logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Re: Disney is going to ruin my minis!!!
PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:59 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Weeks wrote:
Disney is going to ruin Star Wars just like they did Marvel. I mean have you seen any of those Marvel movies?.....wait, those movies were all good. Disney isn't going to ruin anything. Sure the EU will probably be changed or not exist but is that really that big of a deal? The EU was always mainly fanfiction anyway.

Eh, Marvel is doing fine ruining their own movies. At the moment, I'm only really interested in Ant-man, and that's because I trust Edgar Wright to make a movie that feels different from the rest.

At the very least, the movie is going to look AMAZING.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:37 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

TimmerB123 wrote:
As much as I love Star Wars, can we really get worse than Jar-Jar and Midicholorians?

What the dankferrik is wrong with midichlorians anyway?

All they function as are conduits to the force (like mitochondra for the force), its not like is explains what the force is.

Never had an issue with that part.

Now, Jar jar, awful love scenes, hamfisted acting and redubs of material that didn't need messing with are another issue.

Disney have shelled out an enormous amount of cash for the largest merchandising franchise in existence.

It only behooves them to make these films as least as good as the Marvel renditions. Anything less is a bad investment on their part.

Personally, i just can't see them dropping the ball.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:07 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

fingersandteeth wrote:
TimmerB123 wrote:
As much as I love Star Wars, can we really get worse than Jar-Jar and Midicholorians?

What the F-Bomb is wrong with midichlorians anyway?

All they function as are conduits to the force (like mitochondra for the force), its not like is explains what the force is.

Spoken like a real life cellular research scientist.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:30 am 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

TimmerB123 wrote:
fingersandteeth wrote:
TimmerB123 wrote:

Deri's a scientist? Holy crap. I thought all this time he was a professional rugby player. I've been afraid of him all of these many years. Heck, no one is afraid of a scientist. Well, unless they're an evil scientist bent on taking over the world.

Being organized is for people who are too lazy to look for their stuff.

Lasers make everything better... except Alderaan.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:34 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Darth_Jim wrote:
TimmerB123 wrote:
fingersandteeth wrote:
TimmerB123 wrote:

Deri's a scientist? Holy crap. I thought all this time he was a professional rugby player. I've been afraid of him all of these many years. Heck, no one is afraid of a scientist. Well, unless they're an evil scientist bent on taking over the world.

Well he also plays rugby, Aussie rules football and is a Golden Gloves boxing champion. So your fear was founded.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:44 pm 
The One True Sith Lord
The One True Sith Lord

Well Echo, I am not an immature fanboy, I am a concerned lifelong fan. I have been there since 1977 when I first saw it. My problem is the last few years with the cartoon series it has become more volume and less quality. It got to feel very comercialized... anything for a buck. That is just what I was left with.

Now maybe Disney can do a terrific job.... but will they? You can point to Marvel and say look at those none of them are failing.... but then you talk to someone like Nate my middle son who is a Marvel freak and comic collector. He has many problems with some of the places they are going and then he likes where other things are going. He still is miffed that there has been zero mention of Hank Pym previously in any of the movies.

Abrams also did not hit a home run with me in the new Star Trek movies.... So while some people are fine with that and think it was great... I was left.... desiring something better for my money. That is really the thing though isnt it? For years Star Wars was always a safe investment of money and time. Now not so much. With me having one son in college and me working fulltime and trying to obtain my masters and then Phd, and finally to top it off going through a rather nasty divorce.... well my time and money are hoping that when I go to see a star wars movie it is still a safe investment. Because the cartoon thing calling itself a star wars movie a few years ago sucked.....

I want less cutesy and more story. I realize they are trying to catch a younger audience but... well that is the difference between the last star wars movie and your example Marvel. A marvel movie still has the story depth without being cutesy. Star wars was not cutesy in 1977... just the fact people were fighting with lasers and flying around in space was enough to keep my attention.... Maybe they should trust their subject a little more. I don't think I am being unfair for expecting that.

Collection: 934/934

SWM DCI Content Manager

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:41 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

I'm... unsure of why you mentioned me in that post, but whatever. I didn't even mention Marvel (although I do agree that those movies are very well done, and I'm a huge Marvel fan and comic reader myself). My point was that even if the new stuff is terrible (and I have yet to see a good reason to assume that it will be, but I'm ever the optimist), it won't "ruin" the old stuff, which seemed to be your premise. All the old stories will still exist.

In what ways exactly will a new continuity "ruin" Heir to the Empire?

Comics are actually a great example of this. The New 52 didn't ruin previous DC stories. You might not like the new continuity, which is a fair complaint, but DC didn't find everyone's copies of All Star Superman and burn them. You can still enjoy the old stuff just fine.

"You can't per aspera ad astra unless there's some aspera in front of your astra. And that means sometimes the aspera gets you." - Donald X. Vaccarino

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:37 pm 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

Let's be honest, the Star Wars films jumped the shark with RotJ and Ewoks. That's when the films got cutesy. Phantom Menace drug it down lower with Jar Jar. Attack of the Clones has downright painful dialogue. That's just a handful of things that were dreadfully wrong with Star Wars.

Throughout those issues in those films there were plenty of redeeming qualities and characters along the way. Enough generally for us fan boys to overlook the issues.

Perhaps many people are so worried about their favorite EU books and characters llosing "canon" status because those were some of the things that helped rectify the mistakes in our own minds. Essentially I will ignore the existence of Jar Jar and enjoy Darth Krayt.

In the end I think it will be fine. Some parts questionable of possibly bad but others fantastic. It's been a balance for like 30 years now. It can't possibly go that badly.

Besides Disney NEEDS this thing to be really good so they can not only recoup their BILLIONS but also turn a profit.

I'm not worried.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:05 pm 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

The biggest problem is that it's very subjective as to what "ruins" star wars and for example what make it no longer a safe investment for one person may make it a safe one for someone else.

For examples just go take a look at the ruined forever page at wookieepedia and see what you agree or disagree with.

As for me personally nothing other than there not being any more Star Wars will ruin it for me.

Things i've said in the past that got dismissed and now are being talked about:
restricting formats by set
Some chosing not to play the game if and when another company picks it up without the current mechanics

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:06 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

I agree with the person who said they're more concerned about JJ Abrams helming the new trilogy than whether Disney tosses aside 25 years or more of written material on the subject of Star Wars. Abrams ruined Star Trek (I realize that I am in the minority on that one) and I have my doubts about his ability to do much better with Star Wars.

Will he do better than Lucas, though? Most likely. I'm at an age that even watching the OT is difficult without laughing at how ridiculous so much of it really is, but I will still go see the new movies just because I'm a nerd and that's what we nerds do. :)

As to the decision to disregard most or possibly all of the EU, I think it's a necessary evil. If they tried to incorporate the EU into the storyline of the new movie, they'd basically have to do movies about some of the books so that the movie fans are scratching their heads wondering what happened, such as why isn't Chewbacca in the film, or how is the Empire still around after all this time? And who the heck are the Yuuzhan Vong?

It's very likely that popular elements like Mara Jade (who doesn't like to look at a hot redhead?) and the Solo twins will be left intact, but stuff like the death of Chewbacca and the ridiculousness of the sun crusher will be forgotten as fan fiction. In the grand scheme of things, it's not that big a deal to me.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:50 pm 
Name Calling Internet Bully
Name Calling Internet Bully

I always try to look at it through the eyes of my son. He's regularly talks about the next Star Wars movie, how old he will be when it comes out (yes he's pretty good at math and has figured this out) and how cool it will be.

So to me, it can't come soon enough.

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29