon set. Maybe if you held 3 or 4 slots just for the mains and worked hard to get everything else done ahead of time.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:30 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

The Force Awakens minis will be released at GenCon 2016.

"You can't per aspera ad astra unless there's some aspera in front of your astra. And that means sometimes the aspera gets you." - Donald X. Vaccarino

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:38 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Echo wrote:
The Force Awakens minis will be released at GenCon 2016.

Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aliit ori'shya tal'din ("Family is more than Blood")
To learn Mandalorian, go to http://www.karentraviss.com/html/mando.htm.