logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: SWSwiss 2.0 Ready for testing
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:00 am 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

Spent some time on this, but I've gotten the pairing software to a point where I feel comfortable enough to release it to the
public for testing. I don't have a link up to download it, as I want to refine a few more items before I put it up for download. Which is true, but I also think I'm using that as an excuse to be lazy about it :)

If anyone is interested in getting an early copy of the program (what I'm calling v2.0.2) let me know in a PM, and I can email it to you.

A few things to note about the new software:

- Java 7 is required. If you are not running Java 7, the program will not run, complaining about missing a Main Class. This is a lie, and upgrading to Java 7 (or reinstalling Java) fixes it. You can use the following link to test - http://www.java.com/en/download/installed.jsp. If using Java 7 is a problem, let me know, I can try to make adjustments, but it will take some time.

- For most people familiar with the old software, the most jarring change is likely going to be when you start a round. Unlike the last version, where you had to choose manual pairing then and there, the new version dumps you to a screen that looks like the round has started. This is not the case, and you still have a chance to manually pair before initiating a round. You can also add players before starting round 1 in this screen, but it will force a resort every time its done (likely going to change that so it's more practical). The actual round does not start until you click start round on this 'pre-round' screen.

- While on that line of thought, there are a few places where program feedback is less than adequate. Most notably, some screens, rather than let you know why you can't do what you are trying to do, will appear not to respond. I'm looking into those, and will have them sorted beforehand.

- When you start a tournament, you will have four choices available to you as far as tournament type. The first three all start with SWM, and are followed with the point value for that given tournament. Be sure to select the right type here, as there presently is no way to change this once it is started! There's also a fourth option, XWING, which can be used for anyone interested in using this software to run X-Wing tournaments.

- Instead of picking a winner, and declaring if a match was a full or partial victory. I am now using 'Victory Types' to decide what points, wins, losses, and ties are awarded on match completion. For SWM, they are as follows:
* Full Victory - Winner gets win with 3 pts, loser gets loss with 0 pts
* Full Victory (close match) - Winner gets win with 3 pts, loser gets loss with 1 pt
* Partial Victory - Winner gets win with 2 pts, loser gets loss with 0 pts
* Double Loss - Both players are given loss with 0 pts
And for XWING:
* Full Victory (X-Wing) - Winner gets win with 5 pts, loser gets loss with 0 pts
* Tiebreaker Win - Winner gets win with 3 pts, loser gets loss with 0 pts
* Tie - Both players are awarded a tie, and both earn 1pt
In theory, I can also add more 'Victory Types' as needs arise, but I feel what is here now should be sufficient. I also plan on adding an option for users to add in their own types, so you can play around with different systems.

- Submission to the ranking system is in the works. I have been speaking with Kezzamachine and his programmer, and we are doing what we can to get this feature implemented. We'll keep working on this, but in the meantime, I'll be sure that the needed information for submission to the ranking system is in place.

- Printing is not available at this time. I'll have that ready by Gencon, but shouldn't be a detriment to local regionals. If that is going to be an issue, let me know, I'll prioritize printing (which means I'll likely need to get a printer :) )

- Saving tournaments is better than it was in the last version. You can now save a tournament mid-round, and resume it at a later time. You can also save a tournament in either a format that can be read by the software, or a human-readable text file. This can be done so long as a new tournament isn't started once the current one is over, or you close the program.

Let me know if you have any questions or concerns, and for any early volunteers, if there are problems running the software. The next iteration, 2.0.3, should be ready in time for the Capital City Champs on January 26th.

Post subject: Re: SWSwiss 2.0 Ready for testing
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:37 am 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

Location: Yes, I am yet another Canadian. Keeping the game alive on life support in the GTA.
Cool. Keep up the good work.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:00 am 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

For those of you that have sent me requests for the software, you should receive a copy of the software soon, I just sent emails out. If you did not receive an email, let me know, I'll send another message out.

Otherwise, I'll post here once I have a copy uploaded and ready for download.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:38 pm 
General
General

Will it be Windows 8 compatable?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:19 pm 
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina

It works on Windows 8.

AFM: drkjedi35
Bloomilk: swrogue57

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:18 pm 
Major Tierce
Major Tierce

This is also useful for X-Wing tournies as well. This is awesome.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:26 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

Is there, or can there eventually be, an option for a 1-point loss? In NZ, we award a 1pt loss if the loser gains over half the build points (so in a 200pt game, they would lose but have 100+ points).