logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Best Players/Pilots?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:37 am 
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

There are many different strategies and playstyles in this great game of SWM. Some tactics are easier to helm than others but if your skilled at a specific tactic, then it shows.

Here is a list of tactics used and the players that I would vote as the best in that specific field. If you have more to add to the list then plz do so or if you want to include someone else as the best pilot then please add them.

Single Lancer - as results have shown time and time again I would have to vote either Tim or Grahm as the best single lancer pilot.

Double Lancer - I've never seen anyone aviate this tactic better than Jason K.

Levitate - (Ganner or Luke rc) I would give my vote to Deri all the way.

Swap - the heavily used and none more popular than Thrawn with stealth-n-blue. I would vote Tim or Darth Jim.

Sith Deep Strike - he started with exar and continues today with lord Krayt, my vote goes to Ben.

Accurate Shot - for his work with the Echanis, I vote Jason K.

Yodabuck - I think his results at numerous Gen Cons speaks for itself. I vote Bill.

Naboo - Hands down Gerry, I don't think I need to say more.

Luke GH - at first it seemed as if no one could figure out the best way to run him. Who would have thought pairing him up with Marn was the way to go. Ricky did and won GC with it. So my vote goes to him.

There are still a number of valid strategies that I havnt touched on yet, so plz help me out.

OR - ? Ian or Weeks?

What about Red Squadron?

Post subject: Re: Best Players/Pilots?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:58 am 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

Seeing the impact Caedus made since the release of GH; perhaps an Caedus/SBM is a valid entry as he was in two winning Regional and at least one runner up squads. Its who he's paired with is the tricky bit, as there are at least four distinct types of builds I've seen in action.

Caedus/Malgus
Caedus/Atton/G.A.S.
Caedus/Zannah
Caedus/Atton/Zam

Overall I believe the greatest sustained tournament success has been the Caedus/Atton/G.A.S. build piloted by you Jake.

As Jim said over on Bloo, the Mace/GOWK combo has to be added and IMO its between Trevor and Josh. Both of them had amazing success last year; with the edge to Trevor as he won the Championship with his build.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:58 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

There's no doubt that we have lots of very highly skilled players in our community, each of whom has achieved a degree of success with a given number of squads. But I think there's a difference between having achieved mastery of a certain squad type, and having achieved proficiency with it. For example, I don't think I've mastered the Mace/GOWK squad, though I've obviously learned it really well (as has Josh). IMHO, winning a tournament with a squad doesn't mean you've mastered it...winning multiple big tournaments with a squad says that you might have.

However, year after year, certain players with certain squad builds are always a factor in the meta. I remember this year that people in one of the Regionals (PA I think) were looking for a way to counter the Double Lancer on Muun, since they knew Jason K was coming and that he'd most likely be playing it. Just his presence with that squad was enough to shape the meta; IMHO, that points to mastery of a squad. Until you're at that point, I'd say you're just profiecient (or not) with a squad. I'd place Tim & Graham in the "mastery" category with the Single Lancer too. Outside of those players and squads, I'm not sure who/what else I'd consider for this category.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:21 am 
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I wrote this thread, not to see who was a master at running their squad techniques but to analyze how many different valid techniques their are in the game right now, when I can remember a time of 2 maybe 3 valid strategies.

And on the players end, maybe nobody has "mastered" it but due to repeat success with it, I would rank them as highly skilled. Or as Mace would say, "you are on this list but we do not grant you the rank of Master". Maybe they are masters, maybe not, just more a celebration of all the Valid techniques and the players who helm them the best that I have seen. And Yes Tim and Grahm, I would also grant them the rank of master in Single Lancer and Jason in double lancer.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:55 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

I have mastered Darktroopers!!!!!

Maybe Sith Sorcery.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:09 pm 
Moff Disra
Moff Disra

Old school Nute Gunray. I even won games with that milestone in my squad.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:43 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Engineer wrote:
Old school Nute Gunray. I even won games with that milestone in my squad.

I won a regional with him. ;)