logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: GenCon Review and suggestiosn
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:14 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

So now that we have had a week or so off of Gencon. What would you all like to see next year? What did you think worked well this year. What needs fixed for next year?

Post subject: Re: GenCon Review and suggestiosn
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:27 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Crazy suggestion here... a tournament to re-live the best match-ups. No squadbuilding involved. Instead, provide squads for people from previous years' top 8s. No auto-win match-ups but make the squads pretty balanced.

The 2013 top 8 (I think that was the year - when Prof Luke won it) was 8 totally different squads, and when everyone was polled on which squad was actually the best it was totally split. We could just have that top 8 exactly, or pick and choose other match-ups that people liked.

Players would sit down to 2 squads. Roll to "pick". One player picks a squad. The other automatically wins map roll.

3 or 4 swiss rounds would be the tournament. Play all 2013 squads with rotations, or make each round a new set of squads from a different year's top 8.

To make it easier, perhaps drop Reinforcements from every squad and replace with some standard door control so people don't have to make those decisions at the outset. I know that would change a lot of the top 8 squads pretty radically, but it would make it a lot simpler for players who are sitting down with squads they may not have played before.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:42 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Oh - and I thought GenCon went great. The customs sessions sold out very quickly. I thought about adding it later but there was no space. I know Lily_Wan was a big draw, but even if she wasn't doing every session I think you could sell out twice as many slots.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:58 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

I copied my FaceBook post:

-Championship: Went really smoothly. Ben (the TO) was happy to report that we (as a whole group) completed the vast majority of our games before the time limit, which is fantastic.

-I didn't really miss the JediChallenge. I enjoyed it in the past when we had lots of players and a high level competition for the top finisher, but it was far to light last year (a total of 6 people played all the events), which meant that it was a good decision to drop it this year.

-I didn't play in the Epic 500 event this year because it conflicted with our Imperial Assault events. I definitely want to play in the 500 next year, so hopefully it won't conflict with other competitively-minded events.

-The IA events were cool. The prizes were great. But the attendance was disappointing; I won the Sunday event because only 3 people played in it. I hope this event runs again next year, but I also hope that the attendance is better.

-RRTT was fun. Great prizes. It was good to see some new players involved. Seemed to run very smoothly.

-200pt Team Tourney: It was fun (and definitely needs to be back next year!). There was no problem with the pairings, only with the reporting of scores. We could perhaps change the scoring method so that a player gains 1 pt for his Team (not 3,2, or 1) for a win and 0 for a loss...therefore a Team's total score after a single round would be either 3,2,1 or 0, depending on how many of their 3 games they won. This might open the door to stalling tactics a bit more (because it removes the 3/2/1 scoring system). However, given the faster play that people seem to have developed (cf the Championship results), I don't think that would be a problem. There also seems to be an ugly stigma on slow-play and stalling now, which should probably serve to keep that kind of tactics away from this event (which is already a little less competitive and more relaxed than the others, thanks to the presence of Capt Morgan and his relatives).

That's all for now. I want to say a huge THANK YOU to James and Jason and Eric and the rest of the crew who worked so hard to organize these events again!

I hope to be back next year.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:47 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

I love running Assassins...it was a big hit this year, although the numbers were down from last year, and cat girl was nowhere to be seen. I like running mass battles as well, but I'd like a little more time to acquaint myself with the rules.

Being organized is for people who are too lazy to look for their stuff.

Lasers make everything better... except Alderaan.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:35 pm 
Major Tierce
Major Tierce

FlyingArrow wrote:
Oh - and I thought GenCon went great. The customs sessions sold out very quickly. I thought about adding it later but there was no space. I know Lily_Wan was a big draw, but even if she wasn't doing every session I think you could sell out twice as many slots.

We may very well run more sessions next year.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:51 pm 
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina

I think running games that Fantasy flight has a firm handle of is the reason
for poor attendance. As well as SWM's poor attendance because of conflict with all the new SW's game that FF has.
the champ had 22 players, and sealed 19, think.
the rest of the ones I played were a low number of players.

I would love to see just events that pertain to SWM's :DSBoom:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:07 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

I think certain 'dead' games would have a good showing.

Star Wars:Epic Duels, for example. One copy of the game can support an 8-person tournament. I'm pretty sure it could sell out an 8-person tournament. Possibly 2 or 3 sessions.

Decipher's CCG was massively popular, and still lives on with a model similar to our own. People probably would like pulling out their old decks, but Jason made the point that we'd need a judge. If we had one, then I don't know whether it would be better to allow or dis-allow their Vset cards.

WotC's CCG would probably not get any showing at all, though.

Did anyone play the Monopoly/Trivial Pursuit sessions? I thought those were odd additions but if they had players, great.

As a side note, I just learned that WBC (World Boardgame Championships - convention in Lancaster, PA) had a Star Wars Minis tournament. If I had known I probably would have made the trip over for a day to play in it. They provided the squads for players - all WotC pieces. They apparently don't know about bloomilk or swmgamers or they probably would have advertised it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:54 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

FlyingArrow wrote:
Decipher's CCG was massively popular

"Now that's a name I've not heard in a long time....a long time." :obi:

That'd be a great idea to have that game in the spot light again! I still have my decks at home and wish more people in my area played it cause I thought it was a great card game when Decipher was making it. Would have really liked to see what would have happened with the game had Lucas not sold the rights to WotC.

Aliit ori'shya tal'din ("Family is more than Blood")
To learn Mandalorian, go to http://www.karentraviss.com/html/mando.htm.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:47 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

I think Imperial Assault will be a lot bigger next year as there will be a helluva lot more things to play with as opposed to the same 4ish builds.

I think we should consider a 2nd sealed event maybe one of a previous booster and one of the 2016 release as well as the pure 2016 event.

I do think running up against Fantasy Flight will be the hardest thing, but we seemed to do reasonably well this year.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:21 pm 
Major Tierce
Major Tierce

RaginRancor wrote:
I think running games that Fantasy flight has a firm handle of is the reason
for poor attendance. As well as SWM's poor attendance because of conflict with all the new SW's game that FF has.
the champ had 22 players, and sealed 19, think.
the rest of the ones I played were a low number of players.

I would love to see just events that pertain to SWM's :DSBoom:

First point: FFG only runs championships for their events. They don't offer any other ways to play. We actually had the most people show up for our Imp Assault tourney that was at the exact same time as their champs because those people specifically wanted to avoid the champs. That being said, there wasn't as much demand to play imperial assault as we thought.

2nd part. We would love to run more SWM events. Unfortunately, we haven't had the attendance in the past (or even this year) to run more than a handful of other events. I believe most of our other events were 5-7 players that were actually SWM events.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:23 pm 
Major Tierce
Major Tierce

spryguy1981 wrote:
I think Imperial Assault will be a lot bigger next year as there will be a helluva lot more things to play with as opposed to the same 4ish builds.

I think we should consider a 2nd sealed event maybe one of a previous booster and one of the 2016 release as well as the pure 2016 event.

I do think running up against Fantasy Flight will be the hardest thing, but we seemed to do reasonably well this year.

2nd sealed would be tought. Customizers are already being asked to do a lot of stuff for very little thanks. Plus, the ticket is pricy and not sure how many would play in a second event. As far as WOTC boosters, cost is an issue as boosters are fairly expensive out there and the cost to run a sealed would be pretty expensive.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:26 pm 
Major Tierce
Major Tierce

FlyingArrow wrote:
I think certain 'dead' games would have a good showing.

Star Wars:Epic Duels, for example. One copy of the game can support an 8-person tournament. I'm pretty sure it could sell out an 8-person tournament. Possibly 2 or 3 sessions.

Decipher's CCG was massively popular, and still lives on with a model similar to our own. People probably would like pulling out their old decks, but Jason made the point that we'd need a judge. If we had one, then I don't know whether it would be better to allow or dis-allow their Vset cards.

WotC's CCG would probably not get any showing at all, though.

Did anyone play the Monopoly/Trivial Pursuit sessions? I thought those were odd additions but if they had players, great.

As a side note, I just learned that WBC (World Boardgame Championships - convention in Lancaster, PA) had a Star Wars Minis tournament. If I had known I probably would have made the trip over for a day to play in it. They provided the squads for players - all WotC pieces. They apparently don't know about bloomilk or swmgamers or they probably would have advertised it.

Monopoly and Trivial pursuit both sold out before the convention but had no-shows at the time of the game. Trivial Pursuit did have 5 players (out of the 6) playing when I walked by and we will probably run it again.

It is very likely we will have an event similar to the WBC one at next year's gencon, where you get a premade squad and map and play with that for the tourney. Many people expressed that this would be a fun thing to do and we are looking into the possibility of doing it.

There used to be a group of guys who ran epic duels, didn't see them there this year. Again back to the judge part. If someone wants to step up and run some stuff, talk to James (jew3) and it is very possible that something can be worked out.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:54 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Our friend John used to run Epic Duels tourneys at GenCon on his own. He has tons of custom decks, etc. I'll talk to him, he might like the idea of running it through SWMgamers.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:10 pm 
Major Tierce
Major Tierce

TimmerB123 wrote:
Our friend John used to run Epic Duels tourneys at GenCon on his own. He has tons of custom decks, etc. I'll talk to him, he might like the idea of running it through SWMgamers.

Sounds great Tim.