logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Struggleing with the game.
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:56 pm 
Hand of the Sith
Hand of the Sith

I have really had to have a long look at where the game is today and if I even like the way it is going. I am really considering not playing it for a year after this years Gen Con this saddens me cause I used to love the game but the present meta is just so discouraging and NOT FUN at all. The Chicago regional really turned me off. I really did not like the top two squads and I had 4 Jedi basing wedge (NR) and could not hit him. This game has turned into even more of shooters and wanting to activate last that it has become boring. Please someone talk me down from the ledge because I really want this game to become fun again.

Post subject: Re: Struggleing with the game.
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 11:17 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Hey Lou, I hope you do stay in the game. You are a great player! Jedi still have some tricks up their sleeves to stay viable in todays meta, it just takes a little creativity. My favorite squad that I have ever made and ran is my Republic Cloaked figures squad:

--Cloaked Figures--
43 Jedi Master Jorus C'baoth
39 Quinlan Vos, Double Agent
30 Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi Padawan
29 Aayla Secura, Jedi Knight
23 Foul Moudama
14 Coleman Trebor
9 R2-D2, Astromech Droid
5 Rodian Diplomat
5 Salacious Crumb
3 Ugnaught Demolitionist

(200pts. 10 activations)

Every Jedi gets cloaked, you have 2 movement breakers, it plays fast. It even has a ranged dmg option with everyone getting Force grip 2. I usually cloak everyone first round except for Foul, carry Obi up into gambit with Master Speed and drop him off to collect gambit. I originally made this squad to counter Ysalmiri (jedis get Force Leap) and Daala swarms (Obi with his Jedi Reflexes and Cloaked), and it does the job well. Something I tested it against was the Elite Republic Commando's squad that is popular right now and with everyone getting Brutal Strike...you can kinda guess how that worked out. The synergy is really good, and it is the jedi squad I am most proud of to date. I think you might like the options that Joruus gives to a Republic jedi squad. If i get a chance I will run this squad in a regional this year, but I think you'd enjoy running something like this.

Also, have you tried Adi Gallia with her Shien Style? She is solid vs shooters. I think a squad with Adi & Obi/Ani coming out in V10 could do quite well vs a shooter meta.

Aliit ori'shya tal'din ("Family is more than Blood")
To learn Mandalorian, go to http://www.karentraviss.com/html/mando.htm.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 12:15 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

That's actually a pretty slick squad. Cloaked is a big help for melee pieces against shooters, and it looks like you have a good amount of power to back it up. That should at least be able to compete, and it's all melee!

I think there are definitely competitive melee-focused squads out there, they are just harder to find.

"You can't per aspera ad astra unless there's some aspera in front of your astra. And that means sometimes the aspera gets you." - Donald X. Vaccarino

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 3:59 am 
Hand of the Sith
Hand of the Sith

How does it work against poggel bombs?

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 6:56 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Well, it isn't ideally suited to dealing with Poggle Bombs directly (no disruptive, but IT doES have Salacious to help for one round vs a regular Lancer or a Muun Brokered bomb chain. It can also deal with a poggle squad in the following couple ways:

-Since the squad has 2 movement breakers, you should be able to reach at least some of the big guns the seperatist squads are running. I like the odds against the NZ Gatekeeper squad because Obi can use Use the Force to score an auto crit on his Jedi Reflexes, and everyone does have enough health to survive a couple strafe runs. not saying it won't hurt, but hopefully by the time Durge has strafed all your guys, he has taken 80 dmg from Obi. The sneakily good thing that this squad does is that it has an amazingly good reach when it comes to movement breakers. foul can benefit from any force power in the squad, and that includes Master Speed from Coleman Treebor specifically. You can carry Aayla 16 squares and then she can use force Pull 2 to get someone adjacent to her, setting up an R2 towcable run with quinlan to lightsaber assault the person Aayla pulled and potentially get twin attack on it via Ataru style Mastery, for a total of 120 potential damage.
-with the options to do ranged damage via, Force Grip 2 or 1 (preferably you will use force Grip 1 to save on FP's against the little 10 hp poggle bombs, force Grip 2 can be used against the higher HP droids), you can at least force the opponent to be careful about placing his poggle bombs next to each other.

hope these ideas help Lou! Jedi Master Jorus C'baoth is one of those underused pieces that the V-sets came out with that I think really deserves some playtime. I haven't seen a need to update this squad with peices from the newest sets, but I am always looking at the options that do come out in them to see if something may work better. I think it'd be interesting to see a Jorus squad with Adi Galia. Plenty of good options out there for the Jedi squads. Force Leap and Leaping Assault are becoming my favorite force powers to use, because they let you jump into a Ysalmiri bubble and land next to the 60HP Pelleon or the 80HP talon.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 8:59 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Maybe Obi could be dropped since Daala swarms are less prevalent. Then you put in Lobot and you can bring the Gormak Bomb Disposal dude. Just move up in a phalanx with him in the center and you're immune to Self Destruct.

"You can't per aspera ad astra unless there's some aspera in front of your astra. And that means sometimes the aspera gets you." - Donald X. Vaccarino

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 9:15 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Echo wrote:
Maybe Obi could be dropped since Daala swarms are less prevalent. Then you put in Lobot and you can bring the Gormak Bomb Disposal dude. Just move up in a phalanx with him in the center and you're immune to Self Destruct.

This is a great idea! You could bring in the Gormak if you are facing just poggle bombs, and you could bring in a gormak and a buzz droid if facing against a lancer and poggle bomb squad. It really depends on the local meta. I like what obi gives to the squad, because you get for everyone else in the squad lightsaber assault and Use the Force (great vs high defense tank squads), and Obi acts as a lancer counter. but the gormak is a great piece if you can protect it, cause Klat Assassins are prevalent also. I will be testing this squad vs the NZ gatekeeper squad before I take it to a regional this year, so it will be interesting to see what is the best build to go with in order to counter the current meta. Needless to say, it is a very fun squad and plays quick if you know what your doing. I generally don't love using Force Cloak because it feels like you waste a turn sitting back from the action, but with 2 movement breakers, you will get your pieces into the action quickly enough, and definitely fast enough to get into gambit first round (master speed on Foul, instead of taking force Cloak right away).