logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Inside the minds of the designer - Kanan- Book spoilers
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:39 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Please note there are spoilers to the Book that came out last year below. You have been warned.

LESHIPPY Online
Post subject: Re: Mini Set 4. Kanan JarrusPostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:05 am
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

So below is what I have from reading the book and watching as much as I can about the show. I think this guy is basically the main punch of the ghost crew group. In the book he never uses his lightsaber, however in the first episode he wips it out. That is why I made him a shooter but still has lightsaber abilities. I did think about giving him a damage bump against adjacent, but went with force pull three instead if that is what he need to do. Yes Accurate shot and Blaster Barrage is a powerful combo. But he is only hitting for 40 on each target. Also as much evade, shields, super stealth, and claoked that is out there I don't see it as a huge problem. It is also a decent way to deal with swarms.

Mini Set 4. Kanan Jarrus
Rebel
55ish
+11

Unique
Ghost Crew
Twin Attack, Mobile Attack
Crowd Fighting (This character gets +2 Attack for every adjacent character other than his target)
Coordinated Movement (At the end of this character's turn, 1 Ghost Crew ally may immediately move up to 2 squares)
Evade
Lightsaber Duelist (+4 Defense when attacked by an adjacent enemy with a Force rating)
Relay Orders (Each allied commander can count distance from this character as well as from itself for the purpose of commander effects)

Force 3
Renew 1
Blaster Barrage (Force 1, replaces attacks: Can attack every legal target once)
Force Pull 3 (Force 3, replaces turn: range 6; move target Large or smaller enemy adjacent to this character. Make an immediate attack against that enemy at +4 Attack and +10 Damage.)
Lightsaber Reflect (Force 2: When hit by a nonmelee attack, this character takes no damage with a save of 11 and the attacker takes 10 damage, save 11)
-------------------------------------------------------------
LESHIPPY Online
Post subject: Re: Mini Set 4. Kanan JarrusPostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:50 am
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Edit - Forgot to add Coordinated Movement
---------------------------------------------------------
urbanshmi2 Offline
Post subject: Re: Mini Set 4. Kanan JarrusPostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:54 am
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

Just having read the book, my thought for this guy was that he should definitely have Leap (as it's mentioned several times that he can do things physically that should be impossible). Bubble is also a possibility, because he's shown holding off falling objects at least once.

I agree that he should be a shooter with a lightsaber. Really like Crowd Fighting on him, as well.

I don't know, maybe it's different in the series (which takes place a few years after the book), but my feeling was that he was more sort of an intuitive force user--it just kind of came out when he was in sticky situations, and he tried not to think about it much otherwise. But I'm not sure how much more he has embraced his status by the time the series picks up.

I'm not sure I understand the basis for Relay Orders, maybe that's more something for Chopper? I was thinking that this guy, as sort of the hub of the crew, would have some sort of rapport for the rest of Ghost Crew. If we want them all to be played together, that seems the easiest way, and it makes sense to have it on him.

TL;DR--really like some of these ideas, but I question whether he's too much of a force beat for someone who never actually completed his Jedi training.
-----------------------------------------------------

LESHIPPY Online
Post subject: Re: Mini Set 4. Kanan JarrusPostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:31 am
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

One thing I am not sure of is the amount of time that passes between the book and the start of the show. In the show he has no problem embracing that he is a Jedi and using his force powers. This is the biggest difference between the book and the show. Hera also doesn't seem to be as much as a commander (or running things) in the show as she does in the books.

I could see rapport being Kanan, with out much problem.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

urbanshmi2 Offline
Post subject: Re: Mini Set 4. Kanan JarrusPostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:39 am
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

Fair enough. Maybe it's just me, and maybe it'll become clearer as the series goes on. I think Deflect is fine (as that really is sort of an intuitive, defensive thing), and I don't even really have a problem with Blaster Barrage, although it's not something I ever would have thought of for the character. I guess Pull is really more of a surprise to me--but there are lots of ways we can go with his force powers.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
LESHIPPY Online
Post subject: Re: Mini Set 4. Kanan JarrusPostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:51 pm
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

From what I have seen so far he seems pretty good at using a blaster and picks of Stormies right and left. That is why I added the blaster barrage.

As far as pull I would be ok if we lowered it to Pull two or changed it to push two.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

fingersandteeth Offline
Post subject: Re: Mini Set 4. Kanan JarrusPostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:54 am
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

i'm only a 3rd of the way through the book but I agree that he seems reluctant to use the force.

Even in the show premier he whips out his lightsaber when its absolutely necessary. His force abilities all seem defensive (clear use of bubble in the book, extensive use of deflect in the 1st episode) with the exception of leap which he uses defensively but is a neutral force power.

My first impressions is this guy is a shooter that works better up close and uses defensive force abilities to avoid scrapes.

Blaster Barrage fits. It can also double as a sweep so that works with the up close attacks (particularly if he gets lightsaber +10 added).

He might be a candidate for counter push showing that he uses the force in a pinch.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

urbanshmi2 Offline
Post subject: Re: Mini Set 4. Kanan JarrusPostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:50 pm
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

Quote:
fingersandteeth wrote:

My first impressions is this guy is a shooter that works better up close and uses defensive force abilities to avoid scrapes.

Blaster Barrage fits. It can also double as a sweep so that works with the up close attacks (particularly if he gets lightsaber +10 added).

He might be a candidate for counter push showing that he uses the force in a pinch.

This was sort of my impression, as well. Counter push is an interesting thought for him--it fits with the idea of him using the force mainly reactively.

One other thing I thought of for him based on the book was Force Ascetic, but that probably isn't appropriate to the persona on the series.
---------------------------------------------------------

fingersandteeth Offline
Post subject: Re: Mini Set 4. Kanan JarrusPostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:50 pm
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

I'm not sure if ascetic is right, he mentions at one point how its been impossible for him to switch it off, he seems to be always pulling from it but does it discretely.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
urbanshmi2 Offline
Post subject: Re: Mini Set 4. Kanan JarrusPostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:11 am
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

Yeah,I thought that, too. He doesn't really seem to be able to control it. Just throwing the idea out there.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
fingersandteeth Offline
Post subject: Re: Mini Set 4. Kanan JarrusPostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:43 am
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

I think relay orders should likely go on Hera. She seems to be the information agent in the group and pretty much the leader.

from my impressions on the books

Hera stealthy pilot leader chick
Kanan is the useful shooty jedi guy
Zeb is the muscle (shooter/melee)
Chopper droid support
Sabine stealthy rigged detonator explosive chick
Erza wild card force user (like young anakin)

However, this might change significantly with the show
-----------------------------------------------------------------

LESHIPPY Online
Post subject: Re: Mini Set 4. Kanan JarrusPostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:19 am
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Quote:
fingersandteeth wrote:
I think relay orders should likely go on Hera. She seems to be the information agent in the group and pretty much the leader.

from my impressions on the books

Hera stealthy pilot leader chick
Kanan is the useful shooty jedi guy
Zeb is the muscle (shooter/melee)
Chopper droid support
Sabine stealthy rigged detonator explosive chick
Erza wild card force user (like young anakin)

However, this might change significantly with the show

I do think Hera is the main leader that is why I gave her the CE and Kanan Relay orders. There will be alot of shows to look at, but I was taking the relay orders from the first episode when he is telling them stick with the plan right before the gravity is shut down.

Zeb seems to be very much like Chewy minus the fixing stuff. Can shoot, but really stand out when things are up close a personal.
---------------------------------------
LESHIPPY Online
Post subject: Re: Mini Set 4. Kanan JarrusPostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:00 pm
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Should we reflect the training of Ezera at all with this character?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

urbanshmi2 Offline
Post subject: Re: Mini Set 4. Kanan JarrusPostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:01 pm
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

Quote:
LESHIPPY wrote:
Should we reflect the training of Ezera at all with this character?

Yeah, I like that idea. Not in any major way, but that does seem to be an area of focus for the show, so it would be nice to nod to it.
-------------------------------

LESHIPPY Online
Post subject: Re: Mini Set 4. Kanan JarrusPostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:49 pm
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Ezera currently has padawan so he would be able to use Kanan's force points
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
LESHIPPY Online
Post subject: Re: Mini Set 4. Kanan JarrusPostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:56 pm
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Quote:
LESHIPPY wrote:

Mini Set 4. Kanan Jarrus
Rebel
+11

Unique
Ghost Crew
Crowd Fighting (This character gets +2 Attack for every adjacent character other than his target)
Coordinated Movement (At the end of this character's turn, 1 Ghost Crew ally may immediately move up to 2 squares)
Evade
Lightsaber (+10 Damage against adjacent enemies)
Lightsaber Duelist (+4 Defense when attacked by an adjacent enemy with a Force rating)
Relay Orders (Each allied commander can count distance from this character as well as from itself for the purpose of commander effects)

Force 3
Renew 1
Counter Push 2 (Force 2, usable only when this character takes damage: range 6; 20 damage; push back target 2 squares if Huge or smaller)
Lightsaber Reflect (Force 2: When hit by a nonmelee attack, this character takes no damage with a save of 11 and the attacker takes 10 damage, save 11)

Added Lightsaber and counter push. dropped pull. went with 55 points to start with.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TimmerB123 Offline
Post subject: Re: Mini Set 4. Kanan JarrusPostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:17 am
Master of Time and Space
Master of Time and Space

PT
--------------------------
urbanshmi2 Offline
Post subject: Re: Mini Set 4. Kanan JarrusPostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:17 am
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

PT
----------------------------------------
LESHIPPY Online
Post subject: Re: Mini Set 4. Kanan JarrusPostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:17 pm
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

PT ADDED
-------------------------------------------
TimmerB123 Offline
Post subject: Re: Mini Set 4. Kanan JarrusPostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:34 pm
Master of Time and Space
Master of Time and Space

Looking at the whole ghost crew, he actually seems a little high in cost.

How would 51 sound?
----------------------------
fingersandteeth Offline
Post subject: Re: Mini Set 4. Kanan JarrusPostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:11 pm
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
LESHIPPY wrote:

Mini Set 4. Kanan Jarrus
Rebel
+11

Unique
Ghost Crew
Evade
Lightsaber (+10 Damage against adjacent enemies)

Force 2. Force Renewal 1
Counter Push 2 (Force 2, usable only when this character takes damage: range 6; 20 damage; push back target 2 squares if Huge or smaller)

--------------------------------------------------
TimmerB123 Offline
Post subject: Re: Mini Set 4. Kanan JarrusPostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:09 am
Master of Time and Space
Master of Time and Space

PT update at 51
------------------------
LESHIPPY Online
Post subject: Re: Mini Set 4. Kanan JarrusPostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:46 am
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Updated
----------------------

LESHIPPY Online
Post subject: Re: Mini Set 4. Kanan JarrusPostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:59 am
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

This guy has had two playtest. Seems to be where we want him to be.

Only concern was he was costed to high.

I think he is fine at 51.

IMO Done
----------------------------
TimmerB123 Offline
Post subject: Re: Mini Set 4. Kanan JarrusPostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:48 am
Master of Time and Space
Master of Time and Space

Done
-------------------------
fingersandteeth Offline
Post subject: Re: Mini Set 4. Kanan JarrusPostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:57 am
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

Done
----------------
swinefeld Offline
Post subject: Re: Mini Set 4. Kanan Jarrus - QC POSTEDNew postPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:12 am
Master of Time and Space
Master of Time and Space

* QC *

space may be a challenge
Quote:
Quote:
4/9

Kanan Jarrus
Rebel
51 pts

HP 130
DEF 20
ATK +11
DMG 20

Special Abilities
Unique. Ghost Crew
Twin Attack; Mobile Attack; Evade

Coordinated Movement [At the end of this character's turn, 1 Ghost Crew ally may immediately move up to 2 squares]

Crowd Fighting [This character gets +2 Attack for every adjacent character other than his target]

Lightsaber [+10 Damage against adjacent enemies]

Lightsaber Duelist [+4 Defense against adjacent enemies with Force ratings]

Relay Orders [Each allied commander can count distance from this character as well as from itself for the purpose of commander effects]

Force Powers
Force 2. Force Renewal 1

Blaster Barrage [Force 1, replaces attacks: Can attack every legal target once]

Counter Push 2 [Force 2, usable only when this character takes damage: range 6; 20 damage; push back target 2 squares if Huge or smaller]

Lightsaber Reflect [Force 2: When hit by a nonmelee attack, this character takes no damage with a save of 11 and the attacker takes 10 damage; save 11]

-------------------------------------------------------
fingersandteeth Offline
Post subject: Re: Mini Set 4. Kanan Jarrus - QC POSTEDNew postPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:57 am
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

i had to go to the smallest font, then there was a little space to i added some FT

-----------------------------------
swinefeld Offline
Post subject: Re: Mini Set 4. Kanan Jarrus - QC POSTEDNew postPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:06 pm
Master of Time and Space
Master of Time and Space

Nice, man. I wasn't sure it would even fit at min. size, much less with FT.

Check the closing bracket of Lightsaber - seems a bit heavy, but probably nothing.

The name is definitely off-center to the left
--------------------------------------------------------

FlyingArrow Offline
Post subject: Re: Mini Set 4. Kanan Jarrus - PROOFNew postPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:30 pm
Master of Time and Space
Master of Time and Space

Lightsaber's bracket appears to be in the danger zone. Crowdfighting might be, too. Can the whole block of text move slightly left? I know the font can't get any smaller.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
fingersandteeth Offline
Post subject: Re: Mini Set 4. Kanan Jarrus - PROOFNew postPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:17 am
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

I checked the heavy bracket, reformatted the entire text, even re-writing the text/bracket but it still comes out a little heavy. Not sure what that is.

I moved the entire text block left.

Reassessed the name guide and moved the name as a result.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

swinefeld Offline
Post subject: Re: Mini Set 4. Kanan Jarrus - PROOFNew postPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:07 pm
Master of Time and Space
Master of Time and Space

+1

nice work
------------------------------

FlyingArrow Offline
Post subject: Re: Mini Set 4. Kanan Jarrus - PROOFNew postPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:25 pm
Master of Time and Space
Master of Time and Space

+2
------------------------------------------

Markedman247 Offline
Post subject: Re: Mini Set 4. Kanan Jarrus - PROOFNew postPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:00 am
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

+3
----------------------------------------
swinefeld Offline
Post subject: Re: Mini Set 4. Kanan Jarrus - PROOFNew postPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:47 am
Master of Time and Space
Master of Time and Space

: approved :
------------------------------