logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: V-Set 10 thoughts
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:18 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

So tonight on the SHNN I want to spend time discussing V-Set 10 since the PDF is available now and cards will be getting shipped out soon to everyone who wasn't able to pick them up at GenCon. If you don't have your cards, check out the PDF here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/mf06qc07coku5tf/EA.pdf?dl=0

In anticipation of the discussion (and also to just get a thread going about the set), I wanted to hear peoples thoughts. What pieces do you think are going to be awesome, what are going to change the meta, what just looks like fun, what are you looking forward to?

"You can't per aspera ad astra unless there's some aspera in front of your astra. And that means sometimes the aspera gets you." - Donald X. Vaccarino

Post subject: Re: V-Set 10 thoughts
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:45 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Obi-Kin
Yaddle
Saesee Tiin (CS)

That's 155 points, but is a pretty strong combination. Pretty much an unshootable combination in any case. Yaddle and Saesee Tiin have Soresu, Shien, and RDE +4. Plus high defense. Only 9% of non-adjacent shots that hit will do any damage, and that's before any FPRRs.

Edit: I think something along these lines will change the meta. Pure shooter squads will have to include some melee interference and/or direct damage.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:04 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

As a designer it is interesting to see what folks will do with your designs. Some times they don't turn out well. Often times they turn out really well. With that being said, I am looking forward to see what folks do with the following stuff.

Ghost Crew
Garm
New Qui Gon
Upgraded Tank Droid

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:56 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Obi/Kin
Tor Vizsla
Yaddle
Aves
Ghent
Qui Gon
Garm Bel Iblis
Gloom Walker Infiltrator
Lost Tribe Isolationist

I'm probably missing a few, but these are some pieces I thought of that are pretty exciting from a competitive sense and fun to play. Can't wait til regional season next year!

Aliit ori'shya tal'din ("Family is more than Blood")
To learn Mandalorian, go to http://www.karentraviss.com/html/mando.htm.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:08 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Aves has gotten a lot of attention lately but I'm not sure what sort of impact he'll have. The problem is that you're spending 29 points in an all-Fringe squad for a piece with some abilities that MIGHT be good, and might not be, and a pretty weak shooter. His CE is cool but it doesn't mean you won't be outactivated; in fact, you probably still will be. Jam Transmission is cool, but mice/relay orders still work and this just won't heavily impact some squads. It seems to me that when his stuff is working and making a difference he's going to be awesome, but a lot of times his stuff either won't work or won't make a big difference, and 29 points is a lot to invest in that.

Obikin will be very cool and very fun I think. Hopefully he's good enough to have a big impact on the meta.

I think Sylvar is actually very, very solid. Maybe the sleeper of the set. His Attack value is pretty low but he has a lot of potential damage output and some staying power. I think he's a really good tertiary attacker to put in a squad, not to mention his ability to counter swarms some.

"You can't per aspera ad astra unless there's some aspera in front of your astra. And that means sometimes the aspera gets you." - Donald X. Vaccarino

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:24 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

FlyingArrow wrote:
Edit: I think something along these lines will change the meta. Pure shooter squads will have to include some melee interference and/or direct damage.

I think Morrigan Corde will be very popular. She's solid already, this will push her to the forefront.

Stuff I want to mess around with:
Sylvar - Furious Burst 20 is a pretty useful tool for OR.
Obi/Ani - I think at least that they'll force shooter squads to mutate a bit (Morrigan Corde will be huge)
Bria Tharen/Crimson Fury - really good swarm squad. They can get Vander's CE too, so they're fast and hitting hard against adjacents. They can pick up twin easily in Rebels as well.
Luke Red 5 - very good cheap shooter. You might see him with a Tier 2 movement breaker like Dash or Chopper.
Lando - I think there's some potential with 48 point Luke getting access to Evade. Will fit in with Wedge and Han well too.
Aves - I don't know how good he'll be - might depend on what else happens to the meta. At 29 points he's certainly not a silver bullet, but if he gets popular it makes things tough for popular squads like Thrawn and Naboo deathshots.
Mando Pilot/Squadron Leader - pretty solid mid-cost shooters.
Kanan Jarus - beefy shooter with built in evade? Sweet.
Chopper - I'm not sure if he'll be Tier 1 at 20 points, but new movement breaker helps the other Lukes (Hero of Endor, Red 5) to see some play.

Last edited by TheHutts on Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:30 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

TheHutts wrote:
FlyingArrow wrote:

I think Morrigan Corde will be very popular. She's solid already, this will push her to the forefront.

I tend to agree with you. Obikin and Yaddle will probably give Morrigan more playtime. Which is fine.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:44 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Chopper is a piece that I really want to be good but I'm just not sure if he is. I want to play him so I don't have to run Luke RC, but Grappling Hook just isn't often enough. I have played Luke STA a fair amount in the past and always felt like it was just too little movement to do what I need to do. Maybe that combined with Dash could make Luke HoE work, I dunno.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:07 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Did SHNN move? Not seeing the link.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:19 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

FlyingArrow wrote:
Did SHNN move? Not seeing the link.

Nope, same as always. It started a bit late though, maybe check again?

http://www.talkshoe.com/talkshoe/web/ta ... 807&cmd=tc

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:36 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Had a looooong show last night talking about a lot of pieces from set 10. Go give it a listen if you have the time!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:54 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Echo wrote:
TheHutts wrote:
FlyingArrow wrote:

I tend to agree with you. Obikin and Yaddle will probably give Morrigan more playtime. Which is fine.

At least Morrigan only has 70 hp, which is low enough for Obi/Ani to finish her off in one turn, and with Force Leap, this is a lot easier to do. And if Obi/Ani are in cover, they can be kinda hard for Morrigan to hit them, with her attack usually getting to +15 in Talon/Thrawn builds. Obi/Ani would be at a 26 def in cover i do believe, so it comes down to 50/50 anyways.

Great show last night guys! Was really fun to hear talk about the meta with the new peices in Vset 10.

Aliit ori'shya tal'din ("Family is more than Blood")
To learn Mandalorian, go to http://www.karentraviss.com/html/mando.htm.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:27 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Echo wrote:
Had a looooong show last night talking about a lot of pieces from set 10. Go give it a listen if you have the time!

Yeah sorry I had to bail out at the end, but I needed sleep and Vong just aren't my thing.