logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Scum & Villainy!
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:13 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

So it's August 1, the release date of the PDF of Scum & Villainy! It can be found at www.swmresources.com under the Virtual Sets tab. You can also find a link to the new EPIC characters under "EPIC Sets" in that same tab.

Enjoy!!!

"You can't per aspera ad astra unless there's some aspera in front of your astra. And that means sometimes the aspera gets you." - Donald X. Vaccarino

Post subject: Re: Scum & Villainy!
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:28 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

The link for Epic Set 2 sent me back to the home page instead of showing me the PDF.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:35 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Randy wrote:
The link for Epic Set 2 sent me back to the home page instead of showing me the PDF.

Heh, whoops! Fixed now. :)

"You can't per aspera ad astra unless there's some aspera in front of your astra. And that means sometimes the aspera gets you." - Donald X. Vaccarino

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:19 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Echo wrote:
Randy wrote:

It still redirects me on Firefox, but it worked on Safari.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:20 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Dracon2 wrote:
Echo wrote:
Randy wrote:

It still redirects me on Firefox, but it worked on Safari.

It's likely that you'll have to clear the cache on Firefox. The link should now be sending you to http://www.swmresources.com/downloads/EPIC2.pdf

EDIT: Actually I just checked again and noticed I had some forward slashes mixed up with backslashes. :oops: Chrome and Safari automatically fixed them when you clicked the link, but Firefox didn't. Should be fixed for real now!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:02 am 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

So I was wondering, is the rakghol warrior supposed to NOT have savage or melee attack?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:09 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Hmm...
"A rakghoul under the power of the Muur Talisman retains its former skill and knowledge."

Must have originally been a Trandoshan. :)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:43 am 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Nice set. Really like the Squib Trader. Need to go confirm if a character can Relay Orders to itself, even if not, should be handy to put Satchel Charge and Relay Orders on a character with Diplomat.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:47 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

barzillai wrote:
Nice set. Really like the Squib Trader. Need to go confirm if a character can Relay Orders to itself, even if not, should be handy to put Satchel Charge and Relay Orders on a character with Diplomat.

I agree. I guess I could put Satchel Charge on a main piece like Revan or Vader, but am I really going to be giving up my attacks just to blow open a door? More often I think I'd be wanting to use my minor pieces in that role.

And the Diplomat is a great way to do that. I could see some fun interactions with the OR Senator: blow up a previously-locked door and then give a free attack (via CE) to Atton or Carth. The Squib Trader will work seamlessly and really deepen the game when used well.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:40 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

I was thinking how nice squib trader would be with the IG-88 crew, you can give them their own way to blow up doors as they move through as a team.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:49 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Azavander wrote:
I was thinking how nice squib trader would be with the IG-88 crew, you can give them their own way to blow up doors as they move through as a team.

Yes, but do you want to give up your attacks as you move ahead? I'd rather put Satchel Charge on a Caamasi Noble, who will also be useful for providing cover. Either option can work though...that's one of the cool things about the Squib Trader! :)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:38 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

thereisnotry wrote:
Azavander wrote:

Yes, but do you want to give up your attacks as you move ahead? I'd rather put Satchel Charge on a Caamasi Noble, who will also be useful for providing cover. Either option can work though...that's one of the cool things about the Squib Trader! :)

My thinking was something like set up adjacent, start by squib trader giving IG satchel charge, the IG runs up 6 and blows a door (if there is one.) Then next activation the other IG's advanced through. Then they keep alternating though a building working like a good self contained strike team. Though I agree after you mentioned it, adding it to a piece that you do not want to waste an attack with is good. I really like the options and flavor you could have.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:28 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

barzillai wrote:

No, a character with Relay Orders will not be within range of itselt. You will need to be within ranger of another source of the CE.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:28 pm 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

The biggest problem with the squib trader is that his supplies abilities replace turns. So he can't move along with the rest of your squad unless you have some othe way of moving him like swap or levitate.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:29 pm 
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina

I remain convinced that the squid trader is not useful as a competitive piece and will have no effect on the tournament meta. Maybe it could be useful in some goofball squads, but I'm honestly not even sure about that.

Bao-Dur is really cool, I like the Triumverate, Annie Bo Solo Bannie's ability intrigues me, and Lowbacca should appear in a lot of squads. Oh, and that new Jabba looks fun as hell, and I appreciate the option to recreate Kevin J. Anderson's IG-88 uber alles scenario. Suppressive firepower is awesome, Mandalore the Vindicated is scary, and the Vong are finally getting some options that seem as though they could win games. Oh, and Darth Nihilus will be AMAZING in Tile Wars and probably hardly played outside of it, but I'm cool with that because what a fun piece.

The only big downer for me is the Mandalorian training sergeant, a piece that manages to simultaneously cost too much, do too much, and pulls the biggest NPE in the entire game out of its ass. Covert ops training should never appear on a piece again, and that's all I'm going to say about it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:08 pm 
Major Tierce
Major Tierce

NPE?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:15 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

urbanjedi wrote:
NPE?

Negative play experience

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:19 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

We had a talk in our playgroup on Saturday about the new set, people were most impressed by Satele Shan as the piece that's going to have an impact. I think she's probably going straight into the Tier 1 OR build as melee interference/surgical strike piece along with Bastila, Atton and/or Carth, and an OR Senator.

People in the our playgroup were also a bit perplexed by the Squib Trader hype - the general feeling was that it's just going to play too slow to work well.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:24 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

greentime wrote:
Covert ops training should never appear on a piece again, and that's all I'm going to say about it.

Covert Ops Training is on the Covert Ops Clone Trooper (22pts) as well.

It seems that the best counters to the Lancer (COT and Jedi Reflexes) also kill regular melee strategies as well. :(

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:15 pm 
Major Tierce
Major Tierce

If you think of it in the abstract, against a melee team all it really does is give everyone parry (or pheremones or block or whatever). It isn't really much different than reiikken or wedge giving everyone evade.

The mando will be much more useful for his battle ready ability and his ability to hand out parry/evade than COT IMO.