logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: I am Boba the Fett
PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:46 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

So there has not been much chatter over here for a while. I have been out of the loop since GenCon. I figure this subject should spur at least an interesting discussion.

If the v-set teams were to ever design another Boba Fett piece, what would you the community like to see. A powerful shooter? A strong Commander? Movement breaker? What?

I am not looking for stat blocks just discussion. As a designer on set 4, scum and villany, an adult Boba Fett piece was discussed but after much discussion it was tabled for another team to pick up. I am not saying a team will or won't. I am just curious what you all are thinking.

Keep in mind that I have not went through the custom threads looking for any info. No back to my life as a graphics guy.

Post subject: Re: I am Boba the Fett
PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:38 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

LESHIPPY wrote:
So there has not been much chatter over here for a while. I have been out of the loop since GenCon. I figure this subject should spur at least an interesting discussion.

If the v-set teams were to ever design another Boba Fett piece, what would you the community like to see. A powerful shooter? A strong Commander? Movement breaker? What?

I am not looking for stat blocks just discussion. As a designer on set 4, scum and villany, an adult Boba Fett piece was discussed but after much discussion it was tabled for another team to pick up. I am not saying a team will or won't. I am just curious what you all are thinking.

Keep in mind that I have not went through the custom threads looking for any info. No back to my life as a graphics guy.

I'd like there to be another piece like Boba Fett, Mercenary. He's a good shooter, has a movement breaker and accurate shot. He's the best Boba Fett out there from a competitive standpoint. I think if we make another Boba Fett, we should have a shooter that can do at least 80 dmg on his own. I think we've got a good commander in Boba, Merc Commander in the Mando's (who can get to 80 dmg with Mandalore the Resurector), so I'm not sure we need a Fringe Boba with a commander effect. When Boba was not with the Mandalorians he always seemed to work by himself and take orders from those who hired him, so a CE wouldn't make sense for him.

Aliit ori'shya tal'din ("Family is more than Blood")
To learn Mandalorian, go to http://www.karentraviss.com/html/mando.htm.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:06 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

thanks for your input

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:32 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

I'm pretty much on the same page as mando; it'd be good to see a Fringe shooter Boba. Most of his best options are in Mandalorians at the moment, which all well and good, but it feels from canon that he should be a competitive option in Fringe as well. Some sort of mid-cost Accurate Shooter would be great.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:06 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

TheHutts wrote:
I'm pretty much on the same page as mando; it'd be good to see a Fringe shooter Boba. Most of his best options are in Mandalorians at the moment, which all well and good, but it feels from canon that he should be a competitive option in Fringe as well. Some sort of mid-cost Accurate Shooter would be great.

Yeah, i think somewhere in the range of 45-55pts for a good fringe Boba Fett would be good. If one could be made that still makes the other ones playable (and keep Mercenary competitive), that'd be great!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:55 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

I think if we had another Boba Fett with GMA that would be a great thing as far as being somewhat of a movement breaker. Maybe if we had a Boba that was fringe and had Opportunist (or maybe Deceptive/Advantageous Attack), Accurate Shot and GMA it would feel unique from the other Boba's and give a lot more options to factions without an access to the Opportunist CE. Boba Mercenary would still be good so I think he'd still see play. I think the thing we need to see most is Boba as a powerful shooter kinda like how Boba Merc is.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:00 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

I was thinking some more today about what would be cool to see on a new Boba Fett and what time period he would represent in the Star Wars Universe. I think it'd be cool to have a Boba Fett that is represented in the The Bounty Hunter Wars books "The Mandalorian Armor", "Slave Ship", and "Hard Merchandise". These books featured Dengar and boba Fett working together (and also detailed how Boba survived the Sarlaac) so I think we could see a new Camraderie SA on Boba for Dengar to make the older versions of Dengar more playable and also Escape Death (which we saw on the Epic Boba) to represent his escape from the Sarlaac.
Dengar was the only other bounty hunter that Boba Fett partnered with after RotJ and he did so for 5 years (he was even Dengars best man at his wedding). I think it'd be neat to see a representation of this time period. Maybe the Camraderie could give Dengar the SA Traps, since they both worked together to lay a trap for Jodo Kast.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:47 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

interesting thought with Dengar

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:04 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

obikenobi1 wrote:
also Escape Death (which we saw on the Epic Boba) to represent his escape from the Sarlaac.

You had me until this.

Epic abilities are often really problematic in regular games. They are epic for a reason. In Vset 7 we have tried a few of the seemingly less extreme epic abilities on pieces, and still they are often a bit much and had to be removed.

Escape Death is probably the single most over-the-top ability . . . Even for epics. It would be awful in standard 200 pt games.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:24 am 
Big Bad Brad
Big Bad Brad

TimmerB123 wrote:

Escape Death is probably the single most over-the-top ability . . . Even for epics.

Hyperbole much? Though, I agree it's not a needed ability below Epic, give them Avoid Defeat as it is Escape Death with an extra save.

I'd rather not see Mercenary replaced, but an early-era (adult) Boba wouldn't be too bad; an updated Enforcer-type, if you will.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:15 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

As a side note, there are a few things on Epic Boba that can't make it into the normal game.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:45 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Yeah, I can see the problems with Escape Death being on a piece in a regular 200pt game. If you gave Boba a force point he'd be able to reroll that and it would be near impossible to take him down. I just thought that we could have an ability on the epic be on a regular piece, just like how the newest Sidious has Phantom Menace similar to the Epic Sidious. Avoid Defeat is the way to go so as to not make the piece broken, but at the same time keep him flavorful to when he escaped the Sarlaac.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:41 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Fringe shooter. Follower. 50-70pts. He's Boba Fett. He should be the #1 attacker in almost any squad where he is used.

Something that makes him tier 1 but is different enough from other Bobas that the others are still playable.

No Disintegration.
No Intuition.
No Cunning.
No commander effect.

No melee defense except possibly Beskar'gam. No Flight so that Melee is his weakness. (And also so that his other stats can be stronger since he doesn't have Flight.) Twin shooter with 3 different 10dmg boosts so he can easily be an 80dmg shooter, and possibly 100. (For example, Assassin, Opportunist, Blast Cannon... but it could be anything really). Up to 120dmg with another +10 from a commander. He would be really scary with Extra Attack, but he wouldn't need to have GMA/Backlash/Ambush since he's a Twin attacker.

(Exile+Trandoshan Hunt Master could make him a monster, but that's almost a whole squad right there.)

Something to attack swarms, but not wipe them out completely like Furious Assault. Something like...

Concussion Grenade: replaces attacks; choose a square within 6 squares and within line of sight of this character. Characters within 3 squares of the chosen square take 10 damage.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:48 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

New Boba

Boba Fett, Gun for Hire
Fringe
Cost 57-61?

SA
Unique
Flight
Bounty Hunter +4
Accurate Shot
Double Attack
GMA
Overload
Missile 20
Flamethrower 20
Assassin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:24 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

FlyingArrow wrote:
Twin shooter with 3 different 10dmg boosts so he can easily be an 80dmg shooter, and possibly 100. (For example, Assassin, Opportunist, Blast Cannon... but it could be anything really).

I kind of mentioned most of these above, but I thought I'd go ahead and throw it all together into a sample stat block.

Boba Fett with Interesting Nickname
Cost: 70
HP: 130
Def: 19
Atk: 12
Dmg: 20

Special Abilities:
Unique
Twin Attack
Accurate Shot
Assassin (+4 Attack, +10 Damage versus Living enemies)
Beskar'gam
Blast Cannon (+10 Damage versus enemies within 6 squares)
Bounty Hunter +6
Concussion Grenades 10 (Replaces attacks: choose any square within 6 squares and within line of sight; 10 damage to each character with 3 squares of the chosen square)
Deceptive (+10 Damage versus activated enemies)
Dive for Cover (After taking damage from a nonadjacent enemy, this character may move up to 3 squares)

(Edit: Forgot Accurate Shot)