logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 229 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next

Post subject: Re: Sarlacc: Vset Community Project 1
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:24 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

I agree with Young Sarlacc and Tank Droid sounds good.

People might not agree but I think that the Sarlacc should be a low-powered piece that's mostly useful for scenarios, comparable to something like Han Solo in Carbonite.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:33 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

R5Don4 wrote:
Weeks wrote:
We've learned over time that the text needs to be easily readable. If you need a magnifying glass to read it you're doing it wrong.

If anyone knows how many lines of text it takes to reach the set number it's you guys.

We'll do our best to design this piece as simply as possible, while still staying true to the theme. Thank you guys for your guidance to keep within the acceptable parameters.

It's something to keep in mind, but a lot of it is due to the graphics guru. V4 was sort of eye opening to a lot of designers of what happens when you keep on adding stuff, especially SA's that need a lot of text on the card. Remember, there are a decent amount of SA's that can lose the text. In the card Weeks is refering to, Melee, Double, Melee Reach and Speed 1 would lose the descriptive text.

Again, it is something to keep mindful of, but a lot of times, we can't truly tell until the card mock up is actually made, and even then, it is the graphics guy who needs to tell us, because the digital image isn't exactly what it will come out of the printer.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:37 pm 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

Weeks wrote:
Young Sarlacc
Hit Points: 200
Defense: 19
Attack: 13
Damage: 20
Melee Attack, Double Attack, Savage, Speed 1
Beaked Tongue (Replaces attacks, touch: 60 damage.)
Demolish (Ignores Damage Reduction of adjacent targets)
Ensnaring Tentacles (Large and smaller enemies hit by this character are considered ensnared. While ensnared, enemies may not move. Each time the target activates it is pulled 1 square closer to this character, save 11 negates and the character is no longer ensnared.)
Entrenched (Set up anywhere on your side of the battle map. +4 Defense against nonadjacent enemies.)
Melee Reach 3 (When attacking, this character treats enemies up to 3 squares away as adjacent)
Relentless Tentacles (This character can make an attack of opportunity against an enemy character each time it moves into or out of an adjacent square)

Take a look at a card next time you can. All that ain't gonna fit on there. We've learned over time that the text needs to be easily readable. If you need a magnifying glass to read it you're doing it wrong.

I spelled out every SA. Double, Savage, Melee and Speed 1 will all fit on one line if not defined on card.

Winner of YMTS XL: Double Agents - Trooper Davin Felth

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:44 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

I dont like young sarlaac. I dont I dont I dont. I think we need to go with sarlaac, a game square should be 5 ft, so as a huge its 15ft across, thats pretty big. I vote sarlaac, and either Knobby White Spider or Acklay for the RM.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:50 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

Location: Yes, I am yet another Canadian. Keeping the game alive on life support in the GTA.
RM is out of our hands. We were given a choice between two Huge Sep droids, one of which has a bunch of legs so it is what we're going with.

Name is still to be hammered out. We'll count you as a +1 for Sarlacc.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:37 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

+1 sarlacc
+1 sarlacc pit

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:41 am 
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice

Sarlacc +1 from me.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:19 am 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

Location: Yes, I am yet another Canadian. Keeping the game alive on life support in the GTA.
I'm good with just Sarlacc. Let the epic version have the fancy name.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:41 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

R5Don4 wrote:
That was easy. Crab it is. Next...

I prefer the Knobby White Spyder - a droid just doesn't feel right to me. Plus I think it has only been used once before anyway. There is nothing that says that RM can't be used for different pieces. We generally try to avoid it, but it is generally. When we did the War Cordinator, we had know idea there would be another use for the Knobby White Spider.

Just remember this is a COMMUNITY project. Everyone needs to be happy with the decisions being made.

That is the way the V-Set designer work. We take RM suggestions under advisement, but can choose what we want if we think it works better.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:54 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

LESHIPPY wrote:
R5Don4 wrote:
That was easy. Crab it is. Next...

I prefer the Knobby White Spyder - a droid just doesn't feel right to me. Plus I think it has only been used once before anyway. There is nothing that says that RM can't be used for different pieces. We generally try to avoid it, but it is generally. When we did the War Cordinator, we had know idea there would be another use for the Knobby White Spider.

Just remember this is a COMMUNITY project. Everyone needs to be happy with the decisions being made.

That is the way the V-Set designer work. We take RM suggestions under advisement, but can choose what we want if we think it works better.

Unfortunately, its impossible for everyone to be happy. We have to go with the majority on these things.

As for the RM, while we all agree the KWS would be the best RM, we have been told by the V-Set team that that is not an option. The options they have given us are the tank droid and the crab droid. Our hands are tied.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:15 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

KWS should be the RM, but Crab droid if it has to be.

Won't matter much anyway... I'm sure most people will print out a copy of the tile and cut it down to 3x3.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:25 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

FlyingArrow wrote:
KWS should be the RM, but Crab droid if it has to be.

Won't matter much anyway... I'm sure most people will print out a copy of the tile and cut it down to 3x3.

Hah...

Actually, everyone i know owns a mandalorian on basalisk that's broken off the base. Just use the black circular base... wallah, instant sarlac pit. :D

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:09 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

yeah, recommended mini is the least binding part of the process because it will only appear on the card, players can use whatever they want for games. If you told us we had to use the goof-bird, I'd say "whatever you think's best." Jason told us we had two choices, which made it easier.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:10 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

It kind seems like the Crab Droid has already been selected, but I wonder if we might want a medium RM. My reason is kind of related to Sithborg's objection to treating a character as terrain. From a rules perspective, I kind of see that. But at the same time, I (and I suspect many of you) would like people to be able to in the pit but not yet consumed.

Maybe something like this could work as an SA:

Surrounding slope:
Squares surrounding this character are considered difficult terrain. This character may not be adjacent to a wall or door.

If we have a medium character as the RM, that would leave the 8 surrounding squares empty. Then modify those squares into difficult terrain (slope of the pit). The character itself would represent the creature inside the pit. A separate SA would handle people actually falling into the pit/being eaten.

In practice, a 3x3 tile could still be used. The center square of the tile would represent the character and the other 8 squares would represent the difficult terrain that other characters could walk on.

Sithborg may see more difficulties than I see, but the two major difficulties that I have with treating a character as terrain are:

* You can't actually fit the character on the board on top of another character.
* If part of the character is terrain, you shouldn't be able to attack the terrain part of the character and cause damage to the character.

By making the character a medium that affects the surrounding terrain, instead of making the character itself huge, both of those problems are avoided.

With that, I recommend a Gundark as the RM.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:13 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

adamb0nd wrote:

Unfortunately, its impossible for everyone to be happy. We have to go with the majority on these things.

As for the RM, while we all agree the KWS would be the best RM, we have been told by the V-Set team that that is not an option. The options they have given us are the tank droid and the crab droid. Our hands are tied.

I am not sure why you were told it wasn't an option. Urbanjedi is just one person on the team. The one person that ca tell you guys that something will or not work is Sithborg. He is the rules guy and what he says goes. The rest is merely suggestion.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:19 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Regarding my suggestion of a medium RM... if it didn't make sense, here's a full stat card off the top of my head. (Not a final version at all, just to give the feel for how a medium-base Sarlacc could work.):

Sarlacc 33
HP: 200
Def: 14
Atk: 10
Dmg: 20
Base: MEDIUM

Melee Attack, Quadruple Attack, Melee Reach 3,
Emplacement
Savage
Uncontrollable: This character will make attacks of opportunity against allies.
Clamp
Surrounding Slope: Adjacent squares are considered Difficult Terrain. This character may not be adjacent to a wall or door.
Underground: This character may not be targeted or attacked by characters more than 3 squares away.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:23 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

I like that idea, but I think Large is the smallest you could go without it being ridiculous. Gravity is pulling people in as much as the tentacles.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:33 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Personally I prefer the large size. i suppose it makes no less sense then being able to move through a wampa.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:34 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

R5Don4 wrote:
I like that idea, but I think Large is the smallest you could go without it being ridiculous. Gravity is pulling people in as much as the tentacles.

Why is large the smallest you think we could go? In the scenario rules you posted, the actual creature was just the one square in the center of the pit. My suggestion was just to make it one square for the character and then 8 squares for the slope toward the pit.

I wouldn't mind making it large and then using surrounding squares as the slope, but then you have 4x4 being affected by this character. It's not exactly the same as having a character larger than Huge, but it's kind of leaning that way. I think Sithborg would have to okay that it's okay to do that. Also, I wonder if there are maps where a 4x4 space to place it couldn't be found. I'd hope not, but I haven't checked.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:50 pm 
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice

How about leaving the RM as tenative then decided, based on the final stats. As while a medium/large may work for your design it may not for another - in this respect "requiring" a certain base size curtails the design to a more specific pattern and somewhat limits the design options.

I myself have a design that works best with a huge.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 229 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next