logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Re: Would you Boba in a squad?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:47 am 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

kezzamachine wrote:
What a calm, reasoned discussion... It feels really weird...

Calm is essential at my age. Seriously, I'm tired of the drama on Bloomilk and I didn't even check there yesterday. I've pretty much gotten what I needed to do what I need to do on the Balance Committee, but I did Bloo Mail a couple of people, telling them I might bolt and to contact me with anything they'd like me to know. My email will notify me if I have a Bloo Mail. The people I contacted are people I've disagreed with in the past but I feel are showing some restraint and an effort to keep things on topic. If I want drama I'll go to my daughter's play practices.

Being organized is for people who are too lazy to look for their stuff.

Lasers make everything better... except Alderaan.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:46 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Boba is mainly an Imperial piece in fringe clothing. Thankfully I think very faction that isn't Imperial or Fringe has better options than The Fett. As it happens Fringe and Imperial have really good squad builds already and boba just pushed them to T1.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:55 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Weeks wrote:
Boba is mainly an Imperial piece in fringe clothing. Thankfully I think very faction that isn't Imperial or Fringe has better options than The Fett. As it happens Fringe and Imperial have really good squad builds already and boba just pushed them to T1.

I guess I'd say that the Imperial and Fringe builds were tier 1 already without Boba. Talon squads with Embo have won a couple regionals, and Thrawn swap with Cad Bane has always been good. Boba, however, is the best option for them now and i like the analogy you made about boba as being a Imperial piece in fringe clothing. Double Swap wouldn't be nearly as good this year if they didn't have a triple accurate shooter to take out commanders hiding behind the lines. If the meta shifts next year towards more tank squads, Boba is most likely going to be replaced by Cad Bane like theHutts said earlier, but right now the meta is full of tech heavy and lots of commanders that sit in the back and don't move, so Boba was the best option to handle those types of squads.

Aliit ori'shya tal'din ("Family is more than Blood")
To learn Mandalorian, go to http://www.karentraviss.com/html/mando.htm.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:00 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

It's a good point that the squads that are best with Boba (Talon Karrde, Double Swap) are also really good without Boba. And as has been said, depending on the meta, they might be better without Boba. I think that if the game shifts to more tanks and less swarms/walls, Cad Bane easily outstrips Boba. A lot of things are balanced around the 120 HP mark, because that's a very common damage ceiling. Cad can hit that ceiling much more easily than Boba can.

"You can't per aspera ad astra unless there's some aspera in front of your astra. And that means sometimes the aspera gets you." - Donald X. Vaccarino

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:39 pm 
Name Calling Internet Bully
Name Calling Internet Bully

Yep, you guys nailed it. The problem isn't Boba being the current best option for two squads. One way of demonstrating that, is what I did, tried him in another top tier build in another faction. And he did as I expected. He wasn't the best choice, far from it in fact.

But do the reverse, replace Boba with Cad, and boom, you have virtually the same squad, and it's just as top tier. I don't even believe the tech heavy meta was the reason most picked Boba. Its the new hotness factor. His advantages over Cad are minor, and he comes with some negatives as well that are also minor. But the choice isn't winning or losing you Gencon. Jim could have won with Cad in the same squad IMO.

Interestingly enough though, had I chosen Cad (I've had a Cad-Buck squad for multiple years that I've never run because I never thought it better than Skybuck), I'd have beaten ATM first round easily. Game would have been over by the start of round 2.

My second game against Greentime would have been easier as well.

The reality is that the ability to shoot three targets simply doesn't come up that often as the best choice. Almost always you are offing one big figure with Boba. I can count on one finger how many times I used the triple on three targets, and it was on door control, after a swap, against Jak, because I could lock him into the rooms on the right side of Rancor pit for the hilarity of it if I did so.

I'd be willing to bet that strategically it rarely came up for anyone else.

And accurate shot? Makes life easier at times, but as I'm probably the most experienced player with swap squads, it's so bloody easy to shoot the right target with swap that I never need accurate. Nice toy, but hardly a necessary advantage. Heck, most of the time I want a close no cover or even adjacent set of shots anyways.

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:27 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

billiv15 wrote:
Jim could have won with Cad in the same squad IMO.

Bill would have had a hard time selling me on this before GenCon, but in retrospect, he is right. I was convinced going in that I'd need that accurate shot. In reality, the need for accurate in games just didn't come up. I would have been better off with Cad, especially against double swap facing Boba. Boba can't kill an unactivated Cad, but Cad with opportunist drops Boba. He also handles jedi. I think fearing that I'd face Republic stealthy commandos like I did at FrostyCon spooked me. Not having Mira in the squad made me think I had to have accurate.

Being organized is for people who are too lazy to look for their stuff.

Lasers make everything better... except Alderaan.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:43 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

I think Weeks was the only ERepCmdos squad. He didn't have super stealth, but a lot of those commando squads do. In which case Accurate doesn't help anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 3:11 am 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

I did find that the extra hit points over Cad were very helpful in a few games - in half of my games at NZ Champs, I limped home with 10-30 hit points left on Boba, although I might have played it more carefully in some games if I'd been playing Cad.

Reading reports from Tim's game, it sounded like when Tim was behind on activations, he'd use Triple to kill activations and catch up the activation disadvantage, so Triple does have his uses.

In my mirror matches, I was able to use accurate to quickly knock out Thrawn in one game, and Mas in another.

IMO Boba has some pretty useful advantages over Cad, and has more power per ounce overall, but I think it's been exaggerated on Bloomilk. The flavour abilities like Bait and Switch and Wrist Cable have generally been overrated - I never needed either.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:18 am 
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina

billiv15 wrote:
I can count on one finger how many times I used the triple on three targets, and it was on door control, after a swap, against Jak, because I could lock him into the rooms on the right side of Rancor pit for the hilarity of it if I did so.

hilarious for who?
You beat me so loud, all I could do was laugh at the ridiculousness of it all
it was a great last game for, eased the tension from the other beat downs I received. :cry:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:59 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

TheHutts wrote:
I did find that the extra hit points over Cad were very helpful in a few games - in half of my games at NZ Champs, I limped home with 10-30 hit points left on Boba, although I might have played it more carefully in some games if I'd been playing Cad.

Reading reports from Tim's game, it sounded like when Tim was behind on activations, he'd use Triple to kill activations and catch up the activation disadvantage, so Triple does have his uses.

In my mirror matches, I was able to use accurate to quickly knock out Thrawn in one game, and Mas in another.

IMO Boba has some pretty useful advantages over Cad, and has more power per ounce overall, but I think it's been exaggerated on Bloomilk. The flavour abilities like Bait and Switch and Wrist Cable have generally been overrated - I never needed either.

Agree with all of this. I have quite a bit of experience with Thrawn swap squads, and right away I knew Boba was an upgrade for the squads I play.

He is clearly not the best in Republic, but I think he still is in Imps.

Not to the point of being broken, but very very good. Even if the discussion is happening Cad vs Boba, that proves how good he is. Cad has always been one of the best in the game.

The extra HP is HUGE. There were several times when I could stand strong and take 80-100 damage to cripple the opponents squad. Not an option with Cad.

I really would have like to face Jim. He would have only out-activated me by 3, and I feel I could make that up through double swap vs single swap and sniping a few pieces. Would have been a heck of a game, regardless. As always - match-ups were huge.

The real issue is not Boba. The governor is the problem. Tech is so much more often the issue than a main attacker. You get away with one attacker in this squad due to the insane amounts of tech, not because the attacker is overpowered. Show me a squad with an insanely overpowered piece but no tech and I'll show you a squad I can beat every time.