logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 228 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Post subject: Re: Do you want to make a piece for a v-set?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:29 am 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

GeneralGrievous wrote:
Awesome Killik ideas! I still think they should have pheromones but love joiner!

I think your right on that too. It would make for an interesting design. Killiks having Pheromones as a basic ability. I'd say this would instantly drop their basic defense by 3.

"...he is a wound in the Force..."

Dinuir ni verda kyr'am ner

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:04 am 
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice

FlyingArrow wrote:
Another idea for a low-cost tech piece (based on discussion with R4Don4)...

Immobilized Droid
HP 30
Def 14
Atk -
Dmg -
Proximity Alarm: Adjacent enemies do not have cover.
Emplacement

I fail to see this piece being of much use as is - emplacement + poor defense and enemies have to be adjacent for it to be of any use other than an activation (not likely to be effective in it's goal). Also it seems to be missing "Droid".

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:37 am 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

Location: Yes, I am yet another Canadian. Keeping the game alive on life support in the GTA.
saber1 wrote:
Also, I +1 making a master list if proposed names. It's a chore to weed through 9 pages to find the entries thus far and it'll only get worse as the entries continue to roll in.

+2. ;) Check the first page near the bottom, I've been maintaining a list with votes from the beginning. It's been edited 48 times so far.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:47 am 
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice

more name suggestions:
Veteran ____
Novice ____

I myself prefer Pirate or Privateer (as that's the "sub-faction" that I'd like to see fleshed out first), but Smuggler/Explorer/Bounty Hunter/Gambler/etc. are all possibilities (my basic premise here is to avoid dictating the character species).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:21 am 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

Location: Yes, I am yet another Canadian. Keeping the game alive on life support in the GTA.
Avoiding species is directly opposed to the way this game has always been. Quarren _______, Human _______, Gotal ______, Jawa ______, etc. so I'm not sure how far that would fly.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:33 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

+1 Landspeeder

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:54 am 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

R5Don4 wrote:
saber1 wrote:
Also, I +1 making a master list if proposed names. It's a chore to weed through 9 pages to find the entries thus far and it'll only get worse as the entries continue to roll in.

+2. ;) Check the first page near the bottom, I've been maintaining a list with votes from the beginning. It's been edited 48 times so far.

Aha! Thank you, sir.

Winner of YMTS XL: Double Agents - Trooper Davin Felth

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:05 am 
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice

R5Don4 wrote:
Avoiding species is directly opposed to the way this game has always been. Quarren _______, Human _______, Gotal ______, Jawa ______, etc. so I'm not sure how far that would fly.

yes and no - there's limited options (in the fringe faction especially) for ambiguous species but it hasn't been opposed really. The most common species ambiguity has been for jedi, but in the fringe faction there's the Crimson Nova Bounty Hunter and GenoHaradan that could honestly have been any number of species. Take the Chagrin Mercenary Commander from ROTS and the Mercenary Commander from IE and you can see that even WOTC didn stick entirely with that precedent, since it's lacking Human it could've been a character of any species.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:41 am 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

Right, but even in those examples that Species is not specified, another sub-faction qualifier is present. So as long as we stick to that we'll be ok.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:03 am 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

Personally, I really like named species. It allows for a common design thread to run throughout that species' representations. Wookiees tend to have Momentum, Jawas tend to have some form of "droid hate". It's not a hard rule but there is plenty of precedence from WotC. That being said, if a piece warrants a lack of named species I wouldn't necessarily be against it. Finally, naming the species of a particular piece just adds cool flavor to the game.

I wish WotC had specified the species of every piece as a stat.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:09 am 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

saber1 wrote:
R5Don4 wrote:
saber1 wrote:

Aha! Thank you, sir.

the list was getting long and in need of some organization so I sorted it, hopefully it will be easier to read now.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:15 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Lord_Ball wrote:
FlyingArrow wrote:

Immobilized Droid
HP 30
Def 14
Atk -
Dmg -
Emplacement

I fail to see this piece being of much use as is - emplacement + poor defense and enemies have to be adjacent for it to be of any use other than an activation (not likely to be effective in it's goal). Also it seems to be missing "Droid".

Yes - it needs Droid. It's not 'much use', but for 3 points it doesn't need to be. It just needs to be more useful than a Mouse or Ugnaught in some situations. E.g. you need cover in a particular spot or you need the enemy to not get cover in a particular spot. With 30hp, it should last a bit longer than an Uggie. Maybe not a Mouse, though, with lower Def.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:17 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

I love the idea of a Killik, but not for this project. When Killiks are introduced, there should be multiple characters with coordinated stats.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:25 am 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

Would anyone care to see a Wookiee Bounty Hunter?

Wookiee Bounty Hunter
Hit Points: 50
Defense: 18
Attack: 8
Damage: 20
Base: Medium
Special Abilities
Double Attack (On its turn, this character can make 1 extra attack instead of moving)
Bounty Hunter +2 (+2 Attack against Unique enemies)
Madclaw (Not subject to commander effects; cannot be in a squad that contains a Wookiee without Madclaw)
Momentum (If this character has moved this turn, it gets +4 Attack and +10 Damage against adjacent enemies)
Rend +20 (If both of its attacks hit the same adjacent enemy, this character's second attack gets +20 Damage)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:30 am 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

How about a Crimson Nova Bounty Hunter on Speeder?

Crimson Nova Bounty Hunter on Speeder
Hit Points: 40
Defense: 15
Attack: 6
Base: Large
Special Abilities
Bounty Hunter +2 (+2 Attack against Unique enemies)
Charging Assault +10 (Replaces turn: Can move up to double speed, then make an attack at +10 Damage against an adjacent enemy)
Flight (Ignores difficult terrain, enemy characters, low objects, and pits when moving)
Penetration 10 (Enemies' Damage Reduction is reduced by 10 against this character's attacks)
Satchel Charge (Replaces attacks: Designate 1 adjacent door as open; it remains open for the rest of the skirmish and cannot be closed)
Speed 10 (Can move up to 10 squares and attack, or 20 squares without attacking)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:38 am 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

And another option, Heavy Ordnance Mercenary.

Heavy Ordnance Mercenary
Hit Points: 40
Defense: 16
Attack: 8
Base: Medium
Special Abilities
Air-Burst Missiles 30 (Replaces attacks: sight; 30 damage to target, save 11 for 10 damage. 10 damage to each character within 6 squares of that target; save 6.)
Grenades 10 (Replaces attacks: range 6; 10 damage to target and to each character adjacent to that target; save 11)
Limited Movement (Cannot move more than 6 squares during its turn)
Mercenary (This character can move only if it cannot make an attack from its starting space)
Satchel Charge (Replaces attacks: Designate 1 adjacent door as open; it remains open for the rest of the skirmish and cannot be closed)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:00 am 
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice

FlyingArrow wrote:
Lord_Ball wrote:
FlyingArrow wrote:

Immobilized Droid
HP 30
Def 14
Atk -
Dmg -
Emplacement

Yes - it needs Droid. It's not 'much use', but for 3 points it doesn't need to be. It just needs to be more useful than a Mouse or Ugnaught in some situations. E.g. you need cover in a particular spot or you need the enemy to not get cover in a particular spot. With 30hp, it should last a bit longer than an Uggie. Maybe not a Mouse, though, with lower Def.

my issue is that it's so limited in scope - with emplacement and the ability limited to adjacency it'd be fairly hard to get to use the ability before it's taken out (especially since the power level has increased that 30 Damage isn't hard to put on a figure with such a weak defense).

It's definitely a cool concept - just don't feel this particular execution of it is ready for primetime.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:05 am 
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice

saber1 wrote:
Personally, I really like named species. It allows for a common design thread to run throughout that species' representations. Wookiees tend to have Momentum, Jawas tend to have some form of "droid hate". It's not a hard rule but there is plenty of precedence from WotC. That being said, if a piece warrants a lack of named species I wouldn't necessarily be against it. Finally, naming the species of a particular piece just adds cool flavor to the game.

I wish WotC had specified the species of every piece as a stat.

Don't get me wrong I don't mind them, and to a point also like them, but there's so many unrepresented species (or limited in representation) that it makes the galaxy seem small when using the same ones all the time. While the vset can certainly call a mon cal a selkath or do other species substitution to me it'd just be easier starting with ambiguity (which is itself fairly limited) then branching out to species substutions(as is being done with the Vong) from there.

Last edited by Lord_Ball on Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:09 am 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

FlyingArrow wrote:
R5Don4 wrote:
There are still many more days for entries to be allowed and voices to be heard. It is not entirely unlikely of us having 200+ entries, which is fantastic, I hope it is more. To face a short list of 100 though, because of a small arbitrary rule ok'd by a couple people who happened to chime in on this thread at the right time, seems a disservice to the process. What I'm hoping we don't see is a super long short list, that only has people voting for their own entries and unwilling to support others ideas because they feel it will be at the expense of their entry.

Wow, yeah. I was thinking we'd have somewhere between 15 and 40 entries on the short list. I don't think that's too many for anyone to go through on a ballot. It would only be a minute or so of adding +1 to the selections. But 100+ - yeah that would be something else. I guess a cutoff of 50 (?) entries on the short list (+ any ties) is as arbitrary as needing one person to +1 it to advance, but it would put a cap on how big the list could be. And that would be a good thing. At this point, that would include anything with a +1, but if the list gets too large over the next few days, it would mean you need two +1s.

I think there is a world of difference between a short list of 15 and a short list of 50 for an end result of only 2 choices.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:46 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Lord_Ball wrote:
Don't get me wrong I don't mind them, and to a point also like them, but there's so many unrepresented species (or limited in representation) that it makes the galaxy seem small when using the same ones all the time. While the vset can certainly call a mon cal a selkath or do other species substitution to me it'd just be easier starting with ambiguity (which is itself fairly limited) then branching out to species substutions(as is being done with the Vong) from there.

+1
That's not a +1 for a suggestion, just to what you're saying. If a piece is just a role without a species attached, then people can make their own customs of any species, including those that don't have a mini. At the same time, people who don't make customs can use some other proxy without having any thematic disconnect.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 228 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next