logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Outside the Box #10: Darth Maul on Speeder
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:41 pm 
General
General

You better watch out! You better not cry! You better not pout--I'm telling you why: Darth Maul on Speeder's coming to town!

I recently acquired this fig in a game of chance (don't worry, I didn't kill anyone you know for it). Anyway, I've been trying to come up with a good squad to use it in. I decided to use an Outside the Box post to see what I could come up with. This post is going to be a little more verbose than the previous ones, as I'm including more information than I normally do. Let me know what you think about it.

Darth Maul on Speeder has some scary stats, and the best mobility of any Force user in the game (save Luke's Snowspeeder). Between Charging Assault +10, Sith Rage, and Cleave, he can kill a 50 HP fig then put 40 damage on another adjacent fig (from 12 squares away). Sounds like fun. Weaknesses include low Force points and bad faction support.

Darth Maul on Speeder [57]
HP: 140
Defense: 21
Attack: +14
Damage: 20
----
Unique
Accelerate (This character can move up to 24 squares if he does not attack)
Charging Assault +10 (Replaces turn: Can move up to double speed, then make an attack at +10 Damage against an adjacent enemy)
Cleave (Once per turn, if this character defeats an adjacent enemy by making an attack, he can make 1 immediate attack against another adjacent enemy)
Deadly Attack (Scores a critical hit on an attack roll of natural 19 or 20)
Double Attack (On his turn, this character can make 1 extra attack instead of moving)
Melee Attack (Can attack only adjacent enemies)
----
Force 3
Lightsaber Assault (Force 1, replaces attacks: Make 2 attacks)
Sith Rage (Force 1: +10 Damage on all attacks this turn)

Synergy Options:

Commander Effects:
10 San Hill - You activate only 1 character each phase.
13 Chagrian Mercenary Commander - Each follower within 6 squares who scores a critical hit gets +20 Damage on that attack. (Add the bonus damage after multiplying.)
24 Rodian Black Sun Vigo - Each follower within 6 squares who has cover cannot be targeted by Accurate Shot unless it is the nearest enemy.
30 Nute Gunray - Allies get -2 Attack and gain Speed 4.
61 Darth Sidious, Dark Lord of the Sith - Characters in your squad with a Force rating can spend Force points from Darth Sidious, Dark Lord of the Sith. (A character still can't spend Force points more than once per turn and can't combine its own Force points with those from Darth Sidious.)

Special Abilities:
8 Wicket - Traps (-4 Defense to enemies)
10 Twi'lek Bodyguard - Bodyguard (30 HP)
12 Medical Droid - Emergency Life Support
20 Bodyguard Droid - Bodyguard (60 HP)
23 Nikto Gunner on Desert Skiff - Desert Skiff
24 Mistryl Shadow Guard - Bodyguard (60 HP)
28 Sly Moore - Dominate
32 B'omarr Monk - Dominate
36 Darth Sidious - Dark Master (Force Battery)
48 Darth Tyranus - Dark Inspiration (Lightsaber Duelist)

The Outside the Box Challenge:
Try to come up with a 100 point squad that could take on Bane and 6 Ugnaughts. A 150 point squad that could take on Black and Blue (or some kind of Thrawn + Beatstick squad). And a 200 point squad that could be decent at a tournament.

Here are mine:

-100 points vs. Bane & 6 Ugnaughts-
57 Darth Maul on Speeder
37 Aurra Sing
3 Ugnaught Demolitionist
3 Ugnaught Demolitionist
(100pts. 4 Activations)

Use Aurra to pick off Ugnaughts early, and Maul can run them down with his Speeder, too, as long as it doesn't bring him too close to Bane. If your opponent is keeping all the Ugs near Bane, then make him or her bring Bane out to Gambit to engage you so then Aurra can pick them off. Anyway, if you play it right, you should have a good chance of outactivating Bane by the time you engage him with Maul (which means you will get 2 more attacks in with Maul before he dies). Sith Rage Double Attacks are the order of the day for Maul. Aurra can Careful Shot Jedi Hunter each round also. Bane will probably kill Maul, but then Aurra can finish him off.

-150 points vs. Black & Blue-
58 Grievous's Wheel Bike
57 Darth Maul on Speeder
12 Gonk Power Droid
8 Muun Tactics Broker
3 Ugnaught Demolitionist
3 Ugnaught Demolitionist
3 Ugnaught Demolitionist
3 Ugnaught Demolitionist
3 Ugnaught Demolitionist
(150pts. 9 activations)

A couple of not-so-subtle Thrawn Assassins. There is so much potential for this squad to lose spectacularly, but once I thought of it, I had to try it. :) The Wheel Bike and the Speeder just immediately charge Thrawn from round 1 (using Wheeled and Accelerate, respectively). Make sure to activate Sith Rage before Charging Assault +10ing into the bubble. MTB keeps Vader JH from getting 2 Triple Attacks in a row. Once Thrawn dies, sacrifice the Gonk to kill the MTB. Then the two (probably wounded) main characters have to try to take out Vader and some (unboosted) Stormtroopers. I'd probably try to use Grievous against the Stormies, because he'll need 17s to hit Vader JH in cover. :D You could drop 3 Ugs to bring in Lobot so you don't lose points for the Gonk and the MTB, but then you're on an even shorter clock to kill Thrawn.

(On a side note: I've heard good things about some guy named San Hill when it comes to taking on Thrawn squads. If you're looking for him, you can probably find him inside the box.)

-200 pts. Tournament Quality-
57 Darth Maul on Speeder
48 Darth Tyranus
38 Telosian Tank Droid
36 Darth Sidious
9 Battle Droid Officer
3 Ugnaught Demolitionist
3 Ugnaught Demolitionist
3 Ugnaught Demolitionist
3 Ugnaught Demolitionist
(200pts. 9 activations)

Maul becomes a real terror with Lightsaber Duelist and some extra Force points. Although Sidious may be using all his FPs to Pawn the Telosian Tank Droid and give it extra Twin Attacks. No activation control or initiative control will hurt in todays meta (probably the lack of init. control will hurt more). But Maul and Tyranus represent a lot of power. There aren't many opposing beats that will be able to stand up to the two of them. I'd play Sidious aggressively and hopefully get him to take a few hits and keep some of the heat off your main attackers.

Please take the challenge and post your squads! It's all about exercising your squad-building creativity.

What I learned this week:
I hadn't thought about putting the two speedy Separatist Uniques into a squad together to go assassinate someone. I don't know if it works well at 150, but at 200...

I welcome any feedback on the Outside the Box posts or my squads. I'm also taking suggestions for next time.

Here are some other characters I'm considering if you just want to vote for one of these:
[2 Votes] Kyle Katarn (New Republic)
[1 Vote] HK-47 (Fringe)
[1 Vote] Warmaster Tsavong Lah (Yuuzhan Vong)
[0 Votes for the rest, so far]
Aayla Secura (Republic)
Ki-Adi-Mundi (Republic)
Mace Windu, Jedi Master (Republic)
Asajj Ventress (Separatists)
Grievous [anything but Supreme Commander] (Separatists)
Jabba the Hutt (Fringe)
Guri (Fringe)
Anyone else you want to try to make competitive.

Outside the Box #1: Biggs Darklighter
Outside the Box #2: Darth Vader, Champion of the Sith
Outside the Box #3: Luke Skywalker, Jedi Master
Outside the Box #4: Darth Malak
Outside the Box #5: Anakin Skywalker, Sith Apprentice
Outside the Box #6: Obi-Wan on Boga
Outside the Box #7: Bastila Shan
Outside the Box #8: Corran Horn
Outside the Box #9: Zam Wesell

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:44 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

I think the first squad could stand up to Bane, but it would be very stupid to rush him. Wait untill he close enough for a lightsaber throw, then use maul to charge him. As for the others, they look good to me. B&B squads are used to being the fastest around, so using very high speeds can really throw the squad off, especially if you can assasinate Thrawn. This is very difficult to do, however, because of his force bubble, and because he is heavily gaurded.

I think this is the only melee beat that can do WELL with nute gunray, simply because accerlerate and charging assult make speed 4 meaningless.

http://www.swshoebox.com/userSquad.cfm?user=sirstevee

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:52 pm 
General
General

SirStevee wrote:
I think this is the only melee beat that can do WELL with nute gunray, simply because accerlerate and charging assult make speed 4 meaningless.

I thought about that too. If he has Speed 4, he can either move 8 and attack or move 24 without attacking. The -2 Attack might still hurt, though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:44 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

I don't think speed 4 actually does anything to charging assult. The ability says: move up to 12 squares and attack. This abiltiy replaces turn, so I really don't think it would work like that. That's a good question to ask. I would think no, but intresting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:25 pm 
General
General

More recent descriptions for Charging Assault +10 (such as on Chewbacca, Enraged Wookiee) say "move up to double speed" not "move 12 squares". I believe the old abilities inherit the new text.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:31 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

That's a good point. I posted it in the rules question forum, so we'll see soon. This was posted before your last post, so I didn't think of that, and I didn't mention that. I think accelerate still makes up for it, however.