logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Long Time!!!
PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:51 pm 
The One True Sith Lord
The One True Sith Lord

Wow I am just lookin around here taking a look at the sight. I was thinking of all of the memories the site kept alive.

Does anyone just come on here anymore and talk? Anyone check in?

I saw where Doug aka Hothie is the XWing world champ and thought that was kind of funny (not that Doug won but just it was just such a short time ago Wizos actually gave up the 5k tourney for us). Man time flies.

Anyways I was thinking the vset are a super laor of love and everything. But my sons and I have been talking. We have taken a 2 - 3 year break from the game and really are thinking of getting back to playing but we are just going to stick to the Wizo's original cards and play with those rules. It has been so long it will seem fresh.

Anyways I finally downloaded the SW Old Republic and have played a little bit of it. I dont have much time to play but I have gotten a little bit in.

I tell you what I really do miss is the Vassal game play and the RPG via Vassal. It was always a great time and I do miss that a lot.

For those that dont know Chase has graduated from Ok State with his degree in Engineering. Nate is now getting ready to head back to Ok State where he is majoring in Education. He is a member of the Ok State marching band and is hoping to be a teacher and a coach.

Anyways just seeing if anyone just gets on here and chats any longer.

Collection: 934/934

SWM DCI Content Manager

Post subject: Re: Long Time!!!
PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:47 pm 
Moff Disra
Moff Disra

I will be at OK state sometime this fall for 3 days installing a piece of fire testing equipment. I will look your son up.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:23 pm 
The One True Sith Lord
The One True Sith Lord

Chase told me about that and he is thrilled about it. Be sure and look him up. He is really looking forward to it. If you dont get there till late August Nate willbe able to join you two.

SWM DCI Content Manager

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:47 pm 
Hand of the Sith
Hand of the Sith

I am really glad you got on here just to chat Dean and its always nice to hear from you.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:56 pm 
The One True Sith Lord
The One True Sith Lord

Well I just noticed there is not a lot of conversation going on. It seems strange to me because I know for a ton of folks this used to occupy a large block of their day. So have they moved on to other games and their forums? It is hard to communicate for several years at a huge level and then just kind of stop doing so without filling it with something.

For me it has been the pursuit of a Phd. Which I am still doing. I spend almost every waking hour either reading a book that I need to or writing a paper of some sort. I just this week had time to read the Mercy Kill book because I have a little time between summer session and fall semester.

I know Nate and I spend countless hours putting Dylan through a plyometrics workout course for football season. Then we also spend a great amount of time debating Marvel Super Heroes which we both really enjoy. Nate has moved on to collecting comic books. He is getting ready to head back to Ok State for his Sophomore year and I must be honest I am quite depressed about it. I am watching my second son move on with his life and realizing that just like Chase our time has become very limited. I am very impressed with the young man he has become and that makes it even harder.

Anyways I just thought if anyone just likes to communicate with something other than Facebook.

I love reading about Dennis aka Boris the Dwarf. He swore for years he would never have a child and now here 2013 he sits with a baby boy. That is just too awesome.

SWM DCI Content Manager

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:52 pm 
Major Tierce
Major Tierce

Glad to hear that all seems well with you Dean. And wow Nate is getting old.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:13 am 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

Good to hear from you again, Dean. Yeah, conversation on 'Gamers seems a bit light right now. At times I've noticed its been busier, but for the most part most of the activity on here are the design forums. Still, I check the site every day. I still believe that if I need to discuss a serious issue with the game's best players, I should come here.

Being organized is for people who are too lazy to look for their stuff.

Lasers make everything better... except Alderaan.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:47 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Good to see you back again Dean. I miss the days when you and Bill would call in on SHNN. We need some more of those "Im so tired of..." segments. Most of the forum posting about general star wars topics has moved to bloomilk it seems. I still check this site often, but bloomilk is usually where the discussion is. I still prefer this website over bloomilk if I want opinions on my squad builds or have questions about rules, since the best players in the world use this website everyday to design mini's and keep up on checking those forums.

Aliit ori'shya tal'din ("Family is more than Blood")
To learn Mandalorian, go to http://www.karentraviss.com/html/mando.htm.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:11 pm 
The One True Sith Lord
The One True Sith Lord

Awesome to see. I enjoyed doing the SHNN and having fun like that but to be honest I could on for days like that on almost any subject doesnt have to be minis.

Nate and I do that on a regular basis with super heroes to drive the estrogen laden folks in the house crazy.

I miss probably all of the interaction mostly. This is the first lull I have had in the last two years and it is only until August 19th. Well maybe not even that long because I still have to drop Nate's stuff off at Ok State.

I have a new computer and downloaded vassal finally yesterday. The module I downloaded is version 11 though there was no v-set additions and some of the maps are not of the best quality veiw. I got it off swmresources.com echo's website. I am pretty sure I did it right. Anyways I got on there last night and there was nobody on. So I played some old republic and then watched some Breaking Bad.

SWM DCI Content Manager

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:29 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

Dean I will got on vassal at anytime if you want to play. I really do miss the RPG on vassal. The new rpg from FF is pretty sweet.

Yah I have moved to some of the LCG sites. I play the LCG now.

It was really nice hearing from you.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:08 pm 
Jedi Battlemaster
Jedi Battlemaster

Nearly as long for me.. maybe this should be a 'old timers' check in thread.

I mostly play SW:ToR these days. So if you're on the Jedi Covenant server look up ruhk or some permutation of the name [ie T'ruhk, P'ruhk, etc].. I might be online ;)

Good to hear from you Dean. Glad things sound like they are going well for you.

Join the FOLLY! Online casual League, find out more here: FOLLY

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:55 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

Hey Dean,

You're becoming an academic?!?! What's your PhD subject in?

I'm still debating whether mine was worth it :lol:

Did you ever pick up the Game of Thrones board game? Its a lot of fun.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:18 pm 
The One True Sith Lord
The One True Sith Lord

fingersandteeth wrote:
Hey Dean,

I am working towards my Masters of Science in Criminology from TCU. Once I am done with that I am not totally sure about the what of even where for the PhD.

I have several professors that all offer their opinions and usually that is go get your PhD from where I got mine you can go wrong!!!

I am been wondering how good the Game of Thrones board game is I would love to get it. I just picked up XWing this week and will be checking it out and Nate has got this game called Legendary by Upper Deck about MArvel Super Heroes. BUt I would love to find the GoT boardgame and give it a go.

Dylan is getting huge and now wants to play some of these games. He has gone from 5'0" last year at this time and being the smallest WR/CB on the football team to being 5'8" and being the tallest WR/CB on the 8th grade football team. Crazy.

SWM DCI Content Manager

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:24 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

welcome back

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:21 am 
Major Tierce
Major Tierce

Glad to hear that all is still going well for you Dean.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:24 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

dnemiller wrote:
fingersandteeth wrote:
Hey Dean,

I am working towards my Masters of Science in Criminology from TCU. Once I am done with that I am not totally sure about the what of even where for the PhD.

I have several professors that all offer their opinions and usually that is go get your PhD from where I got mine you can go wrong!!!

I am been wondering how good the Game of Thrones board game is I would love to get it. I just picked up XWing this week and will be checking it out and Nate has got this game called Legendary by Upper Deck about MArvel Super Heroes. BUt I would love to find the GoT boardgame and give it a go.

Dylan is getting huge and now wants to play some of these games. He has gone from 5'0" last year at this time and being the smallest WR/CB on the football team to being 5'8" and being the tallest WR/CB on the 8th grade football team. Crazy.

I have both Legendary and X-Wing. They're both excellent (but still not as good as SWM, IMHO). I play both with my kids on a regular basis. Never played GoT, but I love the show.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:10 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

dnemiller wrote:
Well I just noticed there is not a lot of conversation going on. It seems strange to me because I know for a ton of folks this used to occupy a large block of their day. So have they moved on to other games and their forums? It is hard to communicate for several years at a huge level and then just kind of stop doing so without filling it with something.

For me it has been the pursuit of a Phd. Which I am still doing. I spend almost every waking hour either reading a book that I need to or writing a paper of some sort. I just this week had time to read the Mercy Kill book because I have a little time between summer session and fall semester.

I know Nate and I spend countless hours putting Dylan through a plyometrics workout course for football season. Then we also spend a great amount of time debating Marvel Super Heroes which we both really enjoy. Nate has moved on to collecting comic books. He is getting ready to head back to Ok State for his Sophomore year and I must be honest I am quite depressed about it. I am watching my second son move on with his life and realizing that just like Chase our time has become very limited. I am very impressed with the young man he has become and that makes it even harder.

Anyways I just thought if anyone just likes to communicate with something other than Facebook.

I love reading about Dennis aka Boris the Dwarf. He swore for years he would never have a child and now here 2013 he sits with a baby boy. That is just too awesome.

Funny how life works out sometimes. It just takes being with the right person to make you want to be a parent, I suppose.

Sadly, I don't spend as much on Gamers as I once did. Last year right before GenCon (like the Friday before the convention), I quit my job of seven years that had provided me quite a bit of freedom to help with things like the v-set and enjoy forum time. I had just gotten married a few months prior and decided to move to Chattanooga where she was living. I put my house on the market and as soon as GenCon was over, headed down there for what I thought would be the last time. But life has a funny way of working out. Four months later I got a job offer to manage a news bureau in Owensboro, and I'd been having bad luck with realtors (don't trust a realtor who tells you she has a "partner") so we decided to move back.

Interest in Star Wars Minis around Owensboro had already been waning quite a bit even before I moved, but while I was gone, it completely died. Everyone else had just moved on from the game. So with my son coming into the world and no one to play this game with, I made the hard decision to downsize my massive collection. I kept most of my Hoth stuff - far too much sentimental value to ever let that go - but I've got about 1/3, maybe half, of what I used to. I sold off a few other games, too. Now, I get in a game of X-Wing when I can (not a lot of interest in that around here, either), and Star Trek Attack Wing. My current favorite game is the Lord of the Rings LCG, but a lot of that has to do with the fact that it can be played solo, and my wife enjoys playing it.

I guess I quit coming around as much after I stepped back from designing. There wasn't much else going on except discussion of the v-set cards, and it was hard to find interest in something I wasn't even getting to play. I'm looking forward to when my son is about 8 or so, when I can introduce him to this game. I think he will enjoy it.

Anyway, welcome back Dean! I was thinking yesterday I need to get on here and catch up on what's been going on.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:45 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Grand Moff Boris wrote:
dnemiller wrote:

Funny how life works out sometimes. It just takes being with the right person to make you want to be a parent, I suppose.

Sadly, I don't spend as much on Gamers as I once did. Last year right before GenCon (like the Friday before the convention), I quit my job of seven years that had provided me quite a bit of freedom to help with things like the v-set and enjoy forum time. I had just gotten married a few months prior and decided to move to Chattanooga where she was living. I put my house on the market and as soon as GenCon was over, headed down there for what I thought would be the last time. But life has a funny way of working out. Four months later I got a job offer to manage a news bureau in Owensboro, and I'd been having bad luck with realtors (don't trust a realtor who tells you she has a "partner") so we decided to move back.

Interest in Star Wars Minis around Owensboro had already been waning quite a bit even before I moved, but while I was gone, it completely died. Everyone else had just moved on from the game. So with my son coming into the world and no one to play this game with, I made the hard decision to downsize my massive collection. I kept most of my Hoth stuff - far too much sentimental value to ever let that go - but I've got about 1/3, maybe half, of what I used to. I sold off a few other games, too. Now, I get in a game of X-Wing when I can (not a lot of interest in that around here, either), and Star Trek Attack Wing. My current favorite game is the Lord of the Rings LCG, but a lot of that has to do with the fact that it can be played solo, and my wife enjoys playing it.

I guess I quit coming around as much after I stepped back from designing. There wasn't much else going on except discussion of the v-set cards, and it was hard to find interest in something I wasn't even getting to play. I'm looking forward to when my son is about 8 or so, when I can introduce him to this game. I think he will enjoy it.

Anyway, welcome back Dean! I was thinking yesterday I need to get on here and catch up on what's been going on.

Its good to see you around here again man. Hopefully your area can get a star wars mini's group started again.

Aliit ori'shya tal'din ("Family is more than Blood")
To learn Mandalorian, go to http://www.karentraviss.com/html/mando.htm.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:47 pm 
The One True Sith Lord
The One True Sith Lord

SO does everyone remember good ole Dylan that Very Rare pulling youngest son of mine???

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9424916@N05/653119893/

This is him after getting Boba a few years ago.

Here he is now in 8th grade playing football... he is number 2

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9424916@N05/10615914735/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9424916@N05/10616190593/

That is him making the tackle. Anyways we are headed to see Enders Game tonite. I was hoping someone was on here talking about it. Well we are going tonite anyways we have to get it out of the way for Thor.

SWM DCI Content Manager

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:44 pm 
Hand of the Sith
Hand of the Sith

All I have to say is wow!