Major Tierce

So what are we proposing for Sat?

sealed 9AM

Sith trials?
MM 1pm
? 5 pm
Tile Wars 8 pm

Team tourney???

Would people play in the team tourney if it was Thurs night (and the champs didn't start until 10am on Fri?)

Post subject: Re: GenCon 2013 planning
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:50 pm 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

LESHIPPY wrote:
What would you like to see in 2013? What did you play in this year and did you enjoy it? Is there something new you would like to see added?

As Timmer pointed out, I also would like to see the 100 point format return in some form next year. Although I would prefer a wide open selection to all sets. Played in the MM but again agree with Tim that it should not be part of the JC but a stand-alone event.

As for other thoughts, perhaps a Fantastic Four using the NZ Battle Royale format would be fun. We've done it on a number of occasions here in WNY and have had a blast. It might be a nice option for those folks who don't get involved with the team tourney, in order to crown a King or Queen of the ring.

I would be willing to bring the DST out to draw in the casual SW fan. From what I saw on Sunday folks had an excellent time and who doesn't like a chance at blowing up the Death Star?! Perhaps we expand to add in other class fighters next time around?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:52 pm 
Major Tierce
Major Tierce

Don't worry Gerry, there will be a death star trench run as well as a new and improved half finished death star (ala ROTJ).

Also Hoth should make a return as well as a wild adventure on Endor with these little small dudes called Ewoks or something :)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:13 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Rich and I are planning on building a "3D" arena out of foam for the the Geonosis Arena mass battle. We need to chat about the number of players though.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:30 am 
Warmaster
Warmaster

TimmerB123 wrote:
thereisnotry wrote:
Jedi Challenge and Sith Trials are really cool big-events, and I hope they'll continue to be part of the Gencon lineup for years to come. But please no sealed stuff in those; some people (ie, me) put a lot of planning into their squads for the JC/ST events, and it sucks to have your chances so heavily dependent on what you pull in the sealed event. The sealed event was a huge success and its numbers show that it clearly doesn't need to be part of the ST in order to be popular. Put something else back in there instead.

Very much agree. Sealed is fun on it's own and I will most likely play in it again. The bonus of custom figures is a HUGE draw, I know many people played in it JUST for the figures. You know what you draw in sealed is luck, and you take that risk when playing in the tournament. But having it ALSO effect a greater 3 tournament overall is too much. Mystery Map is also a bit luck dependent (certain squads do better on certain maps), but not as bad as sealed.

i never really liked the idea of a sealed tourney for the SIth trials or jedi challenge. Mystery map i am all for again, because although you do have a bit of luck not knowing the map, everyone has that disadvantage. Tile wars is obviously a big one i would like to keep in the trails, and maybe a Constructed epic duos would be interesting, as it would keep the time down.

Or even as a secondary idea, do tile wars (45 minute rounds), Epic duo constructed (45 minute rounds), and Epic Skirmishes (90 minute rounds). It would still be a long day but the first 2 could be done fairly quickly.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:33 am 
Warmaster
Warmaster

DarphNader wrote:
LESHIPPY wrote:
What would you like to see in 2013? What did you play in this year and did you enjoy it? Is there something new you would like to see added?

As Timmer pointed out, I also would like to see the 100 point format return in some form next year. Although I would prefer a wide open selection to all sets. Played in the MM but again agree with Tim that it should not be part of the JC but a stand-alone event.

As for other thoughts, perhaps a Fantastic Four using the NZ Battle Royale format would be fun. We've done it on a number of occasions here in WNY and have had a blast. It might be a nice option for those folks who don't get involved with the team tourney, in order to crown a King or Queen of the ring.

I would be willing to bring the DST out to draw in the casual SW fan. From what I saw on Sunday folks had an excellent time and who doesn't like a chance at blowing up the Death Star?! Perhaps we expand to add in other class fighters next time around?

fantastic four could be interesting to be in the sith trials. Still a quick tourney.

I also like the idea of jedi challenge gaining a 100 point tournament again. it would be a bit different now, though i still think mace would dominate. maybe a 100 point, non vset would work.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:19 pm 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

I was listening to the SHNN show from a week and half ago tonight and an idea popped in my head. In regards to the Top 8 for the championship, I think it's good to leave the play times "open" so players can have options, and I think making the deadline to play on Sunday morning is good too, but maybe we could run a different tourney on Sunday morning. I know I was a little bummed that I missed the 500 point tourney due to being in the Top 8 (I know, I know, I don't really have room to complain)- but still, it sucked a bit to miss that tourney (especially after losing right away to Nader). So maybe we could have the sealed event on Sunday. I was thinking, while I liked playing in the tourney, it's not as "serious" as other formats and ultimately the biggest boon is getting the customs. So even if players were unable to play in it due to making top 8, they could still get their pieces. Plus it has the added benefit of being removed from the Jedi Challenge and Sith Trials so they become less luck based.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:48 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

Something I'd like to try here in NZ (which you could think about maybe) is a 6.5 competition. That is, all your characters must be rated 6.5 or less on BlooMilk (roughly the bottom half). I'm uber-keen to see just what kind of squads you could make!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:07 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

Location: Yes, I am yet another Canadian. Keeping the game alive on life support in the GTA.
kezzamachine wrote:
Something I'd like to try here in NZ (which you could think about maybe) is a 6.5 competition. That is, all your characters must be rated 6.5 or less on BlooMilk (roughly the bottom half). I'm uber-keen to see just what kind of squads you could make!

Good concept, but I don't think you can go by Bloo Ratings for anything. A game we used to play was what we called battle of the weenies. A deck of cards made up of the never played not so great characters. Each player is dealt a hand of cards and they keep drawing cards until they reach a set point level. We usually just stuck to Fringe.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:16 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

kezzamachine wrote:

6.5 is more like the 25th Percentile, right? It's hilarious that Naboo Pilots are down there - they're currently rated 6.42. There's no way to give them twin, but I think they'd still be a strong option.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:14 pm 
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Some of the ratings on bloo are a complete joke, I just don't think it's a good idea for that kind of format.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:51 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Let me tell you that Randy's NCAA format he detailed earlier is a lot of fun. Chris, Bryan, and I played in it when he ran it and had a lot of fun. No materials were needed and it was fun for everyone. With the great prize support he mentioned, I am sure it would be an event that would sell out easily everytime and would be actually one you would definitely want to be entered in early. With the preset 50 point squads, the games are over quickly and it behooves you to fight it out everytime as the points you kill are what determines your placing rather than record alone.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:14 am 
Major Tierce
Major Tierce

Been talking with Randy working on getting his event on the schedule for next year. It will be there.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:21 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

urbanjedi wrote:
Been talking with Randy working on getting his event on the schedule for next year. It will be there.

great to hear

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:25 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

I think everything sounds good, however not sure about the 500 point Epic. There was a small field even though many people talk about it most did not play in it. I joked with Jim that if our final was so Epic where was everyone? Most people seemed to (1) not care about it , or (2) were so tired they weren't interested.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:43 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

WacoBlaze wrote:
I think everything sounds good, however not sure about the 500 point Epic. There was a small field even though many people talk about it most did not play in it. I joked with Jim that if our final was so Epic where was everyone? Most people seemed to (1) not care about it , or (2) were so tired they weren't interested.

I was interested, but I didn't because I was exhausted. Schedule killed it. I hate to say it but lighter, more fun events need to take place that day. Epic is . . . well, EPIC. I really wish that there was a FULL epic tournament. And by full I mean enough time to finish the majority of games. 2 hr rounds. But of course that would take a long time. I just don't know if GenCon is the place for it. We already commit to so many things - all day championship, 12 round Jedi Challenge, 12 round Sith Trials. It's tough to add another "biggie" at all, but ESPECIALLY tough on Sunday.

I second that the sealed should be on Sunday. It's relaxed, fun, and if you make the top 8 you'll still get the boosters. I know some people can't make it Thurs or Fri, but virtually everyone is still there Sun. And then it frees up Sat for the Sith trials + Team tournament.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:46 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Yep, Epic on Sunday = Epic Fail.

I think some day other than Sunday is definitely the way to go. I'm not sure that we need the full 2 hours, but I don't think it's unreasonable to hold a 6-hour tournament (start at 4:00 pm, finish at 10:00) on a Thursday or Friday or Saturday (whatever day is not taken up with the JC and the STs).

Again, let me re-iterate: the "light" or "casual" events (DD tournaments, Sealed, etc) should be kept for Sunday, and the more intense or interesting ones should take place on Thurs/Fri/Sat.