logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: What are your favorite squads you've ever made/run?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:22 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Hey everyone, just thought I'd ask people what their favorite squads are of all time? Is there one you made yourself and ran that you just love playing? Is there something someone else made that you just love playing?

To start things off, my top 3 favorite squads that I have made and run are:

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/123181/a-caedus-of-immortality
http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/139414/cloaked-figures
http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/121848/intuitive-strike

My favorite squads others have made and that I have ran would be:

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/126764/false-signals (shmi15 made this one and it is a really fun squad to play!)
http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/133040/galactic-heros (got the idea for this one on SHNN when the hosts were talking about Jedi Master K'Kruhk and mentioned making a squad with these figures in it. Ever since, this has been my go to NR squads that I play in tournaments. My thanks go out to the guys on SHNN for talking about this squad! I've had so much fun playing it over the last 1-1/2 years)
http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/138978/cane-and-able (Dr Daman's Sith squad he made a while back is a really fun one to play. As a fan of Tank squads, this one is definetly one of my favorite to play!)

And one more that is a old WotC squad but that I have fun playing still because it is soo good is the old Skybuck squad with General Skywalker, Yobuck, Commander Ashoka,R2 astromech, Panaka and Dash Rendar, Renegade Smuggler. not sure who made that one first, but just wanted to say it is still of the best squads and I could see it doing quite well still in regionals today. On the SHNN show they were talking about the NZ gatekeeper squad with Durge on speeder, 2 Commando Droid officers + Spotter/Sniper and tons of Poggle Bombs. Their comments the guys on SHHN made on the old WotC squads with yobuck still are really good and I think this one in particular is more relevant to todays meta with the swarms we've been seeing. Yobuck's ability to run 16, do 2 attacks (one from galloping attack, one with his regular attack) with momentum and then rolling cleave and do 2 more attacks really would work against the Sniper/Spotter combo with their 50 HP's.

Aliit ori'shya tal'din ("Family is more than Blood")
To learn Mandalorian, go to http://www.karentraviss.com/html/mando.htm.

Post subject: Re: What are your favorite squads you've ever made/run?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:54 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

I've always loved Mandos. This past Gencon being able to field a Mandalorian squad and feel like I had an edge in every game was awesome. Vindicated/Kelborn FTW!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:20 pm 
Flim
Flim

My two favorite squads I have ever played are Nom Bombs (150) and Mobile Force Push (150). Nom Bombs I built together with JDJersey after Bounty Hunters came out as response to Billiv15 saying Nom Bombs weren't competitive.
I built Mobile Force Push in its final variety after Imperial Entanglements but I had been running it with Leia Sentor for the 2 spaces at the end of the turn since TFU was released. General Reikken just made the squad really good.

"It is the unknown we fear when we look upon death and darkness, nothing more"-- Albus Dumbledore

Proud member of the Triumvirate

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:44 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Favorites I've built:

Smug Commandos- it was probably pretty un-fun to play against, but it played very smoothly. It's hard to describe what I liked about it; maybe it was just because I knew how to play it so well. It just worked for me.

Naboo- The Atlanta regional was where Naboo first broke out, with 2 players playing variants after I had been bringing it for a couple of weeks. This one is definitely a nightmare to play against, but again, it was fun for me to play. Probably because it's forgiving, because of you do make a mistake you'll rarely lose too many pieces and at least they get to shoot as they die.

Kyp and either Kyle JM or Mara Jade, Jedi at 150 points- I came in 2nd place at 2 different regionals with Kyp and Kyle during the GOWK meta. It did ok against GOWK and did fantastic against the rest of the field in general. My favorite thing about these might have been that I was the only one around playing NR at the time (or at least doing well).

Luke's Heroes (Kyle UH, Jan Ors, Luke GH): This was my GenCon 2013 squad, and I also played it at the Atlanta regional that year. I finished 5th at both of those events, and would have made the final 4 if not for bad luck and a dumb mistake in the last game at the Atlanta regional. It's fun to play because it has a lot of threats, which I generally like. One of the main differences between my version and others was including Jagged Fel so Jan is more of a threat.

Favorites I've ran but didn't build:

Solo Charge: A longtime favorite of mine. It has a nice sense of difficulty to play correctly and it can brutally punish opponents who play against it wrong. It has a very defined preferred course of the game (Mara kills big things or multiple things, then Anakin kills or damages everybody else, then Han/Ganner finish of anything is even left), but it's flexible enough to do things differently if you need it to.

OR Satele/Jaq/Carth: Weeks introduced me to this, I thin he was the first to build it during testing. It's the only OR squad I played much of. It has multiple threats as I like and a good combination of threats. Just a solid midrange squad.

"You can't per aspera ad astra unless there's some aspera in front of your astra. And that means sometimes the aspera gets you." - Donald X. Vaccarino

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:19 pm 
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

This is easy for me. 'BAD G.A.S.' My first Caedus squad and how I always envisioned Caedus squads being played. I won the Chicago Regional with it and placed 10th at GC that year, losing only to Deri (in a very tight match) and Gerry (both of whom made the top 8) I also beat Ben (who made the top 8). It's always feels funny when you beat someone who made the top 8 but you don't.

On the less competitive side, My favorite I think would have to be 'Fallen Angel'. Low in activation but just fun to swap in a Rak who then goes savage and on a rampage turning others into Raks. A simple squad that consisted of Reven, Celeste, Sith Wrangler, a Rak... Reven runs up to a good area and swaps in the Rak who then goes to town on the opposing side with overwhelming power.

The squad that I will not count as making the squad cause it is a clear rip off of Tim's Stealth-n-Blue is 'Stealth-n-Gouls'. I really had fun with this squad and it was all because of Wuher. Wuher just made it fun due to the looks my opponents would give me. LOL, You either pay more for droids through reinforcements or you bring in living for me to turn into Raks with Celeste. I had 22 Raks on the map at one time (the most I have ever had and the most I have ever heard anyone having made). I started with no Raks and Celeste turned 1 and then they just went on a killing spree. My opponent was running Clobot who was the last figure to kill, as I was hoping he would roll reserves for me to turn even more Raks.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:45 am 
Queen Mother Honey Badger
Queen Mother Honey Badger

Whatever squad I've played most recently tends to be my favorite, but I really loved Talon's Hat Trick. Fast, aggressive, and with counters to most of the squad types that typically give my play style trouble. The only thing I couldn't really deal with was shooter swarms, which was unfortunately my downfall last year. There probably were (and are) better-rounded Talon squads our there, but this is the one I built, and it's my favorite.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:51 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

Like Jake, I love playing Celeste squads. The one I had the most fun with was one I took to GenCon in 2012 to play in the Mystery Map tournament. It was a Rebel squad called Spec Force Alchemy. Not much firepower, as Celeste is the main focus, but the Spec Force Vanguards would missile, grenade, or mine anyone they could while I threw either Celeste or the Rakghoul into the fray using Commando Luke. I finished 2-2 but managed to beat Daniel using the Spec Force pieces he designed and using Celeste...Bill's design...to turn all of the power pieces in his squad into rakghouls while Bill watched as judge.

Barney and Friends will always be special to me as it was my first top 8 squad at GenCon. It starred Desann in an Imperial swap squad that used direct damage from Desann and the Nightsister Mother as well as Suppressive Fire from Morrigan in a meta that featured a lot of Mace that year.

I made top 8 last year running my Fringe squad called 'Walking Karrde Pets'. That squad utilized a lot of movement breakers with Embo, Morrigan, and the Wookiee Thug, one of my favorite fringe pices. My favorite game was during swiss when I brought in 2 massiffs with Lobot for a grand total of 10 activations and beat Tim's Rebel squad that had 28 with tempo control.

Favorite squad to play against? Easy...Teddy Grahams. The focus in that game wasn't the win as much as it was the challenge to eat the Teddy Grahams as I killed them before the kid did. He won on both counts.

Being organized is for people who are too lazy to look for their stuff.

Lasers make everything better... except Alderaan.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:49 pm 
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Darth_Jim wrote:
Like Jake, I love playing Celeste squads. The one I had the most fun with was one I took to GenCon in 2012 to play in the Mystery Map tournament. It was a Rebel squad called Spec Force Alchemy. Not much firepower, as Celeste is the main focus, but the Spec Force Vanguards would missile, grenade, or mine anyone they could while I threw either Celeste or the Rakghoul into the fray using Commando Luke. I finished 2-2 but managed to beat Daniel using the Spec Force pieces he designed and using Celeste...Bill's design...to turn all of the power pieces in his squad into rakghouls while Bill watched as judge.

Oh man, I forgot all about my Rebel Celeste squad that featured the Chewy "Raged up Wookie" and The Rancor Keeper. Turning Chewy into a Overwhelming Power gun and then I could move him back within 6 of the Keeper so that he won't be Savage anymore and start evading shots. I can't seem to find it on Bloo so it must be before I really started using Bloo for my squads. I should try and rebuild it...

I didn't get to play the kid with the Teddy Grahms but I did see it and I'm sure it was a lot of fun.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:10 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Like Jake and Jim, I love Celeste squads a lot also! Probably my favorite that I have run is my Lady Deathstrikes squad:

--Lady Deathstrikes--
51 Celeste Morne
32 Talon Karrde, Information Broker
31 Morrigan Corde
27 Lobot
26 Mara Jade, Smuggler
25 Rakghoul Warrior
5 Caamasi Noble
3 Mouse Droid

Preferred Reinforcements:
(Lobot) 13 Czerka Scientist
(Lobot) 3 Mouse Droid
(Lobot) 3 Ugnaught Demolitionist

(200pts. 11 activations)

It is just so much fun to turn people into rakghouls! The Rakghoul warrior can do a ton of damage if he gets twin attack and it is all unavoidable. Mara Jade was there for a twin Cunning +20 to do a 80dmg total attack on a cloaked/stealth target. I've just had so much fun playing these lovely ladies over the last 2 years!

Aliit ori'shya tal'din ("Family is more than Blood")
To learn Mandalorian, go to http://www.karentraviss.com/html/mando.htm.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:49 pm 
Intelligence Operative
Intelligence Operative

I love the thrill of playing the dice in reserve teams and as such my two favourite teams are:

The Confederate Coffers
http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/140729/th ... -war-purse

And this one I took to second place in last years Canada Regional
The Republic Pocketbook
http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/141370/th ... 2nd-place-

They can really screw you but if odds are on your side, 75% chance of troops each turn

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:00 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Weeks wrote:
I've always loved Mandos. This past Gencon being able to field a Mandalorian squad and feel like I had an edge in every game was awesome. Vindicated/Kelborn FTW!

You're welcome! :) Actually, this was one of my favorite squads too. I love it when my whole squad can operate as a single unit. The squad was deceptively powerful, especially because of the Mando Tactician's ability to allow you to attack with 3 pieces at the start of a round, which was almost sure to kill an important piece from your opponent's squad.

This Party's Over (Mace/GOWK/Rex/R2). Obviously this one is my favorite, since I won with it. I really, really enjoy tank squads. And jedi. And lightsabers. I like the heavy damage output and the knowledge that I can either ignore or heal most of the damage that comes my way.

Republic Commandos (ERC Boss, Fixer, Scorch, Sev). Similar to my Mando squad, this one works together as a single unit. I loved the video game, and I love the squad.

Wedge's Four Flexible Fingers (http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/18687/wedges-four-flexible-fingers). I like it when a squad has answers for just about anything that comes, and this one did. I created it back in 2008 when KOTOR had just come out. I later worked out a variant which had Leia for super-evades.

My favorite squad that I didn't build:
Skybuck. It's fast, aggressive, and powerful...all things that I like. Oh, and it has lightsabers!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:05 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

I had a blast building squads for Daala/Zygerrians until the errata. My favorite one wasn't the strongest one. This is it:

--Sandtrooper Deep Strike--
27 Admiral Daala
20 Admiral Piett
16 Security Officer Stormtrooper
15 Flim
15 Stormtrooper Commander
14 Imperial Officer
26 Elite Scout Trooper x2
11 Captain Needa
8 Mas Amedda
8 R7 Astromech Droid
16 Sandtrooper x2
24 Zygerrian Slaver x3
5 Raxus Prime Trooper
3 Ugnaught Demolitionist

(200pts. 18 activations)

Using 3 Zygerrians (and Flim), you could move that Sandtrooper 36 squares (maybe it was 34?) and then after that he could charge 12 more. He then attacks for 60 damage, followed by a cannon shot for 50 more.

I spent a lot of time counting out the "Zygerrian ladder" - how to use 3 Zygerrians+Flim to send the Sandtrooper as far as possible in round 1. All for naught.