logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post subject: Community Vset Fringe Project 1 Final 2 Voting
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:08 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

Location: Yes, I am yet another Canadian. Keeping the game alive on life support in the GTA.
This thread is to discuss and vote on the final two choices from this thread HERE. No new suggestions will be eligible for consideration. We are only deciding on the name of the TWO NON-UNIQUE FRINGE.

To vote, put the names of your two choices from the group of finalists. The final exact wording to be decided after finalists are chosen.

Voting will be closed on Oct 29. Any Tie breaker votes to be done on the 30th.

Please keep in mind that this is a group project, not a contest. We are only deciding on the name at this point, not stats or special abilities. Only two can go forward with this project, but the Vset designers are very interested in what the community wants to be made and this project has given them a clear picture of what that is as far as Non-Unique Fringe is as well as the concepts behind them. It seems very likely that any piece that received more than a +1 on the Short List will almost definitely be made by them in an upcoming set.

Final choices are

Sarlacc +10
Trandoshan Huntmaster +8
Black Sun Slicer +7
Ewok Catapult +7
Pirate Captain +7

Last edited by R5Don4 on Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Community Vset Fringe Project 1 Final 2 Voting
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:08 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

Location: Yes, I am yet another Canadian. Keeping the game alive on life support in the GTA.
Vote Tally

Black Sun Slicer +9 [RR, CM, TB, TH, FA, S1, AZ, AH, US]

Ewok Catapult +10 [AB, TB, TH, S2, SF, RY, K3, DB, DJ, R5]

Pirate Captain +13 [BY, RS, O1, LB, GF, OG, RY, MM, DN, KM, AH, US, JB]

Sarlacc +14 [RR, CM, BY, S2, GG, S1, DB, KM, AZ, F9, DJ, FA, R5, SG]

Trandoshan Huntmaster +14 [AB, RS, O1, LB, GF, K3, SF, OG, MM, GG, DN, F9, JB, SG]

Last edited by R5Don4 on Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:38 am, edited 27 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:07 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

So those are the final five. Would not have predicted those. Democracy is a wonderful thing.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:42 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Nice. I voted for about half of the items on the short list, and I voted for all 5 of these, so I don't think I can come away unhappy.

It looks to me like we have two pieces that are somewhat similar: Trandoshan Huntmaster and Pirate Captain. They're similar in that they would most likely boost existing pieces (Trandoshans or Pirates, respectively), and either one would probably be a pretty good secondary attacker in their own right, too.

Then two iconic pieces from the original trilogy in the Sarlacc and Ewok Catapult. Very different from one another

Then a tech piece with the Slicer.

This will be a tough choice. I'm looking forward to hearing people's ideas on the various pieces.

I'm not voting yet, but initially, Black Sun Slicer is my first choice. It seems pretty wide open where we could go with this one, and I like most of the possible directions that come to mind. A new door control twist. Or use an existing door control ability but at a new point level. He could have 0 offensive ability, or he could be average with a gun, with the point cost adjusted accordingly. He could have something totally new that is thematically related to gaining information on the enemy. He could provide some sort of boost for the Black Sun or (more likely) just be able to be boosted by them. We have Master Slicer as an SA, but we don't have Slicer... not sure how Master Slicer could be weakened into a regular version, but the name is there as an option (unless the design team has it ready for an upcoming set).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:12 am 
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina

gotta go with

sarlacc- how cool would this be to make a custom of?

black sun slicer- it's black sun AND slicer, how kriffin cool could that be? :r2line:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:09 am 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

RaginRancor wrote:
gotta go with

sarlacc- how cool would this be to make a custom of?

black sun slicer- it's black sun AND slicer, how kriffin cool could that be? :r2line:

same reasons! +1 +1

"...he is a wound in the Force..."

Dinuir ni verda kyr'am ner

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:01 am 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

If the Slicer or the Captain make it through as the final pieces I hope we can get an alien race tacked on the front. The right alien race could really help determine the recommended mini, which we will have to decide on almost immediately. It would also help spark imaginations designing the stats.

I don't really envision the Trandoshan Huntmaster having a CE to boost Trandos necessarily, but Bounty Hunters. I think of him as a non-unique version of Cradossk, Bossk's father and the leader of the Bounty Hunter's Guild. It would be cool to give Trandos a boost too because they all suck, but that is thematically not very Trando ironically because they kill each other rather than help each other. The only entry for Huntmaster on the Wook is in reference to Wookiees, there is an entry for Guildmaster though...

Sarlacc and Catapult, very different indeed. I see these both as Huge with Emplacement, but that is where the similarities end.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:05 am 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I'll vote for Sarlacc and the (insert species) Pirate Captain. Totally agree that he needs to be a certain species.

My trade thread: http://swmgamers.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=8437

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:29 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Ewoks are my favorite, and i've been asking to get more of them for ages (even before the V-Sets). 4 V-sets have been released and we just finally got the chieftan and at-st. The catapult is the last great non-unique for their sub faction that i've wanted to see.

I love the trandoshan pieces, and bossk has always been one of my favorite to play with. I used to play the BH version long after he stopped being useful just because he had such a cool spread of special abilities despite his low HP. I'd really like to see the trandoshan pieces in this game get a boost and become more feasible. Something like a CE granting access to ambush would allow them to get off their claw+rend combo for once.

I'd also like to see a sarlac... so this really is a 3 way tie for me. However, the other two may not get another chance... and I can totally see an epic great pit of carcoon being a likely piece... so my vote goes to the underdogs:

Ewok Catapult +1 :Ewok:
Trandoshan Huntmaster +1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:37 am 
Unnamed Stormtrooper
Unnamed Stormtrooper

Trandoshan and the Pirate get my vote. Sarlacc seems like a gambit rules thing, ignoring walls.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:49 am 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

Adam, don't despair, the Vset designers with most certainty are taking notice of these five. Just because we only get to move on with two of them doesn't mean the other three will be that far behind.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:56 am 
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice

I fail to see why a species needs to be specified for the pirate captain - and not locking down a species means the recommended mini is relatively arbitrary in that respect. If I want to submit stats for a Droid Pirate Captain I certainly can't for a character called Rodian Pirate Captain.

In the pursuit of Imagination, I personally would cast both my votes (if I could) for an undetermined species Pirate Captain, but specifying the species for that character yields no votes from me.

so Pirate Captain +1 only if species is not determined. Haven't figured out my second vote yet.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:14 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

+1 Trandoshan Huntmaster
+1 Pirate Captain

I think these two would be better than the others. I do not liek the idea of a Sarlaac. Here are my reason's. Does it make much sense to have a sarlaac in a startship? Would you really find a Sarlaac in cloud city? In star wars lore, these things were rare and couldn't be on just any planet. I would like to see a tatooine map made eventually that had a fixed feature that affected both players, and that feature could be the Sarlaac. But I think its just to off the wall to have a Sarlaac on just any map you choose to play on. Not to mention, the peice would be a nightmare to design.

Aliit ori'shya tal'din ("Family is more than Blood")
To learn Mandalorian, go to http://www.karentraviss.com/html/mando.htm.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:27 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

You wouldn't find a sarlacc just anywhere, but in this game you can cross eras and put huge vehicles inside small rooms (AT-ST on a Turbolift?). Sarlacc on a ship doesn't seem much more ridiculous.

You aren't going to see maps get new terrain for standard skirmishes. Many of the maps already have windows, and they are even ignored for standard skirmishes. At most, you might have a picture of sarlacc's pit that functions as, well, a pit.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:54 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

obikenobi1 wrote:
I think these two would be better than the others. I do not liek the idea of a Sarlaac. Here are my reason's. Does it make much sense to have a sarlaac in a startship? Would you really find a Sarlaac in cloud city? In star wars lore, these things were rare and couldn't be on just any planet. I would like to see a tatooine map made eventually that had a fixed feature that affected both players, and that feature could be the Sarlaac. But I think its just to off the wall to have a Sarlaac on just any map you choose to play on. Not to mention, the peice would be a nightmare to design.

I'm inclined to agree, but as FlyingArrow said, the suspension of disbelief has already been broken long ago. For me it was when you could play a snow speeder... flying down the halls of the jedi temple, making 90° turns in a 2x2 hallway.

That being said, i'm not against the idea of a sarlac... If I had to chose, i would make it an epic carcoon, maybe functioning somewhat like The Ganner in the basics of its design. That would certainly make it a much rarer encounter.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:37 am 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

Lord_Ball wrote:
I fail to see why a species needs to be specified for the pirate captain - and not locking down a species means the recommended mini is relatively arbitrary in that respect. If I want to submit stats for a Droid Pirate Captain I certainly can't for a character called Rodian Pirate Captain.

In the pursuit of Imagination, I personally would cast both my votes (if I could) for an undetermined species Pirate Captain, but specifying the species for that character yields no votes from me.

so Pirate Captain +1 only if species is not determined. Haven't figured out my second vote yet.

We won't rule out anything at this point, so I'm not going to count this conditional vote.

As we already had this conversation in the first thread, the concluding statement I made on it was that as long as we stick to the convention of including a qualifier in the name we'll be ok. The examples you mentioned in that thread, Mercenary Commander, Geohadaran Assassin and Crimson Nova Bounty Hunter that don't reference are more a case of an exception than the much more common Species qualifier before description. The current five minis in the Pirate sub-faction are all of different species, with their only uniting commander is the Unique Hondo, being the same species as one of them, but in game terms he is not a member of the Weequay species at this point. A Pirate Captain mini would only qualify for Hondo's CE if it was a follower, which doesn't really go with the name Captain.

By the 31st we have to have a final name for the 2 units. If either of the 2 minis without species are the final 2 we are going to have to have another round of voting on the name I suppose, with "plain" being an option. Every part of this project is going to be open to community input, with democratic majority being the final word.

For the most part, alien species is very much just for flavor, and has no binding impact on the stats at all, the only exception would be the one you brought up would be if it were to be a droid, which would have the Droid SA, but really be no different in any other way. Yes, keeping the slate as blank as possible will leave all options open design wise, but to my mind seems like a missed opportunity.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:49 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

obikenobi1 wrote:
+1 Trandoshan Huntmaster
+1 Pirate Captain

Vs, say having Golan Turrets randomally installed in a hallway or having everymap have a place for Palpatine's Throne?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:26 pm 
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice

R5Don4 wrote:
By the 31st we have to have a final name for the 2 units. If either of the 2 minis without species are the final 2 we are going to have to have another round of voting on the name I suppose, with "plain" being an option. Every part of this project is going to be open to community input, with democratic majority being the final word.

For the most part, alien species is very much just for flavor, and has no binding impact on the stats at all, the only exception would be the one you brought up would be if it were to be a droid, which would have the Droid SA, but really be no different in any other way. Yes, keeping the slate as blank as possible will leave all options open design wise, but to my mind seems like a missed opportunity.

Without going into too much discussion over it (again) I think at this point the name is more of a "concept" type of thing, that's why I am so opposed to slapping species designations on as many as possible.

I would recommend that during the stat submission portion species modifiers be added to the name if the submitter desires (certainly not requiring it though as per the Mercenary Commander), but not directly deciding what species the figure is before that time. That's how I'd like to see it handled anyway.

That said I remove my conditional on the +1 for the Pirate Captain and also submit a +1 for the Trandoshan Huntmaster (as I have an interesting custom in mind for that one as well)!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:52 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

The name has to be set by the 31st. After this round is done, we have a couple days free before then to decide whether or not we want a species modifier. You know, like a Hutt Ewok Catapult or something like that. Flex that tail and get ready to launch! But if don't reach an agreement, the default should be 'plain', since that's what is being voted on.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:52 pm 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

+1's for the Trandoshan Huntmaster and Pirate Captain

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next